News Article: CFN: SEC Preview - Alabama vs. Georgia

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I'm more concerned with shutting down their running game. If they can't run, they simple WILL NOT beat us. Assuming we can keep their running game in check, we've got this - a one-dimensional team can't beat a CNS defense..

Their backs are more fast and nimble than strong, right? LSU had the powerful..strong backs, and A&M had Houdini as a QB. I think it will be easier to stop UGA's run game.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I love how they focus on our two tough ones as proof but say UGA has grown from theirs. No they didn't. Despite six turnovers and Florida's worst in the SEC outside Opelika offense - UGA win by a TD.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Georgia is a well rounded team, they can throw the ball and run it too.
SO CAN WE...
I see that Georgia has a good Defense.
SO DO WE...
I see Georgia runs a 3-4 Defense...
SO DO WE...

If we play our game we win a hard fought game.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I am surprisingly relaxed about this game. They are just hyping to get the interest up. Only way Georgia wins is if Murray has the game of his life and their defense plays like they did against Florida. Even them (see LSU this year) we still can win.

Last edited:

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Both defenses have played against 2 offenses ranked in the top 30. Bama: aTm (#3) and UT (#20). GA: UT(#20) and GT (#28).

Against the common opponent of those four, Bama - on the road - held UT to 23 points below their average and 194 yards below their avg. GA - at home - allowed UT to score 8 points more than their average and 2 yards more than their average. The common opponent comparison weighs heavily in favor of Bama.

Against Georgia Tech, the Bulldogs, held them to 26 points below average and 33 yds below average. Bama held aTm to 16 points below their average and 134 yards below their average. This comparison is a mixed bag since a)UGA won and Bama lost; and b) aTm's offense is night and day better than GT's -- so hard to determine who gets the edge. One significant stat is that both of these opponents ran for over 4.5 yds per carry against GA.

Both offenses have played against 2 teams that rank in the top 20 defenses in the country: Vandy (#18), FL (#5) and Michigan (#12) and LSU (#9). No common opponents here.

Against Vandy, GA scored 30 points more than the 'dores allow and 241 more yards than the defense normally gives up. The 'Dawgs scored 5 more points and 10 less yards than the Gators allow. Against the Gators, GA was able to start 4 possessions in FL territory due to turnovers (3 inside the 26 yd line), coming away with only 10 points.

Against Michigan, Bama scored 22 more points and had 120 more yards than UM allowed on the season. Against LSU, Bama scored 4 more points 35 more yards than the Tigers gave up on average during the season. Of note, Bama averaged 6.6 yds per carry against the Tigers (#10 rushing D nationally) and absolutely rammed it down their throat when the game was on the line.

The bottom line on this - for me, at least - is that against the common opponent, our defense was far superior. GA really struggled to stop the run against the two best offenses they faced, while Bama averaged over 6 yards per carry against the two best defenses it has faced. This should be the difference in this game. Throw out the Vandy and Michigan games and compare our game against LSU and GA vs FL - the two toughest defenses either team faced. LSU played the game of their lives; yet Bama withstood the test and rammed it down their throats when the game was on the line. FL turned the ball over SIX times (4 in their own territory) and GA could only turn that into a 8 point victory.

Anything can happen; but Bama should win this game. It's why they are favored. And for some reason, I just cannot get the UT and KY games for GA out of my mind. We haven't struggled with anyone we shouldn't have.

rhm54

1st Team
Nov 30, 2006
I hate to be the negative nelly but, logically I see this as being a loss for us. We could win, but I would put the odds 60/40 in favor of Georgia.

Why?

Georgia runs the spread offense very well - This has given us issues in the LSU and A&M game

Our Style of Rush - The mush rush works well most of the time but in this case we need quick pressure on Murray or he will tear us apart.

Georgia is talented in both the run and the pass

Georgia is extremely talented on D

Our receiver core is depleted.

Our running back core is depleted.

My best guess on this game is Georgia 24 Bama 16 and I HATE to say it. I hope I am wrong, God I hope I am wrong.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I think the game ends up being a defensive struggle. Turnovers may be the deciding factor. I beleive Murray will be more prone to pass and thus be more likely to make mistakes since I don't think they will be able to run on us. Whichever team can establish the run will win IMO.

I think our backs are more physical and we have a better O-line which will allow us run the ball effectively enough to hit a few critcal 3rd down passes to keep drives alive. My guess is we win 17-10.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I was worried about this game Sunday morning, now not so much.

I think the difference is going to be the fact our boys have been in MANY big games the last five years. Since losing to Utah to endd 2008 - a game that meant more to them - we are very good in pressure games. We seem to have more trouble when we aren't. I guess we could say aTm was an exception, but Murray is no Manziel. Recall that after three lightning quick drives, he only put nine points on us and we still had a shot to win. Plus, Richt has a habit of coming up lame in big games (2005 WVA, any time nearly against UF).

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
I hate to be the negative nelly but, logically I see this as being a loss for us. We could win, but I would put the odds 60/40 in favor of Georgia.

Why?

Georgia runs the spread offense very well - This has given us issues in the LSU and A&M game

Our Style of Rush - The mush rush works well most of the time but in this case we need quick pressure on Murray or he will tear us apart.

My best guess on this game is Georgia 24 Bama 16 and I HATE to say it. I hope I am wrong, God I hope I am wrong.
When is the last time Murry tore up a good defense?

And it isn't like we have chopped liver for an offense, in fact our o-line against their front 7 might be the biggest advantage for us.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009

Why?

Damn, should we even show up to the game ? Seems to me we should go ahead and forfeit based on how you think.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Georgia's defense has given up 1,900 yards rushing this season. Eddie Lacy and TJ Yeldon are the best tandem of backs that they will see all year. Not to mention the Tide's offensive line is extremely talented. I'd argue that Amari Cooper is the best receiver for either team, too. Remember that Georgia has lost two of their better receivers this year as well in Michael Bennett and Marlon Brown.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Why?

We've played a tougher schedule that UGA and have a better scoring offense and scoring defense than they do. Where are you getting your info?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Why?

I see you fixed your classification of their offense in another post. I do ask, though - when did LSU hurt us with the spread offense?

Bama uses the mush rush on mobile QBs. Murray isn't Johnny Football. He's mobile enough but won't require the mush rush.

Talent without discipline and unity doesn't equal greatness.

Neither is 100%, but neither is depleted, either.

With all of your points, you think Bama only gives up 24 and is fortunate enough to score 16? Wouldn't have expected that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.