Link: Kirby Smart won't leave mentor Nick Saban until he has opportunity for success

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
Not at all. I am one of the few who would still let him coach the game. What most are saying is they just wouldn't trust him because it would be a conflict of interest. Auburn wouldn't let him continue anyway. Pat Dye would require him to start recruiting right a way.

I don't see it happening either way, if it was Nick Saban would have had a presser by now clearing things up for his players and the fans.

Wow! So it isn't about championships? You hate your rival more than you want to win? I really do not understand SEC fans.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Wow! So it isn't about championships? You hate your rival more than you want to win? I really do not understand SEC fans.
I don't see how either side would let him stay to coach.

You have to understand Auburn fans. They hate Alabama more than they love Auburn. At this point in time, it is more important that Alabama lose than for Auburn to get a good head coach. They absolutely would not tolerate his accepting the Auburn job and coaching Alabama in the bowl game. It will not happen...

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Kirby has been with Saban for many years. What useful information could he garner from putting together one more game plan or coaching one more game? The real potential for damage comes from hiring away other members of the coaching staff, possibly convincing players to transfer, taking committments with him, etc. Not letting him coach one more game, a game he helped us get to would be petty and only serve to create animosity between coaches.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
I don't see it happening either way, if it was Nick Saban would have had a presser by now clearing things up for his players and the fans.
According to al.com last night Saban will not have any comment through this process. So don't expect anything from Saban until after the fact (if there is a fact), and at that point you'll only hear positive from Saban one way or the other.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Kirby is a serious candidate for the Auburn job and yes he could take it if offered. He would have full control with regards to the football program, which coaches to hire, etc... Is he ready for such a jump? That is the question. Will he make a good coach? Coaches are mercenaries, he has two national championship rings as an assistant. He will not be missed if he were not to coach in Miami..

He needs to do what is best for himself and his family. But he also needs to remember that if he goes to Auburn, he will be viewed as Pat Dye is, a traitor to the Bama Nation.
Well, I would think of the head coaching jobs open why would he pick the AuBarn over the other schools.

He has the following to contend with at AuBarn.

1. External power brokers telling him how to run the team. Pat Day et al:,
2. Money Brokers supporting the power brokers.
3. A NCAA investigation that could and probally will go back to Scam Newton.
4. When you have a fire burning-you dont pour gasoline on it. I would safely say 30% of the Bama nation would want to see him fail.
5. If he did not have other choices and wasnt making a Million a year the the University of AuBarn might be a good fit. But look at the hate that Pat Dye has for Bama and he wont National Championships with us. He just a sad old man.
6. We all know AuBarn would love to do this just to make the Bama nation mad.

And these are just opinions . I had rather see him go to GA or UT or join Tim Brando on his show.

All in all he is a great coach but I hope he thinks this thru completely.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Doesn't everyone think that after the interview, Coach had a long conversation with Kirby about the few pros and long list of cons at the barn?

gwilliams

1st Team
Aug 29, 2011
He has another program hanging on that same vine as well.
There are schools all over looking for coaches. It's a coaches market to get hired. Probably a lot of posturing going on by the agents of these coaching candidates. Like OSU's Gundy openly inviting UT to his house.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
According to al.com last night Saban will not have any comment through this process. So don't expect anything from Saban until after the fact (if there is a fact), and at that point you'll only hear positive from Saban one way or the other.
If he is offered by Auburn, I believe Bama will give him a hushed Coach in Waiting position without a raise. He's not even 40 and should wait on the LEXUS.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
If he is offered by Auburn, I believe Bama will give him a hushed Coach in Waiting position without a raise. He's not even 40 and should wait on the LEXUS.
A few years ago that would have probably happened, but the HCIW has pretty much died a slow death. Just not the thing any more. Plus that would mean Saban gives Kirby some type of definitive time frame for his coaching end. I just don't see that happening just yet either. He still has too much in him.

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
Which tells me, its just practice. Does anyone honestly think CNS would stay hush hush if he thought we would be losing a huge part of our team before the biggest game in their lives?

P. C. Pachyderm

All-SEC
Sep 28, 2006
Pell City, AL
I suppose I wouldn't have a huge issue with Smart taking the opportunity, as long as it were done with class and with respect for Coach Saban and Alabama. If he went to Auburn and in the process tried to gut Bama's coaching staff or recruiting class, that's another story.

I know it's a top 15 job and a major SEC opportunity--not to mention a lot of money if the rumors are true--but because of all the unusual factors involved, it just doesn't sound right to me. Maybe it won't to Kirby either.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Alright ya'll, none of the stuff being posted is new and the meltdown needs to be curved. Nothing has happened yet so try not to go crazy until something does. ALL Rumor at this point and most coming from "sources" and message boards. Remember how Petrino was a done deal, then Fisher, now Smart....

I'll panic too, but only when the time comes.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Ya know -- I may be off base.....but I wish some of our coaches would consider that there are three programs that they really shouldn't consider working for ---

Auburn, LSU, and UT ---

They have the rest of the country to peddle their wares -- but interviewing at Auburn is like Robin interviewing with The Joker.....you just don't do that kind of stuff

(love Kirby, but to me, that's a bit uncool)
thats us as fans, not coaches making career choices...just have to keep it in perspective....

bottom line, its a major program who cabn afford to pay a hefty salary...

they have the ability to recruit, and play in the best conference in football...

taking off the auburn hate goggles, its not a bad entry poiont for a first time coach...better than an arkansas state or memphis, etc..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Has a coordinator ever left a team before a national championship game without coaching his team through that game?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.