Bama Hammer blog: Is a Loss to Georgia The End of an Era?

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
IMO, a loss to Georgia would ONLY signify what Nico spoke about earlier this year; he (and other seniors) wanted to ensure this was not a repeat of 2010. Although it cannot be an "exact" repeat at this point, a loss to Georgia would place Bama's 2012 campaign on a par with 2010...maybe not for exactly the same reasons, but the end result would be close to the same.
Bama will be in the hunt every year CNS is at the helm.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
IMO, a loss to Georgia would ONLY signify what Nico spoke about earlier this year; he (and other seniors) wanted to ensure this was not a repeat of 2010. Although it cannot be an "exact" repeat at this point, a loss to Georgia would place Bama's 2012 campaign on a par with 2010...maybe not for exactly the same reasons, but the end result would be close to the same.
Bama will be in the hunt every year CNS is at the helm.
AJ (if he decides to forego), almost our entire offensive line, Jessie, Nico, and Robert will be significant replacement challenges. A loss to Georgia, despite our coach, system and unmatched tradition, might lead some to think that it is our turn to tromp around in the wilderness for a season or two.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I see the theme a little harsh and finite which is typical of today's media. We are experiencing something totally new to Alabama football, the unpredictability of underclassman leaving for the draft and the effect it can have with depth.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
AJ (if he decides to forego), almost our entire offensive line, Jessie, Nico, and Robert will be significant replacement challenges. A loss to Georgia, despite our coach, system and unmatched tradition, might lead some to think that it is our turn to tromp around in the wilderness for a season or two.
People will think what they want (and FTR, 60% isn't "almost all" :biggrin:) - CK and Steen will be back, I'm pretty sure. Ivory will take over from Jessie, Nico has been a perennial underachiever (up to this year), and talent behind RL is impressive - any leadership there at all and Bama's secondary will be better next year.
Who was qb when CNS won his NC at whoville? I don't think AJ will be a first round pick unless he has an unbelievable SECCG and BCSCG, and Bama wins both. "Good" numbers in either won't put him in first round, he has to be off the charts good. I disagree with that sentiment, but for some reason he's not gettin the love from pro scouts that he should. That could change.
I'm gonna go on the record and say that bama will NOT lose 3 games in a season again under CNS (or not more than once more), and he will finish 50% of his remaining years at Bama with less than 2 losses. How's that? :eek:

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
It is an interesting thought. But I think I only agree if for some reason CNS does not return next year and/or next season is his last with us. While he is here we will be be quite good and occasionally dominating.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
I just don't see AJ going pro. He would benefit sooooo much more from a draft status standpoint to stay for his senior year.
Wholeheartedly agree, but assuming he doesn't for thread discussion-sake, don't you think a loss to UGA would set the tongues wagging and make for an uneasy summer on the Capstone?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
This end of an era crap is simply an opinion of someone who has nothing else to but sit around all day thinking about what might happen or what something might mean. I will tell you what it means to me. It means the SEC is way better top to bottom than when CNS first set foot in Tuscaloosa with the exception of ut and au.

Think about the coaching upgrades; Mullen rather than Croom, Freeze rather than Orgeron, Franklin rather than Johnson, Petrino rather than Nutt. Then add Miles, Spurrier, Richt, now Muschamp, not to mention the addition of TAMU and Sumlin. On the other hand only au and ut have backed up, UK is worse off, but after all it is Kentucky. If we lose today or if we win and then lose to ND, how could you construe that to be the end of an era? You cannot win very game and sometimes you lose because you get outplayed. To me that is very simple to understand.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i think people are reading too much into georgia this year. before the season began, the consensus was that georgia would skate to the seccg with no losses (maybe 1, but most people thought 0) and probably get hammered by either bama or lsu. if they do win, it will do nothing to slow down the dominant program that alabama has become.

remember, this was supposed to be a "down" year for us with all that we were replacing. we are now in year 5 of one of the most dominant periods of alabama football ever, that is not suddenly going away.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
This end of an era crap is simply an opinion of someone who has nothing else to but sit around all day thinking about what might happen or what something might mean. I will tell you what it means to me. It means the SEC is way better top to bottom than when CNS first set foot in Tuscaloosa with the exception of ut and au.

Think about the coaching upgrades; Mullen rather than Croom, Freeze rather than Orgeron, Franklin rather than Johnson, Petrino rather than Nutt. Then add Miles, Spurrier, Richt, now Muschamp, not to mention the addition of TAMU and Sumlin. On the other hand only au and ut have backed, UK is worse off, but after all it is Kentucky. If we lose today or if we win and then lose to ND, how could you construe that to be the end of an era? You cannot win very game and sometimes you lose because you get outplayed. To me that is very simple to understand.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I don't think this era at Bama will be over until Saban leaves. However, I do think it will bring us back to the pack a little bit because I think we will slip a little bit next year already due to losses on both lines. I think Nick Saban hates losing as much as most of us Bama fans hate losing. We will be rocking as long as he is here.
With that said, I really hope we beat Georgia so badly that Notre Dame players and coahes crap their pants. Then I hope we beat Notre Dame so badly on the field that they do it again. Roll Tide!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Where do they get these ideas?
A loss to Ga. would hurt, but it wouldn't be the end of the world either...
You can't exactly call a loss the end of an era...
Please remember that Coach Mark Richt has been on the proverbial 'Hot Seat'
for a couple of years Yet they still play football in the Peach State.

Also remember that we didn't exactly go the way of the 'Dodo Bird' after the 2010 season.

Last edited:

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
I remember a lot of people crowing about the end of an era after the 2010 Iron Bowl loss too. We all see how that has turned out. This era will only end whenever Coach Saban rides off to the lake house, regardless of what happens in the game today...

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
No disrepect to youngsters but the author of this article is a freshman at Alabama. That means he's 18 or 19 years old. Not a whole lot of life experiences to be making such bold statements. Maybe in his short life span all this seems so epic but for those of us who have followed Bama since the CPB days it's just another period of dominance. It too, will come to end at some point but I doubt today's game is going to be the defining moment. Even if CNS were to decide to start slowing down (highly unlikely) we are still going to be good for several more years to come based on where the program is.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
This blog by Kevin Connell on the bamahammer.com website caused me to reflect on the historic significance of tomorrow's game against Georgia:
http://bamahammer.com/2012/11/30/alabama-football-is-a-loss-to-georgia-the-end-of-an-era/.

Let me say at the outset that I expect Alabama to beat Georgia. Still, college football games seldom come with a higher upside for the winner and a lower downside for the loser than tomorrow's SECCG. If Alabama beats Georgia, and goes on to beat Notre Dame in the BCSNC game, all of Alabama's historically significant football rivals will, in some manner, have been vanquished (at least for now) under Nick Saban's tenure. During the Saban era, the Auburn "streak" ended and Tuberville fled the state. Tennessee now occupies the bottom quarter of the SEC, and the Great Pumpkin no longer coaches. The Tide took down Texas - a team Alabama had never before beaten - and in Pasadena of all places. Hercules had 12 labors, but it seems to me that Nick Saban has only one major exorcism left to perform at Alabama and that involves Notre Dame. In the Hercules legend, the 12th labor - kidnapping the beast called Cerberus from the Underworld - was the most dangerous of all since no mortal had ever returned from Hades alive. Godspeed to Nick!
No doubt we have some dragons to slay.

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD
Another factor that goes against the grain of an "end of era" thesis connected with a Georgia win today is the Alabama schedule for 2013. With both Auburn and Tennessee in a weakened state, the only teams on our 2013 schedule that look to be at all challenging currently are Virginia Tech, TX A&M, and LSU.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Another factor that goes against the grain of an "end of era" thesis connected with a Georgia win today is the Alabama schedule for 2013. With both Auburn and Tennessee in a weakened state, the only teams on our 2013 schedule that look to be at all challenging currently are Virginia Tech, TX A&M, and LSU.
va tech is not really good right now, not sure what their prospects are for next year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.