Murray was hit CLEAN by Dial. After an interception quarterback becomes a DEFENDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Let me see if I understand this correctly. Subject is QB after change of possession.

If you are a QB holding for a FG attempt and that kick is blocked and is being advanced toward the other goal, it is OK for you to be trampled, from behind, after you rise to give chase. Happened to McCarron.

If you are a QB that has thrown a pass and that pass is intercepted and is being advanced toward the other goal, it is not OK for you to be blocked, from the front, after you give chase. Happened to Murray.

Do I have it right?

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Agree. Danielson would not give that up either. Do you recall him saying several times that it was tipped like he was trying to convince everyone as well as himself. Then top it all off, he brings it up later and says he went to the replay official during commercial and confirmed it. If he and that replay official thinks that ball was tipped, both are blind or biased.
I thought it was pretty daring of him to get into the refs business like that, and it made me uncomfortable after he lobbied incorrectly on a couple of occasions, like the tip. I would bet that the replay booth has the game with audio going to ensure all is well. I would be interested to find that out because Gary made it sound like they all stayed in sync or something.

I dont believe he will be suspended for the block, but I do think it wasnt necessary
That's getting into a grey area that could undermine the enjoyment of the game. Knocking the crap out of someone is usually not necessary in itself, but that's what we pay to see. Cornelius doesn't have the most popular print because it was great and necessary :) It was necessarily great.

Last edited:

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
It was totally unnecessary and could have easily cost us 15 yards. I'm pretty sure that if AJ had been on the receiving end of a hit like that, few Bama fans would try to justify it. I guarantee CNS didn't like Dial's decision, especially if he's suspended for the NCG, and either way it goes would not surprise me.

Having said that, I will say this, it didn't affect the outcome of this game. It was post-possesion so even with a flag it still would've been Bama's ball, albeit 15 yards farther away from the goal, and may have affected Bama's clock management...who knows.

Whether the hit was legal, illegal, or "just football" I bet QD feels the wrath of CNS.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
So, to rephrase, Ritter was the official standing right behind the play who could clearly see Murray's name and number on the back of his jersey?

There's no way Ritter did not know that was the QB. He was, however, in an ideal position to see that Dial led with his shoulder.
Yes, and I agree.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Outside of Gary, Verne and discussion boards, has anyone on the Alabama staff or the SEC office made any comments about the hit? I keep seeing references to "if he's suspended for the BCSNCG" -- do we even know if the block is under review?

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
brando just said on feinbaum that dial would be suspended if there was an sec game next week. lol, these guys are comical

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
The NCAA defines one as "one who because his physical position and focus of concentration is especially vulnerable to injury." So, it appears to me, that the only way you can prevent a distracted player from being "defenseless" is to yell "Here I come" at the top of your lungs...
Or make anyone over 275 wear one of those backup warning beepers like on a dump truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The bright side is that the only reason we're talking about it is because we won. If we had lost the 17-page thread would be about CNS clock management or - most probably - screams that Milliner picked it off and we got robbed. Gonna watch it again before I comment on the play itself.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
It was totally unnecessary and could have easily cost us 15 yards. I'm pretty sure that if AJ had been on the receiving end of a hit like that, few Bama fans would try to justify it. I guarantee CNS didn't like Dial's decision, especially if he's suspended for the NCG, and either way it goes would not surprise me.

Having said that, I will say this, it didn't affect the outcome of this game. It was post-possesion so even with a flag it still would've been Bama's ball, albeit 15 yards farther away from the goal, and may have affected Bama's clock management...who knows.

Whether the hit was legal, illegal, or "just football" I bet QD feels the wrath of CNS.
I happen to agree with thsi statement...know the situation, and dont unload on a player when it might be interpreted as a penalty...

i think that in hindsight, thet hit wasnt necessary, and could have hurt the team with 15...which would have been unfortunate.

calmer heads, playing under control ...

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
Can't listen - what was PF take on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
he's not really speaking .... he's allowing brando to run the show right now and brando is simply out yelling over every tide fan and cutting them off after one or two words. so far has called bama fans about 7 different names including smartasses, lunatics, and idiots.

he's making no new friends that's for sure

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The bright side is that the only reason we're talking about it is because we won. If we had lost the 17-page thread would be about CNS clock management or - most probably - screams that Milliner picked it off and we got robbed. Gonna watch it again before I comment on the play itself.
For those who got to see the live action broadcast, CBS afforded more than enough opportunities to review Dial's block. :)

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Yes it is: LINK.
Shaw's statements are confusing. I'm surprised he calls it a foul since by his own admission two key questions appear to remain unanswered:

"What the determination needs to be is was this a defenseless player and was contact initiated above the shoulders? When we go through video review of it, that's what we'll have to determine."
I assume the referee answered these questions for himself during the live action.

Last edited:

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
Are there any more angles of the block? All I keep seeing is the one video and I know there were a lot of cameras in the dome Saturday.

Seems like if you lead with your shoulder, your helmet(head) will be right there with it. After all, Aren't they attached?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.