Discussion: Prevent D vs Regular D? (Georgia's last drive)

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I know this question has to be in some of your minds. With less pass rush Murray hit some big passes and could have hit the game winner. Perhaps Coach Smart felt that time was in our favor and as it worked out he was right. Also, there was concern about the home run ball since Murray had a hot hand.

I know we are not the coaches (and I for one am glad we aren't)....but just for discussion....would you have preferred Prevent D or Regular D on that last drive?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I just don't believe in the prevent. I've seen enough of it to know that it more times than not gives the other team one more real opportunity to win the game. I think coaches, in that part of the game, where it is intense, get caught up in the idea of it and how it's "suppose to work". Rather than how it seems to always actually work. If it weren't for Moseley tipping that ball we might be on the side LSU was after running their prevent on us down in Baton Rouge.

Perrett4Bama

All-American
Aug 28, 2001
Panama City, Florida
I was SCREAMING for the reg D at the time because of the pressure we put on him in the previous 3 and out but I'm glad coach Smart did what he did now that it's over....:) Wow, what a game.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
We were running a zone designed to keep the offense from running out of bounds and stopping the clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JTH

1st Team
Sep 23, 2006
Woodstock GA
We should have brought more than 3. Murray will make throws all day long when he has time, but when he is pressured he makes mistakes.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
it wasnt a prevent defense. it was just a soft defense to defend passes with an extra guy while rushing only 3 players. coaches may not have trusted our pass defense at that point. it almost worked with the close pick attempt by Dee

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
We were running a zone designed to keep the offense from running out of bounds and stopping the clock.

Exactly & CNS explained it had just one of the early catches we had tackled before they went out of bounds you would have seen 25 seconds Gone. He was trying to end it early. If we had picked up the first down our last time out then it would have been knee time.

squib

1st Team
Sep 24, 2005
I just don't believe in the prevent. I've seen enough of it to know that it more times than not gives the other team one more real opportunity to win the game. I think coaches, in that part of the game, where it is intense, get caught up in the idea of it and how it's "suppose to work". Rather than how it seems to always actually work. If it weren't for Moseley tipping that ball we might be on the side LSU was after running their prevent on us down in Baton Rouge.
LSU didn't run a prevent set in that last series. Bama wasn't in a true prevent yesterday either. DBs just played back to keep the play in front of them. Basically same as what LSU did.

Against LSU, Yeldon was matched on a linebacker that got out of position. It was a great call and a slight error on defense that resulted in Yeldon scoring.

And everytime they caught a pass it was for a first down to stop the clock, or they got out of bounds. I understand the concept of prevent, but we don't have the secondary to hold up to good receivers and a hot QB if said QB gets time to scan, set, and release it. I know we were worried about giving up a big play, and of course I'm glad in the end it worked. But the only time Murray seemed to not make a play was when we were in his face and forcing him to throw the ball before he was ready to.

WCS Dad

Scout Team
Oct 2, 2004
Rainbow City, AL
The prevent 'prevents' you from winning a lot of games, in my opinion. In our situation a sack also keeps the clock running. Just never been in favor of it, no matter who's playing.

LSU didn't run a prevent set in that last series. Bama wasn't in a true prevent yesterday either. DBs just played back to keep the play in front of them. Basically same as what LSU did.

Against LSU, Yeldon was matched on a linebacker that got out of position. It was a great call and a slight error on defense that resulted in Yeldon scoring.
He wasn't out of position. He made the right read, but Bama made a better play. But anyway, we won...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Alabama was playing a defense that is built to take away the sidelines which would effectively ended the game. They had 3 passes to the TE where he got out of bounds against the defense...if like 2 of those 3 were inbounds, the game is over.

Yet again the defense didn't execute in coverage well and it nearly cost us.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
i dont like the prevent but im not the coach. We werent going to get pressure with a three man rush and that was what we needed, to get after Murray and effect the passer, not let him pick us apart no db can cover all day.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
If you rush three, then why not two. You won't get pressure with 3 anyway. If you get one sack, the clock runs like crazy. When they end the game on the five, "It worked" is a bit weak.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I don't care if you run goalline, prevent, 4-6, 5-2, 11-0, if you don't tackle it won't matter.

Gurley ran HARD yesterday, but the amount of missed tackles was disheartening.

Further, on the last drive, on every underneath pass that they threw, we should have attacked the ball carrier immediately. But on at least 2 or 3 plays, we failed to do that. Their TE caught a pass and had all the time in the world to get out of bounds.

However, I'd be wrong if I didn't point out the fact that we were playing a bunch of greenhorns back there. Aside from Milliner & Lester everyone in our secondary saw limited or zero playing time in our defense last season.

We won the game. That's what's encouraging.

But if we're ever in that situation again, I hope our guys would know the urgency of TACKLING the ballcarrier and not allowing him to get out of bounds

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We probably haven't used 3-3 zone like the last defensive series much this season...they didn't execute it well at all. That whole defense is built to encourage short, middle-of-the-field passes that you tackle before they can get out of bounds. We just make a tackle as the defense is designed to allow 2 times, that game is over before they got across the midfield marker.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
In the college game, guarding the sidelines isn't that fruitful as a first down will stop the clock as well.

I think if CNS had it to do over, I doubt that he would rush only UGA again with only 3 men.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
My wife wanted to know why I was going crazy, and I told her it was because we were only rushing 3. We had seemed to make Murray uncomfortable with 4, but 3 rushers just weren't getting there. We finally went to 4 but my thought was just bury them back deep and don't even let him get a throw off. Krymsonman

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL
A QB like Murry can usually chew up a prevent defense. I guess the coaches were thinking since they were out of time-outs that was the best defense to run, keep them in front of you and keep them in bounds.

But back to your question, I would have rushed 4 DL and blitzed 1 LB. Still leaves 6 in coverage. Prevent defense usually prevents you from winning. Just ask LSU.

runatl

Suspended
Dec 5, 2011
The only benefit of a prevent D is to make them do something dumb (a lot more likely when there's no timeouts) becasue they are hurrying.
And it almost worked -- Milliner almost intercepted a pass

After that, we should've gone to normal. The review after the interception gave UGA time to go over plays on how to shred the prevent.

And they did.

We were a freak deflection that happened to land in someone's arms away from potentially losing that game. If the pass hadn't been caught, anything could've happened

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.