New polls are out

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
Interesting that they put Northern Illinois at #16. Being #16 or higher guaranteed them a spot in one of the BCS games. I saw a projection for them to play FSU in the Orange Bowl instead of Sugar. Looks like OU will go to the Cotton as of now.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
It has to be the first time that the SEC has six of the top ten teams in the coaches poll. That's pretty amazing.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Interesting that they put Northern Illinois at #16. Being #16 or higher guaranteed them a spot in one of the BCS games. I saw a projection for them to play FSU in the Orange Bowl instead of Sugar. Looks like OU will go to the Cotton as of now.
Coach Saban is correct about the flaw in the system. Give them some cash, but let Georgia play in the BCS Bowl

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Bama is 76 pts behind ND, which means that 16 people voted Bama 3rd OR a few less voted them worse than 3rd --

Was that an attempt to get UF in 2nd place? Ohio State is 122 pts behind Bama -- which is over 2 rankings worth of votes worse than us....but a tight cluster after that with OSU, UF, Oregon and UGA....

I'm guessing a few of the AP voters moved UF and OSU ahead of Bama in their rankings maybe a couple had both of them ahead

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Bama is 76 pts behind ND, which means that 16 people voted Bama 3rd OR a few less voted them worse than 3rd --

Was that an attempt to get UF in 2nd place? Ohio State is 122 pts behind Bama -- which is over 2 rankings worth of votes worse than us....but a tight cluster after that with OSU, UF, Oregon and UGA....

I'm guessing a few of the AP voters moved UF and OSU ahead of Bama in their rankings maybe a couple had both of them ahead
And we beat Georgia who beat Florida.

CLINT

1st Team
Aug 11, 2010
Central Illinois
While I live literally 30 miles from Northern Illinois' campus and while I think it's awesome that a local team is being talked about with national powehouses.... there are SO many more well deserving teams to go to a BCS bowl. I mean Georgia deserves something better than the Cotton bowl. The best bowl game was played last night, Congrats to Northern Illinois and like CapstoneTider said, give them some money as they earned some BCS money by doing their part and winning their conference and being in the top 16...but in a BCS game we want to see teams like Oregon, Georgia, K-State not MAC Mid-majors. Would be like when Connecticut went to what was it? The Fiesta bowl or Orange bowl a couple years ago...Snoozefest and like only a few thousand of their fans made the trip.

-Clint

CmdrThor

1st Team
Oct 29, 2008
Marietta, GA

I would say more likely that some PAC 12 homers have Oregon at 2. Good thing the AP poll is meaningless for the BCS.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
While I live literally 30 miles from Northern Illinois' campus and while I think it's awesome that a local team is being talked about with national powehouses.... there are SO many more well deserving teams to go to a BCS bowl. I mean Georgia deserves something better than the Cotton bowl. The best bowl game was played last night, Congrats to Northern Illinois and like CapstoneTider said, give them some money as they earned some BCS money by doing their part and winning their conference and being in the top 16...but in a BCS game we want to see teams like Oregon, Georgia, K-State not MAC Mid-majors. Would be like when Connecticut went to what was it? The Fiesta bowl or Orange bowl a couple years ago...Snoozefest and like only a few thousand of their fans made the trip.

-Clint
Great post.

That game could be played a number of different ways...
Their used to be these two college kids that did the late night shows who if you named an actor could trace through movies and association back to Kevin Bacon every time :)

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
There should be a sliding scale with conference teams getting BCS bowls based on % in the final BCS Standings.

That would accommodate all teams based on their performance - regardless of how any conference championship outcome.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
3:08PM EST December 2. 2012 - Four of the Big 12 Conference's five representatives in the USA TODAY Sports Coaches Poll did everything they could to help conference-member Oklahoma's position in the final Bowl Championship Series standings relative to Northern Illinois'.
Among the 59 voters in the coaches poll, Oklahoma's Bob Stoops, Baylor's Art Briles, Iowa State's Paul Rhoads and West Virginia's Dana Holgorsen all either voted the Sooners No. 6 and/or the Mid-American Conference champion Huskies No. 24 in Sunday's final regular-season balloting. Stoops did both.
No other voter had Oklahoma higher than eighth, and only one, Michigan State's Mark Dantonio, had the Sooners that high .

The MAC's six voters — including Northern Illinois' Dave Doeren — cast their ballots in a way that was not as helpful to the Huskies as the Big 12's votes were to the Sooners.
Doeren, Akron's Terry Bowden, Ball State's Pete Lembo, Kent State's Darrell Hazell, Ohio's Frank Solich and Toledo's Matt Campbell all had Oklahoma at No. 10 or No. 11. (Bowden and Lembo had OU 10th.)
Doeren, Bowden and Campbell had the Huskies 14th; Solich had them 15th; Hazell 17th and Lembo 21st

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.