Who's Pulling for the Huskies of NIU?

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
I'm pulling for NIU.... to get run outta the stadium.

It's absolutely absurd and unacceptable that only 2 teams out of Bama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, aTm, and South Carolina are going to BCS bowls just so they can make room for a MAC team who doesn't even have a head coach, and a team like Louisville who lost by nearly 20 to a 7-5 Syracuse and a 5-7 UCONN.

Not to mention Oklahoma getting left out in favor of this garbage. It's entirely unacceptable.

I'm pulling for NIU.... to get run outta the stadium.

It's absolutely absurd and unacceptable that only 2 teams out of Bama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, aTm, and South Carolina are going to BCS bowls just so they can make room for a MAC team who doesn't even have a head coach, and a team like Louisville who lost by nearly 20 to a 7-5 Syracuse and a 5-7 UCONN.

Not to mention Oklahoma getting left out in favor of this garbage. It's entirely unacceptable.
To the people running the system/collecting the money (AD's and Presidents), it's quite acceptable.

And, even though it did happen yesterday, NIU promoted Rod Carey to head coach.

Last edited:

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Re: Who's pulling for the husky's of niu ?

The biggest BCS blunder ever would have to be Oklahoma vs. Connecticut in the Fiesta Bowl played after the 2010 season. This will not be as big a blunder as that, but it will be a close second.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: Who's pulling for the husky's of niu ?

I wonder what the alums of Orange Bowl teams Bucknell, Duquesne, Santa Clara, and Holy Cross think about NIU playing in such a sacred place.
None of those teams played in the Orange Bowl as part of the BCS - the money is the big difference. Huge difference, in fact.

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Except bowl revenue is one of the things that has helped the SEC become even more dominant - by allowing undeserving schools like NIU in instead of, say, UGA, they take a large amount of additional bowl funds out of the pot for the SEC, which would benefit Alabama directly.

The BCS has been pretty spot-on in setting up #1 vs #2 over the years, imo, but these extra rules - 'everybody gets a trophy' - are ridiculous. And dismissing it as if it doesn't matter misses the big picture as it not only cheapens the bowls further, but it takes deserved money directly out of our AD's pocket.
You parsed my quote way out of context, don't you think? I agree with everything you said. Surely my post didn't lead you to believe I think NIU belongs in a bowl game.

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
I do remember how it used to be, and frankly, I'm not going to long for that time or be nostalgic about it. Also, if Alabama had been ranked #6 or #7, most fans would have been disappointed with the game regardless because of the expectation factor. For a major program, it's really the BCS Championship Game or nothing at this point. Go ask Georgia how excited they are to be playing Nebraska.
That's your choice. And, sure, most Alabama fans would be disappointed if we were ranked #6 or #7 rather than playing for it all. That's as it should be. However, If we're not playing for the title, I do care about the game we are playing. If we had lost to LSU and TAMU, I'd be hoping we could play a team that wasn't a laughing stock. If we were ranked 6th or 7th, would you not watch the game if we were playing Oregon or Kansas State? As for Georgia, of course they're not excited about playing Nebraska. They had a chance to play for it all. If it's the BCS or nothing, would you have quit caring had we lost to LSU this year?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
No-win situation all the way around here. The BCS didn't want NIU, but the Boise Rule required them to stash them somewhere.

Just an awful game, had this been scheduled in September it would be on PPV. Attendance and television viewership of this one will be almost non-existent.

For Jimbo and FSU, this one is a motivational nightmare. It's a game you really don't care about, against an opponent who does nothing for you even if you win, played in an in-state location that you just played at two months earlier, and all the while you are taking down to Miami a team notorious for playing down to the opposition.

And honestly, it's not even much of a win for NIU. Much like UConn a couple of years back, they will probably end up losing money left and right because of an inability to sell bowl tickets, and the cash drain will be a major problem for an athletic department that is already fiscally challenged in the first place. And, yeah, there is a good chance you will get outright embarrassed if the opposition actually shows up to game.

Again, no win for everyone involved.

Last edited:

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
I watched the MAC title game on Friday night. Jordan Lynch (NIU qb) is like a poor man's Robert Griffin. Kent St. had no answer for his scrambling. But FSU has a good defense, so they probably can handle him...at least contain him.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You parsed my quote way out of context, don't you think? I agree with everything you said. Surely my post didn't lead you to believe I think NIU belongs in a bowl game.
Nah, was just emphasizing my point - it's easy to gloss over the implications of the non-championship BCS games, I think it's important that everyone realizes how badly the BCS was framed and how it's screwing the SEC (read: Bama) out of MILLIONS of dollars in annual revenue.

It's a HUGE deal to me and I'm sure most every SEC president and AD would agree.

That's your choice. And, sure, most Alabama fans would be disappointed if we were ranked #6 or #7 rather than playing for it all. That's as it should be. However, If we're not playing for the title, I do care about the game we are playing. If we had lost to LSU and TAMU, I'd be hoping we could play a team that wasn't a laughing stock. If we were ranked 6th or 7th, would you not watch the game if we were playing Oregon or Kansas State? As for Georgia, of course they're not excited about playing Nebraska. They had a chance to play for it all. If it's the BCS or nothing, would you have quit caring had we lost to LSU this year?
My interest level in the bowl game would have been significantly less had it been something like the Capital One, Cotton, or Outback.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
Even though it may need a tweak or two, I don't hate the BCS -- overall, it's a pretty good system (better than the upcoming playoff fiasco). If anyone wants to be mad about the NIU situation, they should be mad at the moron voters who ignored NIU's body of work and ranked them in the Top 20.
ESPN/ABC pushed and lobbied all day for them to be ranked 16th or better and they got what they wanted.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
very cool gesture by NIU...

Northern Illinois plans to offer one free ticket per student for the Jan. 1 Orange Bowl game against Florida State in Miami.

Students must pick up the ticket in Miami, according to NIU sports information director Donna Turner.

The Huskies are making their fifth straight bowl appearance and students were offered free tickets to those bowl games, as well.

“We want our students to be a part of it,” Turner said.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
From the football fan part of me...I don't think they should get in over other bcs teams, but it is the rules.

From the mother part of me, I am so happy they get this chance. This is a once in a lifetime chance for them and they won't take it for granted.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.