Is Amari Cooper a Pre-season All-SEC pick next year?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Also, It's crazy that 3 out of the last 4 games that Cooper has went over 100 yards and at least 1 TD. The only game he didn't do that feat was WCU when he didn't play that much.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
He has nearly 900 yards and didn't even start getting big snaps until he caught 2 balls and scored a TD in the Arkansas game. To me, his level of production is more accomplished than what Julio did as a starter from game 1 in 2008. The fact Cooper was going to contribute this year didn't surprise me. The fact Cooper he's now a starter is a little more surprising but not very much. The fact he's our best receiver is kind of crazy because Norwood, Bell, White, and Ch. Jones had a pretty significant amount of experience and talent. The most ridiculous thing is that Chris Black was out-performing Cooper from Spring drills through his Fall camp injury.

It's going to be insane how much potential our passing game could have next year if McCarron returns. Cooper, Norwood, Bell, White, Ch. Jones, Black is an insanely deep rotation. OJ Howard, who I think will come in January 2013, may be the matchup guy we've been looking for at TE too.
You forgot Duron Carter :D

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I kinda figured Duron Carter was not going to pan out when I followed him on twitter. Too much talk about inconsequential crap. Geno Smith kinda struck me somewhat similarly early on but his tweeting habits changed after he got on campus.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I love Julio Jones as much as any Bama fan. Julio is far away the best athlete to ever play WR at Alabama. Amari Cooper is already the best WR to ever play WR at Alabama. Amari, barring injury, will be another 1st rounder.

Have any of us seen a CB that can run with Amari in and out of his breaks? What about going up and getting the ball? The catch over All-American All-Mouth Rambo was a how-to video on going and getting the ball. He is always in the right place when AJ has to leave the pocket, showing incredible awareness for a freshmen WR.

The one thing I will say though, Julio's ceiling is Randy Moss type career, with no ego. Amari Cooper I see as having a Marvin Harrison type ceiling, which is nothing to be ashamed of.

I wouldn't proclaim "best ever" quite yet but he is a very good one indeed. One thing everybody has to consider is that Amari has very good receivers around him in Norwood, Jones, and Bell and White when healthy. Because of those guys abilities to make big plays Amari hasn't been doubled much all season which helped him a lot. Poor Julio was at least doubled most every play of his career at Bama.
Now that he's in the NFL facing single coverage he's beating everybody and it's almost impossible to cover him.
I've stated that I think Amari, as a freshman is a more pure receiver fundamentally than Julio was, but by his Junior year Julio had it pretty much down pat and was probably the best we've ever had. At least the Falcons thought so when they traded four or five picks just to draft him. In two years Amari may be as good or even better but he's not our best ever YET in my opinion.
sip

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
I agree that Julio has figured everything out as far as the minor nuances of playing WR. We still see Julio dropping alot of balls though in the NFL. I think maybe some of those hand injuries damaged nerves in his hands or something. I still think that Amari, compared by the points in their careers, is the better of the two. I just think Julio has the higher ceiling of the two with his athleticism.

I wouldn't proclaim "best ever" quite yet but he is a very good one indeed. One thing everybody has to consider is that Amari has very good receivers around him in Norwood, Jones, and Bell and White when healthy. Because of those guys abilities to make big plays Amari hasn't been doubled much all season which helped him a lot. Poor Julio was at least doubled most every play of his career at Bama.
Now that he's in the NFL facing single coverage he's beating everybody and it's almost impossible to cover him.
I've stated that I think Amari, as a freshman is a more pure receiver fundamentally than Julio was, but by his Junior year Julio had it pretty much down pat and was probably the best we've ever had. At least the Falcons thought so when they traded four or five picks just to draft him. In two years Amari may be as good or even better but he's not our best ever YET in my opinion.
sip

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I agree that Julio has figured everything out as far as the minor nuances of playing WR. We still see Julio dropping alot of balls though in the NFL. I think maybe some of those hand injuries damaged nerves in his hands or something. I still think that Amari, compared by the points in their careers, is the better of the two. I just think Julio has the higher ceiling of the two with his athleticism.
I agree 100% that, at this point, Amari definitely has the edge.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's important to remember that JJ was a running back until his sophomore year and that attitude has stuck with him until today. The receiver I think about when I think of Amari was JJ's competitor for top choice out of HS - AJ Green. AC and AJ both are built more lightly than JJ and will never have the physical strength of JJ, although I wouldn't count either as being week. I do think that both AJ and AC are more "instinctive" receivers. When I see a decent pass heading for Coop, the thought never crosses my mind that he might drop it. I can't really say that about JJ. In fact, JJ is more likely to drop an easy pass than a hard catch...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.