2011 NC Coke cans Warning

mark4tide

1st Team
Mar 7, 2005
Hoover, AL
I just wanted to give a heads up the my 2011 Coke cans blew up this weekend (2 of them). Be careful if you have them with other Bama stuff.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
They couldn't take the nonsense and just blew. I wonder if this happened to any Bama fans on Saturday watching the game on CBS.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Yep, in about 1995 I learned you can't just keep a Coke can the way you can a glass bottle. Now I keep them on a cleanable shelf.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I have a 5 pack of the 1992 coke cans, one had already leaked when I got it from a friend.

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
I have a 5 pack of the 1992 coke cans, one had already leaked when I got it from a friend.

How the heck did you get a 5 pack? We just moved and all my cans were fine...guess I better take precautions though, just in case.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
That's why I always take a fine-tipped punch and put a very small hole in the top and then bottom of the can(s) and drain them before putting them on display. You have to look for the holes to see them, otherwise they look like unopened, empty cans.

The combination of citric and carbonic acids will, eventually, eat through the can enough to make them burst.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
That's why I always take a fine-tipped punch and put a very small hole in the top and then bottom of the can(s) and drain them before putting them on display. You have to look for the holes to see them, otherwise they look like unopened, empty cans.

The combination of citric and carbonic acids will, eventually, eat through the can enough to make them burst.
Do you have to clean them out after you drain them?

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
Thank you for the heads up. I checked all my cans and one of them had leaked all over a bookshelf (ruining only one book, thank god... it could have been much, much worse.
I have now placed all my cans in a closet with plastic bags over them.

Guys and Gals - be sure if you have cans you actually pick them up and inspect --- at first glance, all appeared "normal", but when I looked closer - one of the cans had sprung a leak and a big mess.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Do you have to clean them out after you drain them?

Yeah, I run a little water through them to "rinse" them out.

It's a bit of a time consuming process, dealing with such small holes, but it's well worth it not having any of them burst and I much prefer that method of draining to popping the top.

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
I work for The Coca-Cola Company here in Atlanta so I can give a little advice. The acid will eventually eat away at the can so it's best to shake the cans around from time to time.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I work for The Coca-Cola Company here in Atlanta so I can give a little advice. The acid will eventually eat away at the can so it's best to shake the cans around from time to time.
Wouldn't shaking the can create more pressure, causing a weak can to blow?

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
Wouldn't shaking the can create more pressure, causing a weak can to blow?
Sorry, I meant to swish the can around from time to time to keep the acid from settling. Don't shake it with everything you have :) A lot of people here have collectible cans on their desks and they will punch a tiny hole in the bottom as one of the other posters mentioned.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.