Nico Johnson & CJ Mosley Relationship

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
When I watch any sport, I very rarely follow the ball. This can be a tough task when that's pretty much what the camera follows.

However, when you look away from the ball, you notice a lot of other things. For example, Fluker's burst of emotion toward his offensive teammates on Saturday was not his first this season. Multiple times this year when we've been up by at least 30, and sometimes even after we had just scored, Fluker could be seen encouraging his linemen to keep mashing and dominating our opponents.

One other such thing that I kept an eye on early on in the season was how Nico Johnson (a starter on two national championship teams and basically a starter since day one) and CJ Mosley (probably a better player in terms of tackling and covering) would co-exist. Both alpha males and leaders of the defense in their own respective rights. Very rarely were they on the field at the same time this year because of different packages. And one (well, I) wondered how they could co-exist without bumping heads. On one play early on in the season (maybe against Michigan) they were on the field together and we had a busted assignment. They could be seen after the play jawing back & forth at one another. They later shook hands. Still, I wondered if this town was big enough for the both of them.

But as the season progressed they could be seen on the sideline helping each other out, etc.

And on Saturday when CJ Mosley made the game saving tipped pass, almost before the ball even hit the receivers hands, the first person on the field to embrace Mosley and congratulate him was Nico Johnson.

It was pretty cool to see that relationship evolve over the season.

Last edited:

BamaGal99

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 1, 2011
They are both great kids and deserving of every accolade they have/will receive. (Of course, being from Andalusia, I have wanted Nico to develop into a passing threat as well as a running threat...but realize that CJ is more well-rounded.)
I must admit that I wondered the same about Mark and Trent, Trent and Eddie and Eddie and T.J. I think after awhile the egos go away and they realize that whatever is best for the team is what needs to be done. I love our team! ROLL TIDE!

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
When I watch any sport, I very rarely follow the ball. This can be a tough task when that's pretty much what the camera follows.

However, when you look away from the ball, you notice a lot of other things. For example, Fluker's burst of emotion toward his offensive teammates on Saturday was not his first this season. Multiple times this year when we've been up by at least 30, and sometimes even after we had just scored, Fluker could be seen encouraging his linemen to keep mashing and dominating our opponents.

One other such thing that I kept an eye on early on in the season was how Nico Johnson (a starter on two national championship teams and basically a starter since day one) and CJ Mosley (probably a better player in terms of tackling and covering) would co-exist. Both alpha males and leaders of the defense in their own respective rights. Very rarely were they on the field at the same time this year because of different packages. And one (well, I) wondered how they could co-exist without bumping heads. On one play early on in the season (maybe against Michigan) they were on the field together and we had a busted assignment. They could be seen after the play jawing back & forth at one another. They later shook hands. Still, I wondered if this town was big enough for the both of them.

But as the season progressed they could be seen on the sideline helping each other out, etc.

And on Saturday when CJ Mosley made the game saving tipped pass, almost before the ball even hit the receivers hands, the first person on the field to embrace Mosley and congratulate him was Nico Johnson.

It was pretty cool to see that relationship evolve over the season.
Fluker has seriously improved since day 1. The dude is a beast! I don't think Nico and CJ will ever get credit like McClain and Hightower got but they're doing a great job in my opinion. I think we get used to seeing guys like McClain, Hightower and Upshaw just take over games and when someone isn't dominating exactly like they were, we don't give them enough credit. Nico and CJ definitely deserve an appreciation thread. RTR!!!

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I do the same thing when I watch the game on replay. I love looking at the "background" stuff, whether it is the sideline reactions.etc.

One of the emotional bursts from Fluker on saturday resulted in the next HUGE run by Lacy. He was definitely helping pump up our oline.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Great thread / post, Mack -

You've provided insight into one of the undoubtedly many sub-plots which a less-football-savvy fan such as myself would never pick up on...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I wish Nico could play more. I think he's outstanding. Depriest has a ton of promise obviously but I honestly haven't heard his name called that much for making tackles this season. Seems when Nico's in the game he always seems to be right on top of the play.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Mack, you're not the only one not watching the ball. The refs missed Eddies first TD and called it a fumble.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Mack, you're not the only one not watching the ball. The refs missed Eddies first TD and called it a fumble.
I didn't think it was a TD, even with the photo posted in another thread here. It's not at an angle that the official is standing and unless my depth perception is off, it wasn't a score. But we still won the game. That's all that matters in the end

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Mosley has been injured several times in the last two years and when filling in full time Nico was outstanding in coverage as well. Mosley might be freakishly good at coverage, but I believe Nico will end up in the NFL. I think both guys are going to find a place in the league.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I didn't think it was a TD, even with the photo posted in another thread here. It's not at an angle that the official is standing and unless my depth perception is off, it wasn't a score. But we still won the game. That's all that matters in the end
I agree with you...but this thread isnt about that...it was about how two great players developed great relaitionship on the team..

a very positive thread...lets try and keep it positive...

BTW...the UGA game is over and we won.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.