This is the actual NCAA definition of a "defenseless player..."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I decided to make a new thread because it's becoming obvious that folks are posting in threads and not bothering to read any posts above where they're inserting a new post. Like it or not, here's what the NCAA says in its definition: "one who because his physical position and focus of concentration is especially vulnerable to injury." As you can see, it's ridiculous. It can cover any player who happens to be looking in the other direction. (IOW, no crackbacks.) In Shaw's statement, I can't tell if he's saying that Dial led with his helmet (I happen to think he didn't, no matter what Steve says) or if Murray were defenseless because he was off i La-La land...

Last edited:

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
My 7 year old playing baseball gets distracted by a bug.... Murray not so much. I agree..ridiculous they would word the rule that way.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
So, basically any sack on the QB in the pocket should be a flag...
exactly and any blind side hits to the ball carrier. See that's the problem. They keep adding rules that don't make since and are not called the same in every circumstance.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
So in addition to studying film on the other teams tendencies, the players are also required to interpret whether the opposing players are paying attention or not? Good Grief!! Let's just wrap them all in bubble wrap.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
You can't logically take football to this level and it still be called football. I'm all for player safety, especially doing what we can to protect the head. But at a certain point, risk must be taken. Otherwise, let's stop calling it football and starting calling it tag, you're it.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
So in addition to studying film on the other teams tendencies, the players are also required to interpret whether the opposing players are paying attention or not? Good Grief!! Let's just wrap them all in bubble wrap.
Hamster ball football - new game for the 21st century.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
AM forgot he was in the middle of a play and got popped. I bet he won't forgot anytime soon........
With all his interceptions he should be used to this drill by now.

I've never seen the rule interpreted as broadly as we are seeing here. The rule might be read to cover any blindside hit but it is pretty obvious from watching games that is not how it is actually interpreted. Now the SEC/NCAA aren't known for consistency but to punish in this situation would be changing the way that rule has been interpreted for as long as it has been around.

I don't see how he can get a suspension just because they missed the call in the game. If they had flagged it he wouldn't have been kicked out for it so why do a suspension in hindsight.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It cost Georgia the game, pure and simple!
LOL! Visit their pages and see how many single causes they've identified. Basically they just ran out of time. Every once in a while, someone will remember that they had 350 yds rushing put on them...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If he was a guard nobody would be talking about it.
That's what I've said numerous times in the other thread. If the cameras saw any other player on the ground, they wouldn't show the replay. The replay was shown because Gary and Verne thought he was hit late after the throw.

I never saw a replay of Stinson's injury. Wonder why...

centerstar

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2011
That's what I've said numerous times in the other thread. If the cameras saw any other player on the ground, they wouldn't show the replay. The replay was shown because Gary and Verne thought he was hit late after the throw.

I never saw a replay of Stinson's injury. Wonder why...
Plus it was about six yards from the ball carrier.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.