This is the actual NCAA definition of a "defenseless player..."

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
what about the eye gouge? Even though there was a 15 yd penalty the ncaa should be addressing that behaviour, but you don't hear that much, also you can't convince me that Murray wouldn't have tried to make the tackle if he was in the right position. The play was still live.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Totally agree. What looks to me to be really close is whether it was intentional helmet to helmet.
Hopefully they will decide soon. If they do see it as an illegal hit, I side with Alasippi who said they he believes it will have to usher in a new rule of "Any blindside block above the shoulders is a penalty". This block has opened up side issues they will probably close imo.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Tim Brando was on Finebaum dogging the non-call saying it should have been roughing the passer. smh.

I watched the replay on ESPNU, if you watch it and pause it Dial slammed him on the hash closest to the t.v. screen, and the play was around the numbers to the sideline. He was not as far as they are claiming on t.v. He COULD have made the play if he actually ran towards it, but still, he was trotting towards the play and deserved what he got.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Video shows that Murray had focus of concentration on the block though it was immediately before the block took place... :eek2: Can someone paste some antlers on his helmet?

I would have preferred for Dial to just get in front of Murray and stop his progress rather than busting him like he did but I don't see that a rule was violated.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
When I first saw the hit and the replays of it I thought it was a cheap shot. When it was explained that after an interception the QB is just another player, I felt more comfortable about it. It was a BIG hit but I don't believe it affected the result at the end.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
It was not a cheap shot what so ever. That would have come after the whistle had blown, or away from the play. Neither in this case applies.
Here is another good post from him
Originally Posted by tripler1 - if its close we loose to the Dawgs. Hopefully we will win big. Nobody will be able to block JJ
Very few refer to opposing players by their initials
I smell something :BigA:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Tim Brando was on Finebaum dogging the non-call saying it should have been roughing the passer. smh.

I watched the replay on ESPNU, if you watch it and pause it Dial slammed him on the hash closest to the t.v. screen, and the play was around the numbers to the sideline. He was not as far as they are claiming on t.v. He COULD have made the play if he actually ran towards it, but still, he was trotting towards the play and deserved what he got.
Once he was intercepted, he was no longer a passer, not that you'd expect Brando to know that...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Once he was intercepted, he was no longer a passer, not that you'd expect Brando to know that...
Aub co-worker kept hounding me yesterday about it being roughing the passer. Finally, he shut up long enough for me to tell him Murray was a defender after the INT. Unbelievable the ignorance people are spewing about this one play.

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
Just put a dress on the QB's and make it illegal to make any contact with them.

It's sad when players can't even hit in football without there being a huge deal made about it. Murray wasn't defenseless when he got hit. It was a live ball and he was moving.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.