ND Fans Seem to be Bi-Polar at This Point

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
But using the Michigan game as prima facie evidence that it will happen is insufficient.
I wasn't aware that I was guilty of that. I posted the links because I thought they might be of interest. I don't know much about Notre Dame's team, and I thought that the thoughts of an outside source that had played both teams was interesting. I'm aware that the results of those two games will have little to no impact on our upcoming game. We have at least four players that contributed against Michigan that you won't have to plan for. For example, our offensive gameplans have been affected by the loss of Fowler.

I will try to ensure that I don't offend your sensibilities in the future.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Won't ND be surprised when our fans show up wearing shoes... ;)

I've always liked the fact that ND has always been so full of themselves.
They and the nations sports writers are sure to prop them up big time...
(Gives them further to fall)

ND has 'Touch Down Jesus'... We have Coach Saban.
ND is counting on history... We are counting on Alabama Football.
# 15 is coming in January... :BigA:
Hey, there's another element you left out...

They may have Touchdown Jesus, but Walks-On-Water Bryant has taken a seat upstairs too. :cool2:

In my opinion, some of the criticism of dumb southerners is valid, but when it comes from northerners it doesn't sit well with us.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
i'm really impressed that our d was able to do that on the fly under extreme duress.
I liked Richt's reasoning he explained later. It takes time to spike the ball, you've wasted one play and let the defense get set. If our LB had just knocked the ball away, there still would have been time for at least one other play, maybe two. However, it's not good to be so predictable that we were certain he would go for the fade to the corner...

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
I always liked offenses to run the no huddle at that point, but the prediction is the fade, look to the flats to draw the linebacker outside the TE then hit the TE up the seam. Falcons do this alot.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I liked Richt's reasoning he explained later. It takes time to spike the ball, you've wasted one play and let the defense get set. If our LB had just knocked the ball away, there still would have been time for at least one other play, maybe two. However, it's not good to be so predictable that we were certain he would go for the fade to the corner...
Have to give UGA credit for it. That's a situation where most defenders, fans, and analysts predict a spike. Go with the unexpected play to catch them off guard. The fade really wasn't a poor call, either. Probably would have worked better if they weren't close to the endzone, meaning the pass wouldn't have been low enough for CJ to tip it and Dee would have played off of Mitchell more than he was.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Does anyone think that the fade would have worked? It looked like the defender was in great position. Of course, no one will ever know thank goodness.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
yeah, i understood his strategy, and think it was probably correct. they had gashed us for three straight plays. but, gashed or not, that is the saban coached #1 d in the country out there.

reminds me of a favorite definition of luck; luck is when preparation meets opportunity. so far we have seen it at least twice to ice tough games, once in lsu with the screen and against uga on that last play.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Does anyone think that the fade would have worked? It looked like the defender was in great position. Of course, no one will ever know thank goodness.
I mentioned in my post above that the chance of success would have been higher if UGA wasn't so close to the endzone. By being close, Murray didn't need to throw the ball as high, which mean the ball was lower at the LOS, helping CJ's chances to tip it. Additionally, Dee was playing close to the LOS, but I don't think he would have been if the LOS was further away.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
it would have been a jump ball situation in the back corner. dee had the guy blanketed and is pretty good at breaking up jump balls.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
It interested me that the last second deflection was a planned play, based on study of what UGA had done in the past - put in by Smart. Of course, the jumping the route part was planned. The deflection and catch by the wrong receiver was gravy...
I could be mistaken but I believe that I've seen Bama successfully defend that kind of play before a few times over the past couple of years although not as close to the goal line. I seem to remember a couple of plays where the LB rushes that play wide and gets a hand on the ball to knock it down.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Without the tip, it is likely an incomplete pass with time left on the clock for Georgia to run another play.

SoINIrishFan

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 2, 2012
Does anyone think Georgia was looking for a PI, more than a completion? Your DB has super tight coverage, but I can't remember if he was looking back.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Does anyone think Georgia was looking for a PI, more than a completion? Your DB has super tight coverage, but I can't remember if he was looking back.
I doubt it - both defenses were playing bump and run all night and the officials were letting the contact go. Hard to believe that a coach would bet the game on the idea that the officials might change the way that they call the game at that point.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
[QUOTEDoes anyone think Georgia was looking for a PI, more than a completion? Your DB has super tight coverage, but I can't remember if he was looking back. ][/QUOTE]

You're right, I don't think Dee was looking back when the ball was thrown. There's no faceguarding in college ball so if it was going to be PI, it would have to have been early contact which I think is unlikely on a play like that. I think it's designed to get the ball to the receiver before the DB even has time to react.

SoINIrishFan

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 2, 2012
Good point. I remember it being fairly chippy in the secondary all night. My thought was, final drive, end zone throw, refs under pressure too..... I'm not familiar with the consistency of SEC officiating at the end of games like that.

I doubt it - both defenses were playing bump and run all night and the officials were letting the contact go. Hard to believe that a coach would bet the game on the idea that the officials might change the way that they call the game at that point.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.