Link: Auburn hires Ark. St. HC Gus Malzahn

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Re: Apparently Auburn hires gus

Well, well....we don't have to guess "who" in their right mind, knowing NCAA investigations are underway and ongoing, would take a HC position a *U anymore. It's a death sentence as soon as the investigation/sanctions are completed, and I'm sure he's aware of that going in. Talk about stepping on a snake.....

OTOH, I can't believe any of you ever worried about Smart. His mentor cautioned him plenty about stepping on a snake.

Oh no. There are no sanctions coming because why would Gus come back to Auburn if there were?*

*From a poster on ITAT

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I know that Cam was purchased. So Keil caught the eye of Gus. Sounds like we're in good shape.

It seems like yesterday when Gus and Mustain were plucked as a package deal from the HS ranks, then the total debacle with the parents at Arkansas after the benching of Mustain, His leaving for Tulsa, Houston Nutt getting canned, Malzahn leaving Tulsa for Auburn, causing trouble behind the scenes there, his crazy wife going viral, bolting for less pay at Arkansas State, and now back to Auby. All in 6 years?

All in the name of Jesus......you watch. There will be some religious spin put on this some how some way by the fambly on the plains.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama

Malzahn's hire, perspective from ITAT...just perusing their site, it's a mixed bag, many voicing disappointment, although I expect most of the sunshine pumpers to eventually take over. I think most are not super enthusiastic over it, but are just in wait-and-see mode.

What a freaking choke job by the "search committee"

Gus was the worst wecould do and we did our worst.

The worst would have been Petrino, but thiswas down there. Again, I suspect "the search" was a sham. We broughtin a guy who will do as he's told.

How does no one else see this? If auburn ispaying people to be happy about this I want my share otherwise I don'tunderstand the excitement.....

Gus is a genius football coach. You guysare out standing in your field.

You couldn't be more wrong. Try again nexttime!

Not until TUF donations dry up and thestands are empty will there be real change. I for one have had my fill of 11 amkickoffs and getting our *** handed to us by everyone in the conference. Ouruniversity has major problems if any of the PTB think this was a good hire. Weneeded to clean house and start fresh and instead we get a retread. And nowthere are threads on this site excitedly anticipating which of the currentstaff Gus will retain. Seriously?!

Tell Bo to his face hechoked.

Bo, you choked.

I dont know why we waited a week and a half and pretended to do a search. Im ok with this hire butits not like it wasnt decided 2 months ago

What I'm saying is that Malzahn is probably the best hire AU could have made given the fact thatwe are a damaged program with impatient fans that is sitting in NCAAcrosshairs. Sure, I would love to have to decide between Bob Stoops, JimHarbaugh, and Bill Belichik, but don't hate on the Gus Bus for this programbeing at the bottom of the SECW today. He's the reason AU has a crystal trophyin the case.

We need to build a strong foundation. Andno one ever said offense wins championships......

Who will be thedisciplinarian? We need it in the worst way.

ARK just got Bilema from WIS,he has been tothe Rose Bowl 3 times including this year.But the AU job is so much better thanARK.Right.

All this fall in lineand support our coach is bs. It is the same thing as last time. And we'll willhave the same result as this year. We are the laughing stock of the sec. Here'sto an awful awful awful hire

guy was coaching hs 8 years ago. Are you kidding me? Tis guy lost to wku!!!!!Heck mtsu put up 35 against wku and Gus could only muster up 13.

Why do we have to hire someone with previous auburn ties every single time???!!

I'm not supporting this hire.

If Malzahn Keeps the Current Staff
in place then i am going to be very, very disappointed. if this is what happens then we all knowwhy gus was hired. hopefully he will announce that he is bringing lashlee, etc with him from a state, etc.

There will be plenty of familiar faces on his staff, so be prepared.

I'm assuming trooper will be involved inthe offense one way or another.

The reason they hired him is so they couldkeep their fingers in everything. This is why we FAIL.

Arkansas hires a coach
That is 30-8 In His last 3 seasons and has 2 bcs bowl games and we hire a guy who was coaching hsfootball back in 05 and had to cut a shady deal with nuttjob to get intocoaching start in college at that. We're stinking crazy....

RE: What the Gus hire tells me about NCAA issues
No way he comes hereif he thinks we're about to get hammered. He was on the fast track to a big jobsomewhere. He wouldn't have chosen Auburn if he didn't think he could A)win bighere B)thought we had NCAA issues. He's a smart guy. If he were one to justchase money he'd been gone from Auburn in 2010.

Tells me something as well. We are a university of small thinkers. We had a chance for a decade-longmonster hire and elected not to.

Last edited:

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Split reaction from ITAT. They either love it or hate it. And the hate is spun together in this absolute meltdown GOLD below:

Maybe we can pick up Ted Roof and get this ship righted!

I anxiously await the return of the 2 yard bubble screen, the split wide offensive tackle, the non-passing threat wildcat, and the deep heave on third and two.

Who cares what the defense does as long as that offense is "fun to watch."

A university of small thinkers. Why did this even take more than 24 hours? Very convenient, easy, and controllable. We may score 40 a game but will give up 38 or 42. Why would a solid defensive recruit get excited about this? I will get in line, but not today.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
So Arkansas State is a stepping stone to the SEC with Freeze and now Gus. Bobby Petrino needs to interview there. :tongue:

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama

Well, well....we don't have to guess "who" in their right mind, knowing NCAA investigations are underway and ongoing, would take a HC position a *U anymore. It's a death sentence as soon as the investigation/sanctions are completed, and I'm sure he's aware of that going in. Talk about stepping on a snake.....

OTOH, I can't believe any of you ever worried about Smart. His mentor cautioned him plenty about stepping on a snake.
Danny Sheridan was on Brando today and said that his sources are telling him AU will be hit with penalties and they could be pretty severe. I know you got to take Danny with a grain of salt but if true, that is probably the reason AU couldn't get no one else. Gus will be another Mike Shula.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Anyone think Houston Nutt would go for the Arkansas State job...if the USF job doesn't come through.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Split reaction from ITAT. They either love it or hate it. And the hate is spun together in this absolute meltdown GOLD below:
They got a guy that has a decent chance of keeping them middle of the pack in the West. The West really doesn't have a bottom end with Ole Miss, Miss State also making bowls.
Arkansas and Auburn have a real challenge ahead. They could start out below even the Mississippi schools who both made bowls and arguable have better coaches, before worrying about aTm, Bama and LSU.

45longcolt

All-SEC
Dec 30, 2007
Warrior 35180
Barner quotes about the hire

These are some of the individual quotes from AUFAMILY.COM

Welp this absolutely sucks......

To infinity and beyond

A search committee and two weeks to bring back the former OC? Auburn is run by a bunch of damned morons. Hello mediocrity!

This sums up my feelings.

Ye Ha! Get on board the Gus Bus!

If this is true, Bo and Pat have lost my respect forever

WOW!!! WHY WOULD WE EXPECT ANYTHING BUT SOMETHING LIKE THIS!!! JJ IS THE DUMBEST AD EVER.

Is there any way to get ahold of jj?

Is it too late to get john L Smith?

You are absolutely kidding me right???? This is the absolute worst possible situation

Look for a lot of defensive recruits to decommit!

PT Barnum has some serious competition from the clowns running the AUburn show. What a disasters joke!!!

You sound like a moron right now. You really don't know crap and it's really disgusting you're not supporting who our probable next HC is. He has won 7 straight games at ASU. A lot better than 5-19.

If we were turned down by big name coaches then I understand why we went this route. I am just not a fan of 8-5. That is what we will be spending our hard earned money on...

Well, I will be setting my TUF donation card alight.

Pumping up a coach that had 1 great OC for Auburn is like the people saying "You can't count Iowa St., no one wins there"

I'd take anybody on this board over Malzahn....he's gonna start Frazier next year.....dear god, this is bad. I feel more sick to my stomach now than I did when i first heard ab our trees getting updyked!
Does our admin not care ab our football program?

I'm thrilled. Gus Malzahn is one of the smartest offensive minds in the game, and a rising star in college football. I look forward to the hiring of a hardnosed defensive coordinator, a renewed commitment to an aggressive strength and conditioning program, and an opportunity to hold on to this recruiting class.

Seems to me like a great option.
Familiar with the players, they're built for his system, shouldn't be fighting bama for as many recruits, exciting and powerful offense, familiar with Auburn. I think if we hit a home run with the DC hire, this could be a perfect storm of "fear the thumb, the sequel".

rammerjammer69

Scout Team
Apr 28, 2009

Looks more and more like Gus was the best the barners could get and no one else would take the job. Surely they would have jumped at any serious candidate. Gus can wait out any NCAA problems and it gives him an excuse for going 6-6 or 7-5 for a couple years while he collects a fat paycheck. I would want to jump off a bridge right now if I were an *U fan - Gus brought in Dyer at Arky St. after all the dirt came out on him and of course Gus knew everything about him and everybody else as it went down at the barn. How can he possibly be expected to clean things up? If*U brought him in to assure there would be no housecleaning, how can they expect anything to change? Maybe all the thugs will decide to start trying for Gus now I guess.

Chizik may have been a fool but he was right about one thing - running Gus's offense there is no way to build a dominant defense to compete in the SEC. The barn's D is already depleted and it doesn't matter what DC they hire. Practicing against the spread every day with small OL running a bunch of trick plays will never result in a dominant defense in the long run. What you'll get is what you've seen the last 2 yrs. Best case for them if everything goes well (not a certainty) in a couple years *U can expect shootouts against Ole Miss, Arky, MSU and other middle tier teams and to get hammered by good SEC teams with solid defenses.

Last edited:

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
Re: Barner quotes about the hire

Ahhh...the perfect end to a very stressful day. Get in my car, turn on the radio, and BAM! Merry Christmas indeed. The world continues to laugh at the barn. This was one of the, if not THE most important hires in the barns' history, and this is what you come up with. That's a "white flag" if I ever saw one.

happytidefan

All-SEC
Jul 24, 2008
Columbus, Mississippi

Danny Sheridan was on Brando today and said that his sources are telling him AU will be hit with penalties and they could be pretty severe. I know you got to take Danny with a grain of salt but if true, that is probably the reason AU couldn't get no one else. Gus will be another Mike Shula.
I believe Selmaborntidefan posted the conversation/transcript in another thread (Brando/Sheridan). I'm skeptical about DS, but *U's sent out enough smoke signals there's a fire somewhere. My point exactly: Just like Shula. I personally wouldn't commit professional Hari-Kari but barring a miracle, that's what Malzahn's doing with this decision. Not that it bothers me in the least. :tongue:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.