Just to make this clear about Kirby Smart and the Auburn job...

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
There is no doubt that Smart was offered the job.............it all comes down to semantics about what constitutes an "offer".:cool2:

IBUY

1st Team
Jan 9, 2007
Full control of staff hires, full disclosure about the NCAA, allowed to finish the job he has right now= Not an Auburn man :)

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
There is no doubt that Smart was offered the job.............it all comes down to semantics about what constitutes an "offer".:cool2:
We did learn that nothing has changed on the Plains and it probably won't while Pat Dye is semi functioning or the NCAA has not forced a cleaning. The coach at Auburn is a system coach just like a system quarterback. Most top quarterbacks don't want to play in a system unless it's a proven success.

Malzahn was always the fall back guy, and the committee was a rouge. Bo Jackson probably wanted Charlie Strong, but not a chance with Dye is still there(fired 1st shot in the war), Petrino was vetoed from the top but was allowed an interview, and Coach Smart embarrassed them with his bluntness about change.

Side Note: Petrino he came out of the coaching hires with egg, he wanted the Auburn job yesterday although that may have not been his 1st choice.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Would you give up an NC Ring?
I believe the request to coach the Bama defense in the BCSNCG was likely a poison pill request designed to elicit a Barn refusal and thus give at least one reason for his own refusal. As I said previously, I'm not sure he genuinely wanted the job to begin with -- it makes zero sense for an in-state conference rival to agree to such a condition in my opinion.

Last edited:
Exactly..In other words you won't have control of the team..Just do what the "Good 'Ole Boys" tell ya to do..Business as usual in Lee County..
That's why in the long run (and short) they lose! I wouldn't walk blindly into something. He investigated the issue and it turned out that something was fishy. He didn't want to get dirty and I don't blame him.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I guess I can understand why the Barn would refuse to disclose details of the NCAA investigation. If they do so and Kirby decides not to accept the job, then Saban's staff would potentially have some powerful ammo to use in recruiting. While Saban doesn't need that type of info to dominate the Barn in recruiting, I'm pretty sure the paranoid Barners would imagine the situation as I described it.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
That's why in the long run (and short) they lose! I wouldn't walk blindly into something. He investigated the issue and it turned out that something was fishy. He didn't want to get dirty and I don't blame him.
You can't seriously tell a coach to sign the contract 1st & then we'll show you what we know about the looming NCAA mess,,And top that off by telling you we will have control of the hiring & firing of your coaching staff..Equals exactly what they got..A puppet HC that stands no chance of making this work at auburn..Only one problem Barners..They'll never keep Malzahn's wife quite..She will make "The Powers That Be" lives a living hell when the Malzahn Era takes a nose dive..

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I wonder if coaches in general are really as bought into rivalries as people think. I kinda think that they use rivalry as a tool to motivate fans and students. There have been lots fo coaches work both sides of rivalries even ou rown in state rivalry. I am just glad our staff remains in tact. Roll Tide!!

PS I really ejoy beating the barn when they stand a chance!!

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I don't believe that Coach Smart demanded for them to open up the books right then and there but at some point in the hiring process while he could still reject the offer if lied to. I bet he did want a summary of the severity, and I can envision them scoffing and thinking "How dare he".

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
Jess is absolutely right. Kirby was offered the job and the intent was to throw him a huge wad of cash, thinking that the money would satisfy any issues he had. Auburn took themselves a little too seriously and thought he'd want them more than they really needed him.

Kirby wasn't playing that game.

He already has a great job and he knows his future is bright. There was no way he was taking that job without having every one of his demands met to his complete satisfaction. Not only did he want full disclosure on the current NCAA investigation, he wanted complete protection from any fallout from it. He also wanted complete control of football operations. Not just on-field assistants, but total control, just like his current boss has in Tuscaloosa.

He was told that NCAA rules forbade them from disclosing the nature and extent of any investigations and that he would not be given that level of power due to the school's "institutional control" policy. That has Rich McGlynn written all over it.

Scarbinsky reported that he also wanted to coach the Tide defense in the BCSCG and was refused on that as well. I'm not sure about this--as Malzahn is reportedly being allowed to coach his team in the GoDaddy.com bowl just one night before the BCSCG.

At the end of the day, Kirby let them know that it was he who was negotiating from the position of strength and that either they give him what he wanted, or he wasn't taking the job he never truly coveted to begin with. They balked, he walked.

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
Jess is absolutely right. Kirby was offered the job and the intent was to throw him a huge wad of cash, thinking that the money would satisfy any issues he had. Auburn took themselves a little too seriously and thought he'd want them more than they really needed him.

Kirby wasn't playing that game.

He already has a great job and he knows his future is bright. There was no way he was taking that job without having every one of his demands met to his complete satisfaction. Not only did he want full disclosure on the current NCAA investigation, he wanted complete protection from any fallout from it. He also wanted complete control of football operations. Not just on-field assistants, but total control, just like his current boss has in Tuscaloosa.

He was told that NCAA rules forbade them from disclosing the nature and extent of any investigations and that he would not be given that level of power due to the school's "institutional control" policy. That has Rich McGlynn written all over it.

Scarbinsky reported that he also wanted to coach the Tide defense in the BCSCG and was refused on that as well. I'm not sure about this--as Malzahn is reportedly being allowed to coach his team in the GoDaddy.com bowl just one night before the BCSCG.

At the end of the day, Kirby let them know that it was he who was negotiating from the position of strength and that either they give him what he wanted, or he wasn't taking the job he never truly coveted to begin with. They balked, he walked.
Good analysis GCT but I would say there is a bit of difference between the Godaddy bowl and the BCSNC :) so I would be prone to believe it happened.

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
Interesting read on here:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/in...insky_is_gus_malzahn_stro.html#incart_m-rpt-2

"His (K Smart)demands included full disclosure of the state of the NCAA’s current look-see at the Auburn program, full control of hiring and firing staffers and the opportunity to coordinate the Alabama defense in the BCS Championship Game against Notre Dame."

"Smart’s demands are perfectly understandable. So is Auburn’s unwillingness to grant them, which is part of the reason Auburn didn’t offer Smart the job and turned toward Malzahn."

"That raises a question. Why would Auburn interview Smart in the first place? Did they not see that stalemate coming?"

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
Interesting read on here:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/in...insky_is_gus_malzahn_stro.html#incart_m-rpt-2

"His (K Smart)demands included full disclosure of the state of the NCAA’s current look-see at the Auburn program, full control of hiring and firing staffers and the opportunity to coordinate the Alabama defense in the BCS Championship Game against Notre Dame."

"Smart’s demands are perfectly understandable. So is Auburn’s unwillingness to grant them, which is part of the reason Auburn didn’t offer Smart the job and turned toward Malzahn."

"That raises a question. Why would Auburn interview Smart in the first place? Did they not see that stalemate coming?"

That's a big assumption thinking the barn sees things in the same perspective as others... :)

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Malzahn is the only person who could benefit by going to Auburn. It will be his first REAL coaching gig. Not much pressure due to upcoming NCAA investigations and potential sanctions. Anything he does will be better than Chiz did (without Cam). Malzahn says he will create a fast-moving, dynamic team that will be exciting to watch (run with play-action according to him -- which really means spread --and-- an attack defense - 3-4 <-- he'll try to attract play-maker wannabe's). I honestly look forward to seeing what he can do on the plains.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
I wrote this yesterday on my blog and feel free to disagree with me on this point: But the fact that Gus took the Auburn job means that they probably skate on the NCAA investigation, or at least receive relatively light penalties.

Gus knows where all the bodies are buried and I think he's too smart to walk into what might become a smoldering crater and risk his future marketability as a coach. There's no amount of short term cash that can mitigate the risk of becoming the next Jim Tressel--a radioactive coach that no one will likely ever touch again.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I wrote this yesterday on my blog and feel free to disagree with me on this point: But the fact that Gus took the Auburn job means that they probably skate on the NCAA investigation, or at least receive relatively light penalties.

Gus knows where all the bodies are buried and I think he's too smart to walk into what might become a smoldering crater and risk his future marketability as a coach. There's no amount of short term cash that can mitigate the risk of becoming the next Jim Tressel--a radioactive coach that no one will likely ever touch again.
I'll make note of that. This would really surprise me and my main counter would be that maybe Gus is not as confident in himself as he appears, his wife kind of demonstrates that to some degree. Gus took a pay cut to take the ASU job and I bet he's guaranteed at least $10 million.

But you have a strong case imo.

rhm54

1st Team
Nov 30, 2006
Dye admitted Tuesday what insiders have told us all along, that Smart was his first choice for the job. No surprise there. Like Smart, Dye grew up playing for Georgia and coaching at Alabama on the defensive side of the ball. Like Dye, Smart is hard-nosed and strong-willed.

Those characteristics may have helped Smart with Dye, but they hurt him with the Auburn search committee. Smart asked for things during his interview that Auburn wasn’t willing to give him, according to people close to the process.

His demands included full disclosure of the state of the NCAA’s current look-see at the Auburn program, full control of hiring and firing staffers and the opportunity to coordinate the Alabama defense in the BCS Championship Game against Notre Dame.

Smart’s demands are perfectly understandable. So is Auburn’s unwillingness to grant them, which is part of the reason Auburn didn’t offer Smart the job and turned toward Malzahn.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2012/12/scarbinsky_is_gus_malzahn_stro.html

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I doubt the Aubs mind him coaching Arky State. I do think they would have a problem with their new head coach coaching their arch rival to another National Championship, though.

That's possible, but would he know who's been interviewed, etc?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.