Link: Aaron Rodgers is putting on the hate!

CaptainTide

Scout Team
Apr 16, 2011
Mobile, AL
What's so wrong with what he's saying? A 16-team playoff would be way better than what we have now. We'd have a clear winner at the end of the season. Currently it's just who has the best record, arguably, at that.

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
I don't think the formula is is jacked up as it's painted to be. The jacked up part is the conference restrictions and automatic bowl tie ins. That being said I am okay with a playoff system as long as it doesn't take away from the regular season. The more teams that get slots the less the regular season means. 16 is the absolute MOST I would ever want to see.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
What's so wrong with what he's saying? A 16-team playoff would be way better than what we have now. We'd have a clear winner at the end of the season. Currently it's just who has the best record, arguably, at that.
My problem with a playoff is that it devalues the regular season. What if we clinched a playoff spot and won the SEC West; would our coach rest our best players against Auburn at the end of the season? He's right that people love March madness, but it's more for making brackets and seeing who's "right" amongst friends rather than a playoff deciding the best team. A playoff just devalues the regular season and rewards a team that gets hot late. Nobody really pays attention to college bball or pro baseball until the postseason. Each and every regular season game means something in college football, which makes it the best regular season in the sport. There haven't really been many instances when there's a valid argument about who the top 2 teams have been. Unfortunately going to a 4 team playoff means eventually we'll go to 8 and then 16. It honestly would benefit the SEC because we'd be getting the most teams into the bracket.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
16 team playoff? Seriously? When has there ever been a team ranked 16th that had a legitimate claim to being the best in the country?

Top4 is plenty, if they want to push it to 6 I can possibly see it, but there's never been a 7th ranked team (rarely even a fourth ranked team) that can legitimately lay claim to being the best.

Top8+ just cheapens the regular season.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
We would not rest our players anymore than we did this year against auburn or any other team. Fans won't stand for tanking a game just because you clinched a spot in the playoffs.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I don't think the formula is is jacked up as it's painted to be. The jacked up part is the conference restrictions and automatic bowl tie ins. That being said I am okay with a playoff system as long as it doesn't take away from the regular season. The more teams that get slots the less the regular season means. 16 is the absolute MOST I would ever want to see.
The most I'd go is 4 (8 is compelling). I don't think there's ever been a season when the #15 ranked team has a valid claim at all to being a champ. Throw in automatic playoff spots or restrictions to # of teams from a conference (this'll happen if our conference continues to dominate) and you may have a team like Louisville (from 2012) or UConn (from a year or two ago) in the playoff system. I'd really hate to see an 8-4 or 7-5 team win a playoff because of some dumb luck of the draw or one off night from a better team. I'm with you in thinking the more teams in, the less the regular season means. Every Saturday is compelling because something happens almost every week that affects the national title game or conference championships.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
We would not rest our players anymore than we did this year against auburn or any other team. Fans won't stand for tanking a game just because you clinched a spot in the playoffs.
We still had to beat the barn to go to Atlanta. If a player at a position of little depth (this year DB, RB, and WR) was slightly injured, why would a coach risk playing them in the regular season finale when the team has clinched the division and a likely bid to a national title playoff? It happens in the NFL (remember the undefeated Colts resting everyone and then losing in the playoffs); it happens in pro baseball (Yankees rested a ton of players this year); it happens in the NBA (the Spurs rested their best players early this year because of the grind of a season). College football wouldn't be any different. The risk of injury to a star player in a meaningless game outweighs beating a rival when the "bigger" prize is a conference or national title. Even assuming we beat A&M and clinched the West, we would've needed to keep winning to guarantee our spot in the national title game. Losing one may not have given us the opportunity to play for the national title; so we would've play our starters against the barn anyway under the current system (loss at end of regular season is essentially title dream killer)

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I hit control+F

When the search box opened, I typed in Bama.

I didn't see it anywhere in his comments.

I closed the article.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
I hit control+F

When the search box opened, I typed in Bama.

I didn't see it anywhere in his comments.

I closed the article.
You probably wasted more time searching for the term "Bama" than if you just read it (6 relatively short paragraphs).

Luckily you didn't search for the word "Uh" or "Duh" because it would have taken a couple of minutes to load the search results page. :biggrin:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Not so. If there is any type of playoff system whereby Bama is already in the playoff and knows who their opponent will be, they will not only rest the starters, they will not even prepare for Auburn. They would be stupid to do otherwise. Which is why I am SO opposed to a playoff.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
16 team playoff? Seriously? When has there ever been a team ranked 16th that had a legitimate claim to being the best in the country?

Top4 is plenty, if they want to push it to 6 I can possibly see it, but there's never been a 7th ranked team (rarely even a fourth ranked team) that can legitimately lay claim to being the best.

NIU sits at #15 now. NIU? GIVE ME A BREAK!

Krazy has already proved there is rarely more than 3.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I would hate to see FBS college football become more like FCS college football. But if it does, I will still watch. Like the NFL owners, college football's conference commissioners know that we (the fans) are going to watch, period. They will put the product on the field that makes them the most money. It hasn't been about crowning the best team or "student" athletes in a very long time.

rhm54

1st Team
Nov 30, 2006

15th ranked Texas A&M beat us....

A playoff does not cheapen the regular season, in a playoff system the regular season earns you a spot in the playoff and doing well gives you the best shot of winning it all by giving you a higher ranking and allowing you to play easier games.

In football, anyone can get beat on any given Saturday. With a large playoff system Bama could possibly lose 3 games in the regular season and still be in the playoffs. I find that much more to playing in the meaningless music city bowl any day.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.