Link: Aaron Rodgers is putting on the hate!

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Oh well, we're moving from crowning a national champion to crowning a tournament champion. Maybe the AP can regain relevance by crowning a regular season champion.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
15th ranked Texas A&M beat us....
So? They lost two games, they lost the right to claim to be the best.

Besides, what do you honestly think happens if that game is played 10 times?

A playoff does not cheapen the regular season, in a playoff system the regular season earns you a spot in the playoff and doing well gives you the best shot of winning it all by giving you a higher ranking and allowing you to play easier games.
Of course it does, you're talking about allowing 2-loss teams compete against teams that won them all in order to claim they're better. Playoffs yield games where starters sit entire games (or most of them) because the team can 'afford a loss'. Playoffs yield less need to be at the top of your game every week as you only have to 'make the cut'.

Heck, if we went 'top 16' you'd have 10 teams that lost at least two games, including two teams that lost three games.

Does anyone really believe the 2007 Giants were the better team than the Patriots? The regular season was essentially meaningless as 'any given Sunday' happened on Super Bowl Sunday. The Giants never deserved the shot, got hot, and won it all.

That's not what's good for CFB.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I think this is optimal:

Champs of the SEC, Pac12, Big12, Big10, ACC
and
3 highest ranked other teams.

Then, all conference championship games are important and worth watching.

Considering this, here is what we'd have:

1. Alabama
2. Kansas St
3. Stanford
4. Florida St
5. Wisconsin
6. Notre Dame
7. Florida
8. Oregon

Sounds like a great playoff to me.

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
Putting any restrictions on a playoff or BCS for participation is the only problem we have right now and may have in the future. Fix that, and any system can work, as long as we don't get ridiculous with lengthy playoffs that favor teams from lesser conferences that don't have to endure the wear and tear that the teams in the SEC have to endure. The TOP TEAMS should be seeded in ranked order, no matter the system, WITHOUT ANY RESTRICTIONS (e.g., no conference limits, no regard to "conference championship", etc.).

luvthat_TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2004
Why stop at 16 teams? Heck let's use all teams bowl eligible. You say not everyone deserves to be in and I agree. With my standards the NY Giants would not have gotten into the play-offs last year. It is a farce that a 9 - 7 team became superbowl champs. That outcome is NOT saying the best team in the league won the championship. Teams with up to 5 losses get in (7 losses). Every game counts in the NCAA as of now. Bowl games are far from perfect, many of these bowl game match-ups are a "sham". I'm clueless for the best fix, all have drawbacks IMO.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
I don't believe there is a "fix". People just want to criticize something different, and get tired of arguing about the same thing.... which is why the system keeps changing.

A playoff doesn't eliminate any of this. The argument just moves to who was left out. No system is going to please everyone.

If a system designed to get the two best teams playing each other for the national championship didn't work, I don't know what will.

That said, I'm not against a playoff. Heck, I haven't been "against" any system we've had. I just know that no matter what, the argument just moves to something else.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

*A playoff does not cheapen the regular season, in a playoff system the regular season earns you a spot in the playoff and doing well gives you the best shot of winning it all by giving you a higher ranking and allowing you to play easier games.

In football, anyone can get beat on any given Saturday. *With a large playoff system Bama could possibly lose 3 games in the regular season and still be in the playoffs. I find that much more to playing in the meaningless music city bowl any day.
You don't see the contradiction in this? Think about it for a minute and I'll give you a hint of where I'm going with it. San Antonio Spurs and David Stern getting mad.

Current BCS Rankings:

1 Notre Dame 12-0
2 Alabama 12-1
3 Florida 11-1
4 Oregon 11-1
5 Kansas State 11-1
6 Stanford 11-2
7 Georgia 11-2
8 LSU 10-2
9 Texas A&M 10-2
10 South Carolina 10-2
11 Oklahoma 10-2
12 Florida State 11-2
13 Oregon State 9-3
14 Clemson 10-2
15 Northern Illinois 12-1
16 Nebraska 10-3

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
16 team playoff? Seriously? When has there ever been a team ranked 16th that had a legitimate claim to being the best in the country?

Top4 is plenty, if they want to push it to 6 I can possibly see it, but there's never been a 7th ranked team (rarely even a fourth ranked team) that can legitimately lay claim to being the best.

Top8+ just cheapens the regular season.
I NEVER want to see a playoff where a 7-5 Wisconsin team can get hot at the right moment, and win a BCSNC...
what would that do for the college game?

This isnt pro football, every game counts, and I want to keep it that way...imperfect or not!

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

A playoff does not cheapen the regular season, in a playoff system the regular season earns you a spot in the playoff and doing well gives you the best shot of winning it all by giving you a higher ranking and allowing you to play easier games.

In football, anyone can get beat on any given Saturday. With a large playoff system Bama could possibly lose 3 games in the regular season and still be in the playoffs. I find that much more to playing in the meaningless music city bowl any day.
Your comment contradicts itself...
15th ranked Texas A&M beat us...yet you say being ranked highly lets you play easier games...

bottom line; there are really no easy games...

what a large 'playoff' does is allow a team to get 'hot' at the right moment and win a couple games...
not reward a team for a full season of excellence...

current system is flawed, but to me, that system would be more than flawed...it would completely change the sport from what we currently know...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I NEVER want to see a playoff where a 7-5 Wisconsin team can get hot at the right moment, and win a BCSNC...
what would that do for the college game?

This isnt pro football, every game counts, and I want to keep it that way...imperfect or not!
I agree. If we took a sixteen team playoff it would guarantee a two-three game cushion teams would have to manipulate. In other words you'd have teams use the line of thinking that they are not going to make it to their conference championship but we have enough wins to make into the playoff. So to prepare for the playoffs we can start resting players, maybe not put as much emphasis on winning the last one to two games because we already know we're in.

P.S. Aaron Rodgers is a punk. I don't care how those "discount double check" commercials portray him. I'm shocked him and Favre survived that long together with the egos and attitudes those two tote around.

Last edited:

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
A playoff would also allow room for a team to improve over a season's time. Some may call this "getting hot", but it can also be due to young players maturing.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
A playoff would also allow room for a team to improve over a season's time. Some may call this "getting hot", but it can also be due to young players maturing.
just depends on what you think the game should be about...
rewarding a team for navigating a schedule for the entirety of a season
.. or for players developing and getting 'hot' at the end of a season...

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
What's so wrong with what he's saying? A 16-team playoff would be way better than what we have now. We'd have a clear winner at the end of the season. Currently it's just who has the best record, arguably, at that.
I agree. As it sits right now, the most important game in my eyes, we just played and won. The SEC Championship. To me, the Notre Dame game is just another game that i want us to win. The National Championship as it is now is so subjective it's not even worth arguing about. I mean, who's to say that any combination of Notre Dame, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Oregon, Texas A & M, Kansas State, LSU, or Stanford would hold any more or less value as a measure of a true National Championship game as the ND/Bama game will provide?

Don't get me wrong. I love Alabama and want us to crush ND. I'm just not one of those who beats his chest saying we're the best team in the country when we all know that we have a current system that doesn't ever give anyone the chance to really prove it. We just play the hand we're dealt. 14-0 is my goal for Bama every year. If we went undefeated and they voted us #6, who cares. All we did was win our games, the only thing we could control.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I agree. As it sits right now, the most important game in my eyes, we just played and won. The SEC Championship. To me, the Notre Dame game is just another game that i want us to win. The National Championship as it is now is so subjective it's not even worth arguing about. I mean, who's to say that any combination of Notre Dame, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Oregon, Texas A & M, Kansas State, LSU, or Stanford would hold any more or less value as a measure of a true National Championship game as the ND/Bama game will provide?

Don't get me wrong. I love Alabama and want us to crush ND. I'm just not one of those who beats his chest saying we're the best team in the country when we all know that we have a current system that doesn't ever give anyone the chance to really prove it. We just play the hand we're dealt. 14-0 is my goal for Bama every year. If we went undefeated and they voted us #6, who cares. All we did was win our games, the only thing we could control.
woudl it sit better with you if in a 16 team playoff if a 5 loss team beat us to win it all, just because they got hot on a saturday...even after we had went 13-0 during the season?
maybe because they rested their players an extra couple weeks because they didnt have a shot at a conference crown?

No system is perfect....im just not convinced that a large playoff is any better. Im not against the 4 teams, because that might provide clarity in some years, but to include teams with 2-3 (or more) losses because they make the top 16 just destroys the regular season to me...

Bama By Birth

3rd Team
Dec 3, 2010
Ellaville, Ga
16 team playoff? Seriously? When has there ever been a team ranked 16th that had a legitimate claim to being the best in the country?

Top4 is plenty, if they want to push it to 6 I can possibly see it, but there's never been a 7th ranked team (rarely even a fourth ranked team) that can legitimately lay claim to being the best.

Top8+ just cheapens the regular season.
Agree. An SEC team would play 12 regular season games, one (13) SEC Championship game and 4 (17) playoff games if they won out. 17 games? Welcome the 2,000 yard running back and 5,000 yard quarterback. That is a lot of pounding on a kids body also.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.