JUCO QB Jake Waters commits to Kansas St

Bamalawdawg

3rd Team
Dec 28, 2011
Re: Jake Waters Juco QB gets Alabama visit

AJ is probably a 2nd or 3rd round pick and QBs leaving with remaining eligibility have a spotty NFL history. Not sure how the #s look this year, but for fun tell us how many of the top 15 rated NFL passers left early. Miight be 0 as it has been in other years.

But, if he has expressed an interest in having the NFL grade him it would be stupid for Saban to not look at options for 2013.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS

If Ely was good do you believe that Blake Sims a former running back would be getting all the back up reps? Just think about it.
Seems like you're getting close to player bashing. If he's not any good, I wonder why CNS offered & gave him a scholarship? I'll give you a hint - it damn sure wasn't just to do him a favor.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012

Saw where he would be an EE. Couldn't find anything about redshirting. In the scenario above with no transfers or guys going pro, that would be 7 scholarship QBs on campus. Seems like a lot. Don't know what AJ's thinking is either way, but overall this year is supposed to be a weak draft. That could play into his decision. I haven't really looked at next years draft.
It's a weak draft in that there are no early first round locks, but there are a decent # of QBs coming out from what I remember. Plus, it seems like there aren't as many teams that need a QB early in the draft as there usually are.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012

AJ is probably a 2nd or 3rd round pick and QBs leaving with remaining eligibility have a spotty NFL history. Not sure how the #s look this year, but for fun tell us how many of the top 15 rated NFL passers left early. Miight be 0 as it has been in other years.

But, if he has expressed an interest in having the NFL grade him it would be stupid for Saban to not look at options for 2013.
I think that, barring some amazing national title game, there is no way AJ will sniff the 2nd round. He hasn't looked good in any of the big games this year. I think he'd be lucky to go in the third round, honestly.

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008

It's a weak draft in that there are no early first round locks, but there are a decent # of QBs coming out from what I remember. Plus, it seems like there aren't as many teams that need a QB early in the draft as there usually are.
^This. The first QB likely to be taken is Matt Barkley, but that will be way down the 1st round if not the 2nd. If AJ comes out, he might very well be one of the first 5 or 6 QBs taken, but that still puts him somewhere in the 3rd to 5th round most likely. I just don't see any real logic in leaving early to be drafted that late.

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007

Going into the LSU game. AJ had a chance to be favored for Heisman and capable of getting drafted in the 1st round. He salvaged that game at the end, but the following week he killed his shot vs A&M. The staff put the ball in his hands and gave him every opportunity to accomplish his goals (probably not wise the way we were able to run on both A&M and LSU) and while I will say AJ played well he didn't help his draft stock. Honestly, I wouldn't want another QB in the country for our team, but he isn't ready for the NFL right now. I went into the SECCG saying he's got 2 more huge opportunities to shine and in the SECCG he still didn't help his early round draft stock.

Again, I'm not taking anything away from AJ. I want him to be a huge star in the NFL, and I know he has the talent/temperament/and skills to do so. He made noise early in the season by how much control he had over the offense, in the big games he made some HUGE PLAYS IN ALL OF THEM but he didn't full control of the offense for most of any of the games. My point is, he should return to prove that he can lead and control an offense in huge games to go along with those big plays. That's where he'd get first or even 2nd round draft consideration.

And I know some people say just go and see how things turn out in the draft...if you go early great if you go late....work your way into the league. But the difference in going in the first round and 3rd or later rounds is a HUGE difference, moreso for a QB than any other position. Tim Tebow is still relevant, and received the playing time that he did in Denver because he was mis judged and drafted in the first round. He never would've gotten that opportunity had he been drafted any later. While a guy like Greg McElroy has little chance to really assert himself into the league. It's all about the investment they put into that player, that's how you can receive playing time and they'll be "patient" enough to allow you to develop.

AJ could come back next year, IMPROVE his game and his draft stock, and his perception enough to become a 1st round pick possibly in the NFL.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--c...or-2013-crop-of-rookie-passers-163239849.html

While the stock of onetime presumptive No. 1 overall pick Matt Barkley (USC) may be falling in NFL circles and former scouts' darlings like Oklahoma's Landry Jones and West Virginia's Geno Smith are no longer viewed as likely first-round selections, expect several quarterbacks to emerge as desirable prospects over the next few months, and to shoot to the top of their new teams' depth charts.
According to numerous NFL talent evaluators to whom I've spoken recently, the group of potential 2013 rookie starters also includes Arkansas' Tyler Wilson, Syracuse's Ryan Nassib, North Carolina State's Mike Glennon and Florida State's E.J. Manuel. Additionally, early-entry candidates Aaron Murray of Georgia, Tyler Bray of Tennessee and Tajh Boyd of Clemson could be in the mix if they declare for next spring's draft.
No mention of AJ among next year's qbs

Braveheart

All-SEC
Feb 12, 2006

Going into the LSU game. AJ had a chance to be favored for Heisman and capable of getting drafted in the 1st round. He salvaged that game at the end, but the following week he killed his shot vs A&M. The staff put the ball in his hands and gave him every opportunity to accomplish his goals (probably not wise the way we were able to run on both A&M and LSU) and while I will say AJ played well he didn't help his draft stock. Honestly, I wouldn't want another QB in the country for our team, but he isn't ready for the NFL right now. I went into the SECCG saying he's got 2 more huge opportunities to shine and in the SECCG he still didn't help his early round draft stock.

Again, I'm not taking anything away from AJ. I want him to be a huge star in the NFL, and I know he has the talent/temperament/and skills to do so. He made noise early in the season by how much control he had over the offense, in the big games he made some HUGE PLAYS IN ALL OF THEM but he didn't full control of the offense for most of any of the games. My point is, he should return to prove that he can lead and control an offense in huge games to go along with those big plays. That's where he'd get first or even 2nd round draft consideration.

And I know some people say just go and see how things turn out in the draft...if you go early great if you go late....work your way into the league. But the difference in going in the first round and 3rd or later rounds is a HUGE difference, moreso for a QB than any other position. Tim Tebow is still relevant, and received the playing time that he did in Denver because he was mis judged and drafted in the first round. He never would've gotten that opportunity had he been drafted any later. While a guy like Greg McElroy has little chance to really assert himself into the league. It's all about the investment they put into that player, that's how you can receive playing time and they'll be "patient" enough to allow you to develop.

AJ could come back next year, IMPROVE his game and his draft stock, and his perception enough to become a 1st round pick possibly in the NFL.
Playing Devil's advocate here, would your opinion of him change if you learned he was injured and had been playing with a lot of pain?

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

This does not mean that Aj is going pro. Has anyone seem our backup Qb's? They are terrible. If Aj were to go down we need a guy that could step in and handle the offense and make throws. Blake Sims can run but he can't consistently throw, Ely is terrible. All this means is we need a viable qb to back up and then possibly take over for Aj
If what you say is true, then maybe your problem should be with the Bama coaching. They recruited and signed them.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

99% of the teams in college football would have problems if their #1 QB went down. if you have the chance to get a guy with experience and an arm, you go for it.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

^This. The first QB likely to be taken is Matt Barkley, but that will be way down the 1st round if not the 2nd. If AJ comes out, he might very well be one of the first 5 or 6 QBs taken, but that still puts him somewhere in the 3rd to 5th round most likely. I just don't see any real logic in leaving early to be drafted that late.
he may be the 8th or so QB taken. too many solid QBs coming out this year.
Smith
Barkley
Klein
Bray
Wilson
Murray if he goes
Jones
Boyd

Manuel and Logan Thomas also possibly would go ahead of him. i'd be shocked if he left early to be drafted in the 4-6th round

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007

If what you say is true, then maybe your problem should be with the Bama coaching. They recruited and signed them.

I know about all of that. I do. The guy had a great game vs LSU in the BCSNCG. In fact, I don't think he's played an actual bad game. I'm just saying he's not going to get a 1st round draft grade based off of his play on the field in teh LSU/A&M/and UGA games. It just is what it is. Where as some of the experts were already saying that he could get a 1st round grade in 2014 NFL Draft, even prior to that tough series of games.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

I wondered if this meant AJ may be looking to leave early, but I just can't see how he'd think that was a good idea, He'd have a much better shot at going in the first round by hanging around one more year.

Could mean anything but we NEED qb's so I wouldnt put it past them making the offer.
If we win another National Championship this year I do not see how AJ could really help his cause by staying another year. Sure, we will probably be good next year but with two NCs in your back pocket it might be good to bolt for the cash and not risking an injury.

megalurch69

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Im saying that Blake Sims was not recruited to Bama as a QB. If anyone disagree's then you dont follow recruiting. The only reason he got moved back to QB was because Phil Sims left. For Blake Sims to come in in the summer and fall camp and take over the back up job from Ely says a lot. Ely must not be getting the job done. He is not the future. Why would the staff try and recruit a JUCO kid if they had full confidence in Sims and Ely? Put the pieces together

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Im saying that Blake Sims was not recruited to Bama as a QB. If anyone disagree's then you dont follow recruiting. The only reason he got moved back to QB was because Phil Sims left. For Blake Sims to come in in the summer and fall camp and take over the back up job from Ely says a lot. Ely must not be getting the job done. He is not the future. Why would the staff try and recruit a JUCO kid if they had full confidence in Sims and Ely? Put the pieces together
At the risk of sounding preachy on a rival board, even if this is all true, why go down that road? You can bet that Ely is giving everything that he has to the Alabama program. Isn't that enough? You can talk up other players without talking down guys like Ely.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC

Actually Blake was told he would get a shot at QB. If you remember he decommitted right after we won the NC and recommitted later that year on a visit when Saban told him he would play offense and get a chance at QB. He was seriously lookng at other programs that were recruiting him solely as a QB.

But in regards to Ely I agree. Most programs have QBs on the roster for the backup role. Ely I believe was that QB coming into the spring but he did not win it in the fall. And if I can find it the article one of the sites said if AJ ever did go down the staff would burn freshman QB Morris's redshirt. Sims got mop up duty but Morris would have replaced AJ for long term, atleast according to reports.

I can only assume like everyone else on here and maybe Waters is just getting a look, but right now the future battle for QB on this team will be between Morris and Bateman. Even Parker will be in the same place as Ely once he arrives.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

We're definitely not recruiting a JUCO QB to come in and call the signals for McCarron next season.

I'll leave it at that...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.