How elite would our WR corps be...If Keenan Allen had come to UA (watch teaser)

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
too bad Dykes didn't go there a year ago or Allen would have had a ton of fun and possibly 2000 yards receiving.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm sure there is a player that will prove me wrong at some point, but I don't think there is a player in America worth 2+ scholarships to Alabama. Every elite talent who has tried to play that game with us has ended up signing elsewhere.

A lot of people thought Lester was a signing in that vein but he ended up being a 3-year starter for us out of Julio's Foley team.
Saban saw something in Lester he could develop. After all, he rarely misses on a DB...

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
there are a few Cal fans, including one who claims to be a parent of a current player on the team, that are claiming that it was Allen that caused Jeff Tedford to be fired. Players parent claims Allen refused to work out, made it known in no uncertain terms that he wouldn't play with any QB other than Maynard and generally just did whatever he wanted. Saban would have run him off in less than a year, talented or not. Tedford caved and brought in Maynard too. Perhaps he thought he could make Maynard into a decent QB, he couldn't and he's now gone.
This is interesting that a tenured coach like Tedford at Cal would allow a single player to cost him his job if all this is indeed fact.

I suppose Cal is better off without Tedford if that's the case.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Outside of that, though? My post was based on his athletic ability. Obviously, his recruitment changed thoughts on how he would affect the team.
Just was saying as talented as he might be, I'm fairly certain he'd have hurt our team. Can't just look at it from a talent level on Saban's team... because every kid he brings in has talent.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
no disrespect to the OP, but I have never seen a player that didn't wear Crimson brought up time and time again in the Saban era as Keenan Allen and not just on this board either.

both parties are happy with the end results. I rather here his name on Sundays from now on. :cool2:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Outside of that, though? My post was based on his athletic ability. Obviously, his recruitment changed thoughts on how he would affect the team.
He also had a handler Saban refused to deal with. In fact, Saban has turned down every player with a handler or one who demanded a "twofer."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The older Nkemdiche (SP?) looks like he may have been worth it. Kid is good
Unfortunately, he's one of those late bloomers. He wasn't as highly regarded, coming out of HS. However, at the end, we weren't really even in younger brother's top five, probably because of what he'd been fed about the 3-4...

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
Allen was recruited here to be safety, but it's difficult to assess exactly where he would end up. The SEC tends to take their best athletes and put them on defense, as opposed to a conference like the Pac-12 who does just the opposite.

Prime example is the Anthony Barr kid for UCLA. They've had this kid stuck at RB his first 2 years there and it was like forcing a square peg in a round hole. He just wasn't supposed to be there.

They finally decided to move him to the defensive side of the ball this year and play some stand-up linebacker just out of desperation.... all he's done is rack up 20 TFL's and 13 sacks, and according to the draft experts, would be a potential top 15 pick if he declares early.

This is a 6'4", 235 pound kid who most coaches in the SEC would've had this kid playing linebacker from the moment he stepped on campus.

I'm not positive, but wasn't Keiwone Malone going to be a CB here? He's playing WR at Memphis.

Keenan may very well have ended up at WR for Bama, but I believe it would've been after a long look on the defensive side first.
So Derrick Henry is going to play linebacker?

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
So Derrick Henry is going to play linebacker?

That's not what I'm saying. I don't know what position he's going to play. I don't imagine the coaches do either. They may have an idea, but nothing is ever written in stone.

The key words you're overlooking here is "tends to". In other words, it's a tendency for coaches in the SEC (especially if they're a defensive coach by trade) to prefer their best athletes on defense if it's a fit. It doesn't apply to every player in every case on every team in every circumstance.

Anthony Barr wasn't setting high school rushing records as a tailback like Henry. It didn't take Jim Mora (defensive coach by trade) long to figure out the Barr kid needed a shot on defense after Neuheisel (offensive guy) inexplicably kept him toiling away for 2 years down the depth chart at RB.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
This is interesting that a tenured coach like Tedford at Cal would allow a single player to cost him his job if all this is indeed fact.

I suppose Cal is better off without Tedford if that's the case.
yeah, it's odd I normally wouldn't believe stuff like this but how else do you explain Tedford's last few years? Guy developed quality QB after QB (including 2 eventual Super Bowl winners) and then Zach Maynard is the best he can do for the last few years? Makes no sense at all....

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
That's not what I'm saying. I don't know what position he's going to play. I don't imagine the coaches do either. They may have an idea, but nothing is ever written in stone.

The key words you're overlooking here is "tends to". In other words, it's a tendency for coaches in the SEC (especially if they're a defensive coach by trade) to prefer their best athletes on defense if it's a fit. It doesn't apply to every player in every case on every team in every circumstance.

Anthony Barr wasn't setting high school rushing records as a tailback like Henry. It didn't take Jim Mora (defensive coach by trade) long to figure out the Barr kid needed a shot on defense after Neuheisel (offensive guy) inexplicably kept him toiling away for 2 years down the depth chart at RB.
We saw glimpses of it's value, we should name the position Fowler. I believe Henry would be perfect unless he stops doesn't gain anymore weight.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Since when? We're a balanced offense. We throw and run for almost equal yardage, and on Saturday night, we had one receiver who got open with any consistency. Keenan Allen would have been fun to watch.

Plenty of WR talent right now. Passing is just not a focus.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
We saw glimpses of it's value, we should name the position Fowler. I believe Henry would be perfect unless he stops doesn't gain anymore weight.

I doubt anybody outside of Knoxville realizes that Tennessee's leading scorer on the ground in terms of rushing TD's isn't even a runningback... Heck, he's not even an offensive player.

Their leading scorer on the ground is also their leading tackler... by a large margin.

A.J. Johnson is a linebacker that leads the Vols with 6 rushing TD's, and was recruited by Kirby to come here and play linebacker. We're going to put an athlete like that on defense if we can help it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
no disrespect to the OP, but I have never seen a player that didn't wear Crimson brought up time and time again in the Saban era as Keenan Allen and not just on this board either.

both parties are happy with the end results. I rather here his name on Sundays from now on. :cool2:
Duron Carter laughs at Keenan Allen threads.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think Cooper is outstanding and Norwood, Bell, and Christion Jones don't get near enough credit. I have no idea what would have happened IF Keenan Allen had come to Bama but I'm totally happy with our receiving corps exactly as it is.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Since when? We're a balanced offense. We throw and run for almost equal yardage, and on Saturday night, we had one receiver who got open with any consistency. Keenan Allen would have been fun to watch.
895 yards for Cooper, the next is under 500. Not elite when you don't have a WR over 1,000 yards. Not all that impressive, overall. Again, passing is just not a focus. Sure, there will be open receivers because the running game is so good and the WRs have so much talent.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.