Question: The current and foreseeable state of our two biggest rivals. Thoughts?

GADAWG1980

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2011
Between the hedges
The note about the Vols winning the national title with players from other states might be the most important line in that article. What was going on that enabled this?

Alabama on probation, 1995-97
Auburn on probation, 1993-95
Georgia imploding under Donnan
Kentucky coached by Bill Curry until 1996
Ole Miss on probation, 1994-98
Arkansas not yet built, Ford fired 1997

Their title was strictly due to the mess that was the SEC back then. They could grab players from the twin states with the probation card - that's also why MSU was so good from 1997-2000 (along with their money payment system through a church in Starkville - yes, that's true).

I don't know if Tennessee can ever be a power again. The game of recruiting has changed so much that it can only be harder.

As far as Auburn, they will always have an inferiority complex and be looking up at Alabama - this leads to insanity and ridiculous decisions.
Good post and i agree with you about tenn. Back in the 90,s they used to get so much of the talent in our state. Guys like jamal russell (atlanta)who were such a big part of the one accomplishment theyve had over the past 12/13 yrs. Since than things have changed in the s.e.c. I really dont think they will be able to recruit anywhere near as strongly as they did under colonel lard(fulmer) back in the nineties. They will probably try to purchase a national or sec title much the same way auburn did back in 2010.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think Tennessee wil get the best coach out of the 4 SEC schools that were looking for coaches. I just think people are putting a time limit since all three got a coach and tennessee hasnt. Tennessee is searching for someone who can recruit wheras the others were looking for any1 they could get with a name. There are still good coaches out there and I honestly beleive tennesee will get one of them. Its not uncommon for long drawn out coaching searsches case and point us. Gus wont cut at The Barn and Bilema wont get anything started until 3 years from now and that isnt a guarentee with the west closing in on arkansas in recruiting. come on the guy got mad at Meyer for his SEC type of recruiting.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
It's not good.

As someone else stated, the dynamics have changed. For Tennessee, they must go out of state. With such stable situations at Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina, they are truly behind the 8-ball in recruiting. Tennessee's program reminds me of the housing bubble. Everything got inflated and now its crashed. I don't see it coming back any time soon.

Auburn is in a similar boat with regards to recruiting. Everyone around them is stable and they are second fiddle to all of those schools. They have to cut corners where they can and that's not easy to do. We'll see how Malzahn handles it but I can't see them rebounding any time soon.
With a pinched pocket book from paying off coaches at Auburn, they might not have enough money to buy another SCAM.
Tennessee has financial problems. You can't trust what that ole rascal 'The Tenn.Stud' sez...
I think Tn. is in a world of hurt.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
I think we're in the beginning of, and I'm looking forward to, a run like the one I grew up with in the seventies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.