Is Bobby Petrino washed up with the big jobs?

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Butch Davis has messed over Miami worse than Petrino did Arkansas and UNC was eager to hire him. He then messed over UNC and is now being considered for the FIU job.

A big school will take a chance on Petrino. Winning can make folks overlook a lot of baggage.

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010
In his most recent press conference, he was seen wearing a neck brace, with a face full of road rash, and he lied his butt off. Only a few months have passed. It would be pretty tough for any SEC school to introduce him to the public with a straight face.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
He can still land a big time job, but he needs to explore jobs outside of the southeast and specifically the bible-belt.

The Pac-12 would probably the best place for him to resume his career.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Butch Davis has messed over Miami worse than Petrino did Arkansas and UNC was eager to hire him. He then messed over UNC and is now being considered for the FIU job.

A big school will take a chance on Petrino. Winning can make folks overlook a lot of baggage.
I'm no big Butch supporter but how did he screw up Miami? Even what he left made Larry Coker LOOK GOOD so how did he screw them over? He left them loaded. Now I'll agree he left UNC in a mess but CERTAINLY not Miami.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
In today's college football winning has a way of making people forgive & forget really fast..It's obvious no SEC will touch him this year..But..I have no doubts some major school will give him another go at it..Right or wrong..Winning is a cure all in this day & age of college football..

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Petrino is most likely through in the SEC. I honestly though au would hire him, desperate times down on the plains; I was wrong on that one. He will resurface in the next few years somewhere outside the south.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I'm no big Butch supporter but how did he screw up Miami? Even what he left made Larry Coker LOOK GOOD so how did he screw them over? He left them loaded. Now I'll agree he left UNC in a mess but CERTAINLY not Miami.
Good catch. Brain fart on my part. I was thinking he left with UM on probation, but he took over with UM on probation.

I still think winning will make folks overlook Petrino's baggage.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Good catch. Brain fart on my part. I was thinking he left with UM on probation, but he took over with UM on probation.

I still think winning will make folks overlook Petrino's baggage.
Hey I do it all the time, was just making sure I didn't miss something:wink:

But yes he took them over in a bad situation IIRC, and put some discipline, etc. into the program for a change that seemed to have been totally dropped by Coker of course.....lol. Butch then seemed to totally fall apart at UNC where all he had to do was rebuild and not even have to worry about the trouble makers.

On Petrino I agree. I would not be surprised to see USM take a splash and offer him right away. I would.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'd love to see Petrino at Southern Miss. He would make that program better, which could hurt Ole Miss and Mississippi State, which would help us.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I agree. I think he could do very well there.

I still say as well someone halfway decent gives him a shot. Anyone can load a contract up with "behavior clauses" that will force him to act right. If wifey is ready to go to bat for him things must be well in the Petrino house as well. I doubt he is THAT stupid to pull a stunt like this again. I still say the barn would have been better off with him than the "Gus Bust"

chittlins

2nd Team
Sep 5, 2007
He has even reached out to Arkansas St. and the brass there are unlikely to give him a look. stAte has some returning talent on offense and the QB taking over for the Alpin kid will excel in the Sunbelt.

So has Houston Nutt.:biggrin::biggrin:

Never mind they ran his brother Dickey out of town a few years ago after he tanked as the hoops head man.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
I think that he, like Tressell, will end up taking a job at a smaller school. If and when they do well at those schools I'm sure they'll both get another shot in a few years.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Never underestimate a man's stupidity when it comes to cheating on one's wife. Are you old enough to remember Gary Hart?
Then there's Mike Dubose, who got the opportunity to re-enter the coaching ranks after being fired by UA. He was hired to coach at Milsaps College in Alabama and is now coaching for the University of Memphis.
Not saying anything about MD himself, but he's not the first coach to have endured a period of disgrace before redeeming themselves and climbing the coaching ladder anew.

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
Give it a few more years and some team will be desperate enough to consider him. IF he keeps his nose clean, then he will more than likely get another shot.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think he has to do well with a smaller job first. Do that, he'll get a shot.

I was really hoping he'd get the USF gig. Can you imagine that man in a city where a woman took down two generals?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Anyone can load a contract up with "behavior clauses" that will force him to act right. If wifey is ready to go to bat for him things must be well in the Petrino house as well. I doubt he is THAT stupid to pull a stunt like this again.
He certainly had no issues leaving Louisville and Atlanta in the lurch, despite his contract.

The dude has shown a pattern of incredible immaturity - unless / until he spends a few years NOT screwing up, he's toxic, imo.

Is there a school desperate enough to hire him? Most likely, yes - but to put it in perspective, three SEC head coaches have been filled since he was fired and he wasn't seriously considered for any of them. Not even the barn...

MS TN NC Tidefan

3rd Team
Jan 2, 2003
Huntersville, NC, USA
The guy has lied to his past 3 employers and his wife and family. What idiot is going to believe a word he says? Maybe he can catch on as an OC somewhere, but why would you ever let him be the face of your program? Why would you let him be the representative of your university that goes into recruits homes?

I'm not sure even ESPN wants him and that's pretty bad (after all, they let serial cheater Holtz represent them).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.