Is Bobby Petrino washed up with the big jobs?

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
The word is that Bobby Petrino only received a courtesy phone interview from Auburn after the President and Jacobs vetoed his hiring. Supposedly football never came up but only his behavior at Arkansas. At one point Petrino offered that he and his reconciled with wife come down and have a face to face but was refused. He was left hurt and angry according to Scarbinski.

I personally though he could choose between Tennessee and Auburn, but Kentucky didn't even want him. Now he is being mentioned with lesser jobs and scenarios.. if so and so leaves he might get an offer.

Petrino is washed up at the big schools imo and will have to work his way back up at a smaller school.

I was wrong gauging winning vs baggage. Lying to the same people who would hire him has done it's damage. Mom was right :)

Any thoughts?

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
Wasn't said that the SEC presidents agreed he would not coach in the SEC again. I'm sure he will find a gig in a lesser conference one day.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Not so much washed up as in just a lot of baggage.

The fact he violated hiring laws and such by having his mistress on staff without going through proper interviewing processes, thus opening the risk to lawsuits, is a big thing to potential employers.
For sure, like Dubose X10. It was probably the Bleacher Reports that were predicting his quick rise back into the fold. Sure hasn't worked out that way.
Gentleman's agreement sounds probable.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Bobby's biggest problem in getting hired again is this....when (not if) he pulls another bone-headed stunt, there is no way for whomever hired him to explain it to their boss. Damaged goods....

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Petrino-Gate, Louisville fell apart after he left and accused him of bad discipline on top of being sneeky, Atlanta Mess, Arkansas mess plus the team fell apart when he left. The big paying jobs might be gone for Petrino. Did it to himself.

Pugsley

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 27, 2012
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
I hope no SEC or for that matter a d1, d2 school, even a high school would ever hire that liar.

I also hope he does not get a job at ESPN as a talking head.

I just want him to go away and never be heard again.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Not so much washed up as in just a lot of baggage.

The fact he violated hiring laws and such by having his mistress on staff without going through proper interviewing processes, thus opening the risk to lawsuits, is a big thing to potential employers.
Not to mention leaving his past three employers in the lurch in one way or another - a future employer is going to approach the hire very carefully. He might be a great offensive coordinator, but he's amazingly immature.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
He's had problems everywhere he's been that have been hurtful to his employers. Who wants that?
And it's uncanny how his team at Louisville and Arkansas both collapsed when he left, like the foundation was made on sand. That would have to be considered with the risk.

BocaLance

All-American
Oct 18, 2001
Douglasville (Atlanta), GA
I believe he is.
Nevermind the baggage he's carried everywhere he's been.
Nevermind the affair (as hard as that is to overlook or dismiss.)
He LIED to his previous boss about the whole deal going on. His boss gave him multiple opportunities to come clean, and he still clung to his story ... until the facts were public.
Further, his affair and the way he hired his mistress for a job put the entire university at risk for a major league, multimillion dollar sexual harrassment suit.
He's done on the big stage.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He has a long row to hoe, to be sure, but someone will give him a shot because he is a winner.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
Right now, Bobby Petrino is as dangerous as a ring of electrorefined Plutonium-239 in the hands of Al Qaeda.

It may take a while for the toxicity of what he did at Arkansas to fade, and it may not ever.

At this point, the best thing he can do is go on any ESPN, CBSSports or NBCSports show that will have him and talk about how sorry his is and how his life has changed.

It wasn't the affair he was having. It was the breach of protocol (and likely federal/state law) he committed in hiring his mistress, then lying to his bosses about everything until he had no choice but to fess up.

No employer wants to touch someone like that, barely nine months after it all went down. It will take a desperate program in dire straits to go there. I will be shocked if anyone puts him on the sideline for the 2013 season.

That's why I laughed my butt off at all of the boogs who thought they would get him. Even Jay Jacobs isn't that stupid or desperate.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I think BP probably has enough money stuffed away to last him a lot of years. He should maybe think about buying a car dealership somewhere and moving on with his life after football. I think he'd be great among a bunch of used car salesmen. :wink:

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
If he works for ESPN for 1 year, they would go from criticizing to praising the school that hires him.

a. look at his track record of disaster
b. good move, he made mistakes but is a proven winner.

ESPN makes reality for the masses :cool:

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
Maybe he should try to get an OC job in the NFL, he wouldn't have to talk to the press very much or be the face of the franchise.
Let this scandal blow over for a few years.

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009
I'm going counter to the trend. I think he'll get a job this year. If not write it down that he will be a head coach at the FBS level in 2014. If Gus had turned them down, I think he would have gotten the Auburn job.

Kelvin Sampson got the Indiana job when everyone knew he was a serial cheater.
John Claipari's record has more erasure marks than a first grader's vocabulary homework, yet he can set his own salary.
Rick Pitino knocked up the girlfriend and later wife of a Louisville staffer and still has a job.
Just last year, Gary Pinkel survived actually being arrested and convicted of DUI.

Pitino wins games - lots of them and he'll be willing to take a deal for less than someone at his level would normally demand. Someone will hire him and it will be sooner rather than later.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.