No respect for s.e.c tailbacks obviously.

GADAWG1980

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2011
Between the hedges
I cannot believe that no Georgia or alabama tailbacks made finalist for the doak walker award. Montee ball?? a back from an 8-5 wisconsin team,kenjon barner??ucla whoever?? ESpecially after the performances by eddie lacy,tj yeldon and todd gurley in the s.e.c championship game i assumed that at least one of these guys wouldve made finalist for the doak walker award. Look at the defenses thse guys play against in the s.e.c as opposed to what the finalist that were chosen face. Big ten defenses?? Pac 12 defenses??(besides maybe stanford) Wow unbelievable.:mad2:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I cannot believe that no Georgia or alabama tailbacks made finalist for the doak walker award. Montee ball?? a back from an 8-5 wisconsin team,kenjon barner??ucla whoever?? ESpecially after the performances by eddie lacy,tj yeldon and todd gurley in the s.e.c championship game i assumed that at least one of these guys wouldve made finalist for the doak walker award. Look at the defenses thse guys play against in the s.e.c as opposed to what the finalist that were chosen face. Big ten defenses?? Pac 12 defenses??(besides maybe stanford) Wow unbelievable.:mad2:

im guessing it has something to do with SEC fatigue, but i'm not sure. it is a shame though. just those three put on a big time performance in the seccg and have been doing so all year.

Bamatim15

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 12, 2012
Kingsport TN
When Lacy and Yeldon tarnish the "domers" we'll see how they feel about Bama's running backs then. Gurley would rip them too. I dare to say there's a couple down on the bayou that would ring their bell also. Oh wait! I'm I bragging on the SEC? :eek2: Shame on me!

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Victim of our own success. Alabama and Georgia are loaded with multiple backs. So the carries are not much for one certain player.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is almost always a stats award, and the finalists have the best stats (by a wide margin) this year. I would argue that Trent winning it last year was quite a feat given how far he was behind Monte Ball, statistically.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Montee Ball is a scoring machine and if you look at all the numbers he's put up over his career, I imagine he'll take the award. Now his NFL career may be short lived for the reasons we've all talked about on this board. Running Backs have a limited number of hits before the body give in and if you hit that number too soon, your career ends up being quite short.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Wisconsin has some good rushing numbers the second rusher behind Ball has 800 yards. But their last game against the pitiful Nebraska was huge, they had almost 550 yards rushing and both backs had 200 each!

GADAWG1980

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2011
Between the hedges
im guessing it has something to do with SEC fatigue, but i'm not sure. it is a shame though. just those three put on a big time performance in the seccg and have been doing so all year.
hows it going 92?? Couldnt believe these were the three finalists. Just like you said theyve been doing it all year and against much better and faster defenses and todd and tj are freshman!! I really dont think those outside our conference realize just how tough and fast these defenses are in our conference. Pac 12 insiders and fans alike like to think that stanford,oregon and ucla have such great defenses?? I think outsiders from this conference looking in realize that you guys,lsu,forida,georgia,south carolina all have great defenses. What they dont realize is that vandy,mississippi(although they are a little undersized)miss state and texas a/m have excellent defenses as well. I would take just about any s.e.c defense(besides auburn,tenn and kentucy)over the best the big ten and pac 12,or any other conference or independent(notre dame)have to offer. I have a strong feeling notre dames going to get a lesson in team speed and defensive play real soon.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
hows it going 92?? Couldnt believe these were the three finalists. Just like you said theyve been doing it all year and against much better and faster defenses and todd and tj are freshman!! I really dont think those outside our conference realize just how tough and fast these defenses are in our conference. Pac 12 insiders and fans alike like to think that stanford,oregon and ucla have such great defenses?? I think outsiders from this conference looking in realize that you guys,lsu,forida,georgia,south carolina all have great defenses. What they dont realize is that vandy,mississippi(although they are a little undersized)miss state and texas a/m have excellent defenses as well. I would take just about any s.e.c defense(besides auburn,tenn and kentucy)over the best the big ten and pac 12,or any other conference or independent(notre dame)have to offer. I have a strong feeling notre dames going to get a lesson in team speed and defensive play real soon.
doing well. i fully agree on the bolded part.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The real crime is that Barner is going to win this thing, even with the worst stats of the 3 finalists, even in the face of Ball's career numbers, just because of his huge game against USC on national TV.

GADAWG1980

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2011
Between the hedges
Would really like to see what kind of numbers tj yeldon,eddie lacy,todd gurley keith marshall would put up against a big ten schedule and compare them with what those three finalists theyve selected for the doak walker award would come up with playing an s.e.c schedule. Personally i would take a healthy zach stacy out of vanderbilt over kenjon barner.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
In the SEC this year there were no workhorse backs. UGA, UA and LSU all ran a multiple backs. Lacy didn't carry it 20 times at all during the regular season, and even in the SECCG he only had 20 carries.

Montee Ball had 20+ carries 8 times this year and 30+ carries 4 times. He averaged under 5 yards a carry in 8 of his games this year.

I have no issue with no SEC backs getting the Doak Walker award because of how the SEC has used RBs this year. That said, I'd rather have Gurley, Eddie and TJ over any other RB in the country.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
The stats show that Johnny Football is as good a RB as Lacy. Wow! Ball deserves it for career acheivement. The two Freshmen have plenty of time later on. SEC just didn't have that dominant back(Trent Richardson style) this year after Lattimore went down.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The stats show that Johnny Football is as good a RB as Lacy. Wow! Ball deserves it for career acheivement. The two Freshmen have plenty of time later on. SEC just didn't have that dominant back(Trent Richardson style) this year after Lattimore went down.
Didn't realize the Doak Walker Award was a career award. Thought it was for a season. Who knew.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Would really like to see what kind of numbers tj yeldon,eddie lacy,todd gurley keith marshall would put up against a big ten schedule and compare them with what those three finalists theyve selected for the doak walker award would come up with playing an s.e.c schedule. Personally i would take a healthy zach stacy out of vanderbilt over kenjon barner.
More and more of the better SEC teams are spreading the carries over two, or even three backs. Our third back hasn't gotten as many carries as the #3s before him, apparently because of some difficulty mastering the blocking schemes. Even with two, it really cuts into the carries. The SEC coaches, and particularly Saban, have been successful in getting through to the RB prospects that they will have a longer shelf life in the NFL if they're not having to carry the ball 95% of the running plays. Once the guys realize this, they become very team-oriented and supportive of each other. It's a breath of fresh air, compared to all the prima donna acts on other teams when the guy who thinks he's the "featured back" isn't getting the carries he feels he deserves...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.