Question: What is AJ's draft outlook?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
To be fair to him, if you look at the videos, he looks right first, after the PA fake, and then he looks left and "OMG, Amari's open" and lets it fly...
I'll agree and I'll also give him this benefit of the doubt as far as the progressions--I think Coach Saban has a tendency to pick out a go to guy and to instruct all parties involved(including Nuss) to get the ball to him if at all possible. I may be wrong about this but somehow I don't think so.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Agreed...my point is that AJ's stock might soar if he has a similar outing to last January and we take home another NC trophy. I know his heart is all Crimson and he may want to come back to finish his eligibility regardless. But a back-to-back National Championship QB may have much more to lose by coming back and risking injury than to take it to the NFL and start learing as a backup.
But how about a chance to be the first and only QB to possibly win three in a row??? If he accomplished that he'd probably make more off of endorsements and being an ESPN analyst than he could ever make in the NFL many times over. To do something no Quarterback has EVER done would make me want to give it a shot.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
To be fair to him, if you look at the videos, he looks right first, after the PA fake, and then he looks left and "OMG, Amari's open" and lets it fly...
I'll say this too Earle, sometimes Amari is so wide open that it's almost like A.J. hesitates thinking, "Nobody could be that wide open" lol

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Probably a 3rd or 4th round pick. Staying for his 4th year depends on whether AJ thinks that his draft stock would improve with another year in college.

He might be advised by NFL scouts that his draft status may already be maxed out and that he would be better off entering the NFL now (even as a 3rd or 4th round pick) so he can start working his way up.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
You have to look at two things when it comes to drafting QB's, and seeing where they land. First is grade, and how high he would grade out in comparison to other QB's in the draft. With that, he would do alright I would assume. He has good size, decent mobility, a good (not great) arm, and a nice football IQ. I would say he is top 10 among QB's in that aspect.

Only two QB's, as of now, grade as first round picks (Geno Smith and Matt Barkley). Add in the other senior prospects who grade out as draftable (Mike Glennon 1st or 2nd round; Tyler Wilson, EJ Manuel, and Landry Jones 2nd or 3rd; Aaron Murray, Ryan Nassib, and Zac Dysert 4th or later), plus the junior currently ranked ahead of him (Logan Thomas, Tyler Bray, Derek Carr, and Bryn Renner courtesy of ESPN), and you see he would probably fall into that 8-13 range as a drafted QB. Which would fall somewhere in the 4th-7th round.

Second is need... That's whereit gets hairy, because not many teams are QB shopping this year, and there will be a trickle down effect because of it. He has little upside in leaving...

Last edited:

markenk

1st Team
Aug 3, 2003
England
AJ could really use another year to further develop his fundamentals, especially his footwork and accuracy on the throws of 15-20 yards range. Right now, I would say that he's a 4-6th rounder.

acbl_phill

Scout Team
Aug 25, 2010
Birmingham
I would like to know if he is going or not. Before the season started AJ and I believe his mom stated he would be entering the draft after this season.

I hope he stays. I really like watching him play.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
After the Mississippi State game I thought he was gone for sure. Since then he hasn't looked all that great. I think it would be a really big mistake to leave, but a lot of people say he wants to. I hope he stays next year both for his sake and Alabama's.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I think the, will he go or will he stay, discussion changed in the later part of our season.
AJ was a world beater early in the season. (Color him gone)
BUT
He hasn't been quite the same after he was injured. (May stay)

AJ's decision may be influenced by what our OC does, if Nuss goes AJ may decide to go also. (Gone)
If Nuss stays AJ may decide to stay for his Senior season, to try to improve his draft position.
(May stay)

It will be a pretty deep QB class that goes Pro this year, that could push AJ
lower in this years draft. (Flip a coin)

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I would like to know if he is going or not. Before the season started AJ and I believe his mom stated he would be entering the draft after this season.

I hope he stays. I really like watching him play.
Actually, it's pretty much the opposite. His dad has been pushing his early departure for three years now. His mom is supportive of whatever advice Saban gives. Talk from his dad has pretty much died down and I think the odds heavily favor his returning for one more year...

Ty Webb

Suspended
Feb 3, 2012
It would be really really dumb for him to leave this year against this very deep QB class.

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
I know some of us claim to have a source and I am sure some of us do and from what I hear is he will return for his senior year. But then again he is a red shirt junior and coach Nuss is interviewing for the S Miss job and we may see a new OC so nothing is 100%.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
NFL analysts are calling this the worst college QB class in at least 5 years, and this includes juniors that might come out early. They see no "can't miss, NFL ready" QBs coming out. QBs drafted will all be projects. If you win on 1/7, AJ will be much more attractive than most of his peers as a player to develop.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.