Tennessee has hired Butch Jones

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Butch Jones will finally learn what it is like to follow Derek Dooley in the SEC instead of Brian Kelly in the not-SEC. Really, though, if I were ranking all the names mentioned by who I would want as my coach, Jones would be somewhere at the bottom of the list.
So, Yay!

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
was worried about Strong, Gruden, Petrino, or Smart....not at all worried about Butch Jones but, then again, when you're down to your 6th choice what do you expect?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I would dearly love to see Jones interview Fulmer for a prominent spot on his staff, then take a pass on him. And yes, I said pass, spelled with an a.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
:rofl: You have to love the logic here. Fire a coach, then replace that coach with a guy that actually lost to the guy you just fired. Nicely done, UcheaT. Nicely done!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This hire makes no sense, and is probably not an upgrade of Dooley. They fired Dooley without a clear game plan. Their AD will be gone soon, IMO.

Lassr4Bama

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Hazel Green, AL
I kept hearing a lot of talking heads mention "Butch Jones is still out there." "Butch Jones should probably get a look."

I wonder if UT finally stop trying themselves and just listened to the sports talk people. Doesn't seem to be an impressive hire. Maybe there is something to him I'm not seeing...

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Phat Phil wants to see a link. He knows there is no way HIS Tennessee would not choose the best college footballl coach ever in the history of the world.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
Butch Jones interviewed and was offered the job at Colorado, and turned it down.

Jones would have been a home run hire for CU, but I agree that it's completely underwhelming for Tennessee.

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
From a Vols board:
The difference between Tennessee and Alabama
Bama, after probation, heavy sanctions, and Dubose, Price, Franchione, and Shula, had to make their hire count. They wouldn't take no for an answer, and they pressed on until January until they had a coach they were satisfied with. They are, once again, the best program in college football by a large margin. Tennessee just found themselves in a similar situation, minus the sanctions. Apparently, we just took the first guy who said yes.

I know people are going to talk about how Jones was the only one willing to take the job, but in spite of this train wreck of a coaching search, I find that unlikely. People spent the last three years convincing themselves that an obviously terrible coach was good at his job. I hope our fans will be a little more honest this time around. Ignoring reality just makes it take longer to fix the problem.

Maybe in a few years, we'll realize that the football program won't be fixed just because "we are Tennessee." We're only going to get what we demand. I firmly believe that Tennessee has the resources to have a successful, if not elite, football program. Maybe someday, Tennessee will believe it, too.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
I don't think it's a terrible hire, but it is underwhelming and makes UT look bad. A Brian Kelly mop up guy?

Not really impressed with any of the hires this off season. I suppose Bielema is the best hire. Then really it's Stoops at UK b/c hey, it's UK and ANY Stoops would be an upgrade.

Half of Bama's 2013 SEC games will be against new coaches.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
So far Hart has forced out Pat Summit, had a sexual discrimination suit filed against his department and now has hired a football coach from Cincinnati. The REC must be paying him well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.