Question: Play calling?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It is funny how quickly people forget about last year's NCG. We threw on first down 15/16 times. That is what helped us dominate. Most teams expect us to run on first downs, so therefore I don't mind throwing on first downs. If anyone one here can predict when we will run or throw on first down, then Nuss is not doing a very good job. The goal is to not be predictable on first down. ND will stop us on first down if they know we will run every time. ND's run defense will be much better than UGA's. If they stop the run on first down, then we become predictable on 2nd, and 3rd downs too.
It depends on the matchups. Last year we had a prelude going into the NCG as to how LSU could handle our running game. The answer? They could handle it quite well. So we knew going into the NCG we were going to have to do something different.

This is a different game, different team and totally different circumstances. Our strength is running the ball. We don't know if ND is capable of handling it or not. So to jump to the game plan of last season's NCG could possibly be a huge mistake. Personally, I don't think ND's defense is in the same class as last season's LSU's defense. Nowhere close. I think we play toward our strength until ND shows they can stop it. If we would have come out of the gate in the SECCG pounding the ball like we did in the second half I don't think that game would have gone down as one of the greatest in SEC history. Because it wouldn't have been that close. But that's just my opinion.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
It is funny how quickly people forget about last year's NCG. We threw on first down 15/16 times. That is what helped us dominate. Most teams expect us to run on first downs, so therefore I don't mind throwing on first downs. If anyone one here can predict when we will run or throw on first down, then Nuss is not doing a very good job. The goal is to not be predictable on first down. ND will stop us on first down if they know we will run every time. ND's run defense will be much better than UGA's. If they stop the run on first down, then we become predictable on 2nd, and 3rd downs too.
Exactly. It would be run-run-pass-punt all night long.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
3 out of the last 4 seasons, we've heard that Alabama QBs have been badly hurt and could barely play by the end of the season. Bottom line, if they take the field, they own the performance. They aren't ask to run and play behind the best O line in the nation. If they are that hurt, run another kid out there.
That was a factor in P. Sims' transfer. He knew that, since AJ couldn't even practice, and that he still didn't see the field, he would not be getting any PT any time soon. As it's turning out now, AJ probably stays next year, so it makes Sims' decision look better...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Exactly. It would be run-run-pass-punt all night long.
Against GA it was run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, kick PAT - rinse, repeat. Until ND proves it can stop you, I would start with some variation of this. Maybe mix in a few more runs to keep them honest.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It depends on the matchups. Last year we had a prelude going into the NCG as to how LSU could handle our running game. The answer? They could handle it quite well. So we knew going into the NCG we were going to have to do something different.

This is a different game, different team and totally different circumstances. Our strength is running the ball. We don't know if ND is capable of handling it or not. So to jump to the game plan of last season's NCG could possibly be a huge mistake. Personally, I don't think ND's defense is in the same class as last season's LSU's defense. Nowhere close. I think we play toward our strength until ND shows they can stop it. If we would have come out of the gate in the SECCG pounding the ball like we did in the second half I don't think that game would have gone down as one of the greatest in SEC history. Because it wouldn't have been that close. But that's just my opinion.
I agree that, with ND, the pounding should come first. UGA couldn't stop it when they knew it was coming. I think ND should be required to prove they can stop it when UGA couldn't do it with eleven in the box...

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Put me in the camp that believes we would have beaten Georgia much worse had we not thrown a single pass!
Ha. That TD pass was a thing of beauty but I told my son we had scored to early and there was to much time left for GA to come back. If you had covered the same 40 yds on the ground the game would have been over. Course there was gaurentee but thats what I thought at the time.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
I agree that, with ND, the pounding should come first. UGA couldn't stop it when they knew it was coming. I think ND should be required to prove they can stop it when UGA couldn't do it with eleven in the box...
And keeping in mind that our run success in the 1st Qtr will not be as good as it will be in the 4th Qtr, against a tired, worn out ND defense.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I don't think people have forgotten. Specifically the coaching staff hasn't forgotten. To me this entire year we have tried to recreate the gameplan against LSU but many times to me it wasn't necessary. I think the OL is much better at run blocking this year than they were last year even though they were really good last year. As others have said at the beginning of games we seem to rely heavily on the pass. Against our better opponents it hasn't worked as well as we would like. We end up shifting to the run and then things start flowing better.

To me the success of the LSU gameplan has almost been a curse as far as our offensive playcalling this year. I realize we have had great success on offense but we have periods of stagnancy and they seem to correlate to times when we are throwing it a whole bunch.

Also if AJ is as badly hurt as some people on here believe, why have we made him the focal point of the offense in these games? To me we would make our offense more conservative and really make the other team stop our run game to the point where we need AJ to make plays instead of the other way around.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.