Beat Alabama Win A Heisman!

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Well not always but its been kind of a trend lately! :) Tebow, Cam now Johnny Football! Why? Well just shows what coach Saban has accomplished here! Beat Bama and you have done something! The only team that does not envy Notre Dame is Alabama! Would Johnny Manzell have won the Heisman if Texas A&M were still in the Big 12? That move to the SEC has payed off in spades! :)

Crimson Grin

1st Team
Jan 27, 2005
Georgia
Re: Beat Alabama Win A Hiesman!

Well not always but its been kind of a trend lately! :) Tebow, Cam now Johnny Football! Why? Well just shows what coach Saban has accomplished here! Beat Bama and you have done something! The only team that does not envy Notre Dame is Alabama! Would Johnny Manzell have won the Heisman if Texas A&M were still in the Big 12? That move to the SEC has payed off in spades! :)
I was thinking the same thing.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Tebow won it in 2007 and did not play Alabama that year. When Tebow beat Bama in 2008, Sam Bradford won.

Cam was a clear cut winner prior to beating Bama in 2010.

Johnny Boy was the only one that became a Heisman candidate/winner after beating Bama.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

It pretty much takes a Heisman winning QB to beat Alabama...

I told my younger cousin before the game I thought it would determine the Heisman. Johnny played an amazing game in what was at the time the second highest rated game of the year. He earned his award and demonstrated the level the opposition has to be at to beat Alabama.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed

I am happy that Maniel won, but boy this year's finalist for the award, in the grand scheme of things, is a very medicore. None of them "wow'ed" me this year, not even Manziel. But nonetheless congrats Johnathan Manziel. (Yes, I refused to call him by that stupid nickname.)

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

It pretty much takes a Heisman winning QB to beat Alabama...

I told my younger cousin before the game I thought it would determine the Heisman. Johnny played an amazing game in what was at the time the second highest rated game of the year. He earned his award and demonstrated the level the opposition has to be at to beat Alabama.
Not to hijack the thread but it is amazing how a season and a career can turn on a game. Remember Alabama vs Boston College in '84? I'm convinced if Kerry Goode doesn't blow a knee Bama wins the game and he wins the Heisman not Flutie. He had almost 300 yds total offense early in the 3rd qtr when he was injured.

RAB83

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 13, 2012
Would Johnny Manzell have won the Heisman if Texas A&M were still in the Big 12?
Absolutely not, though somehow RGIII won it in the Big ***. However, there's no question a redshirt freshman from A&M wins in the Big *** this year.

That move to the SEC has payed off in spades! :)
Heisman notwithstanding, you have no idea. So glad to be here.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010

Tebow won it in 2007 and did not play Alabama that year. When Tebow beat Bama in 2008, Sam Bradford won.

Johnny Boy was the only one that became a Heisman candidate/winner after beating Bama.
You are absolutely correct on Tebow, but it took a Heisman effort to beat us in '08. Man how time has flown! ;) I promise you though on Cam, if Bama had held the course in that game and Cam had gotten beat bad as it looked like he was going to be, he wouldn't have won it. That was around the time the shopping around allegations got to going. A bad loss at the end of his season would have killed his chances I believe. But with the miraculous comeback it sealed the deal. :)

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

HEY, HEY, HEY. Where do you get off interjecting facts into this discussion?

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010

HEY, HEY, HEY. Where do you get off interjecting facts into this discussion?
Yep. Cam was head and shoulders above everybody in the Heisman race that year before beating Bama, but that miracle win cemented what looked to be unraveling with the son of a preacher man sweepstakes! ;) You know the biggest hurdle for Cam winning was not beating Bama in hindsight though. It was escaping unscathed from the NCAA's wrath. That I guess was the greatest miracle of the Cam Heisman campaign. At least I was right about Johnny Football! ;)

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
RGIII won in the Big12 last year. TAMU goes to Baylors offense and wins. If TAMU stays in the Big, are they playing for a NC? It usually takes an athletic QB to beat Alabama? Why doesn't Alabama want an athletic QB?

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

If the barn had lost to Alabama and Cam was not able to lead an epic comeback then Andrew Luck may have very well won in a close vote.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

While I disagree with the premise of this thread title, if A & M hadn't had their 1st quarter runaway against us, J M wouldn't have won, or maybe not even been under serious consideration. That was my problem with this. His body of work this year, while overall pretty good, did not justify this. I dont remember the details but wasn't he QB when A & M lost two? He came very close to losing another.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010

While I disagree with the premise of this thread title, if A & M hadn't had their 1st quarter runaway against us, J M wouldn't have won, or maybe not even been under serious consideration. That was my problem with this. His body of work this year, while overall pretty good, did not justify this. I dont remember the details but wasn't he QB when A & M lost two? He came very close to losing another.
Well he did break Cam Newtons SEC yardage record who had beat Tebow's so there is that. But in reality this was a down year for a Heisman runaway. Several started out like runaways but died down the stretch and Johnny came up big at the end when most opinions are made. :)

AggieMom

Suspended
Nov 19, 2012
Huntsville, AL

http://v4.texags.com/Stories/7223

At about 20:00 in this press conference, OC Kingsbury addresses the fact that in FL loss - Manziel's first time to step on the field in a college game - they didn't know what they had in a quarterback. Because of no tackles in practice, he under utilized JM's ability to make plays with his legs. That game was lost by 3 points and JM had no interceptions or turnovers. In the LSU game JM had a bad 2nd half throwing 3 int's. Even at that, they lost by 5 pts after the kicker missed 2 FG's and an extra pt.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC

You could look at it as it takes a Heisman trophy winner to beat Alabama. If not the actual winner they usually have a player who plays to that level for one game.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

Out of curiosity, when was the last time one team (ok maybe a team outside of us, LSU, and a few other SEC teams) had to face so many Heisman winners in such a short time span? Maybe its more frequent than I think but I think its crazy that we played 3 heisman winners in 5 years (and had one of our own). Yeah I know we didn't play Tebow in 07, but he was definitely a much better QB in 08 and 09 than he was as a sophomore.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.