Has anyone had a chance to watch any Notre Dame games?

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
JJ beat Alabama twice, so no. Just saying a mobile QB is a threat in this game. I don't think he is good enough to win, but could cause problems with a roll out with the TE.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Notre Dame doesn't depend on their QB as much as those Florida, Auburn, and TAMU teams. I really think the LSU comparison holds up. People forget that they have their version of Jarrett Lee backing up Golson, Rees. He comes in when Golson struggles and has saved them once or twice this season.

If ND can repeat what got them to 12-0 against us, all they need is an efficient day from Golson where he hits a few big passes. LSU got this from Jefferson and even Lee in 2010.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
JJ beat Alabama twice, so no. Just saying a mobile QB is a threat in this game. I don't think he is good enough to win, but could cause problems with a roll out with the TE.
And again, I say that using JJ as an example is silly - ND doesn't have NEARLY the talent surrounding Golson as JJ had at LSU.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
What is silly about a bad QB who can run beating Alabana? It is a threat. Without a few lucky bounces and Gohlson making some plays with his legs, ND has no chance.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
What is silly about a bad QB who can run beating Alabana? It is a threat. Without a few lucky bounces and Gohlson making some plays with his legs, ND has no chance.
Because that's not how JJ beat us - if it weren't for ridiculous talent everywhere on the field, the fact he could tuck it and run wouldn't have amounted to anything.

I don't think Golson has the talent around him to allow his legs to challenge us very much. They do have a senior-lden OL and such, but they certainly don't have the talent UF, A&M or LSU had surrounding those QBs when they beat us.

I'm NOT saying Golson can't give us problems, and I'm NOT saying ND can't win - I'm simply equating his ability to run with JJ's and therefor concluding he could beat us is a stretch, as on any 'normally' talented team, JJ doesn't beat us either time.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I just think I failed to make my point above.

Because that's not how JJ beat us - if it weren't for ridiculous talent everywhere on the field, the fact he could tuck it and run wouldn't have amounted to anything.

I don't think Golson has the talent around him to allow his legs to challenge us very much. They do have a senior-lden OL and such, but they certainly don't have the talent UF, A&M or LSU had surrounding those QBs when they beat us.

I'm NOT saying Golson can't give us problems, and I'm NOT saying ND can't win - I'm simply equating his ability to run with JJ's and therefor concluding he could beat us is a stretch, as on any 'normally' talented team, JJ doesn't beat us either time.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I just think I failed to make my point above.
Totally agree, that's how Bama is beaten. It's something ND doesn't have. I think it ends up like our Michigan game. To me, just my opinion, ND looks slow.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
Golson passing efficiency- 131.79
Denard Robinson passing efficiency- 127.41

Kind of gives you an idea of how mediocre his passing numbers are.
And Golson is mobile, but hardly the kind of running skills of Manziel.
He hasn't been running circles around anybody.

ND fans love the guy because helped them make it to the big game this year.
But the bottom line is he's an inexperienced, mediocre QB, and certainly has never faced a defense like Alabama.
I don't expect Golson to have a big game.

ohiotide14

1st Team
Jan 3, 2012
Youngstown, OH
thank you CRMSNtide...finally the voice of reason. I think too many of you are drinking the ESPN kool aid. Its just natural over 30 days to start to rationalize in your mind how ND can win, and then you see some ESPN analyst named Golic hyping up ND and you pee yourself. Come on guys this is black and white. stop overthinking all of this. we all wanted to play ND and everyone knew that the sec ship was the real ship. you guys are complicating this. we do have a common opponent remember? nd mich 13-6. nd purdue 20-17. nd-bc 21-6. nd-pitt 29-26. come on guys wake up.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
How did the QB do against the top defenses ND faced this year?
Michigan St 14 of 32 for 178 yards with 1 td.

Michigan 3 of 8 for 30 yards 0 td 2 int.

Stanford 12 of 24 for 141 yards 1 td.

Didn't play against BYU

Oklahoma 13 of 25 for 177 yards 0 td 0 int.

So I would say not that well but most of those were earlier in the year.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/515409/everett-golson

Those are his full numbers did most of his damage against BC, Wake, and Pitt.

Michigan St 14 of 32 for 178 yards with 1 td.

Michigan 3 of 8 for 30 yards 0 td 2 int.

Stanford 12 of 24 for 141 yards 1 td.

Didn't play against BYU

Oklahoma 13 of 25 for 177 yards 0 td 0 int.

So I would say not that well but most of those were earlier in the year.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/515409/everett-golson

Those are his full numbers did most of his damage against BC, Wake, and Pitt.
Well, wow, I thought it would be better than that. But he wasn't a concern for me any way.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Well, wow, I thought it would be better than that. But he wasn't a concern for me any way.
ND could be suffering some of the same things that UGA was suffering going into the championship game; except for UGA it was their defense was making strides and becoming a dominant unit with Notre Dame it's the offense is making strides and really becoming good. The common thread is that their level of competition went down significantly. Notre Dame's last four were against Pitt, BC, Wake, and USC.

So maybe Gholson has made strides and is much improved, or maybe he did better against weaker competition. My previous post would seem to show that he didn't do that well against the tough compeition. I really hope it turns out just like UGA that they hadn't solved there issues and they were just masked by the level of competition.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
Looking at their schedule, the last decent team they played was Oklahoma, and that was before Halloween.
Since then we have played LSU, A&M and Georgia, 3 teams that are ranked in the top 10.
May not mean much, but it seems we would be much more battle tested going into this game.

Plus, our coaches and players are used to playing against really good teams in big games.
When is the last time ND faced a truly good, top 5 type team?

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Looking at their schedule, the last decent team they played was Oklahoma, and that was before Halloween.
Since then we have played LSU, A&M and Georgia, 3 teams that are ranked in the top 10.
May not mean much, but it seems we would be much more battle tested going into this game.

Plus, our coaches and players are used to playing against really good teams in big games.
When is the last time ND faced a truly good, top 5 type team?
when was the last time ND played in a big game that meant anything???

Oklahoma might be the closest in 25 years.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
That game is pretty much the tale of their season. USCw was awful that night, plus played a freshman QB. They weren't going to win.
Agreed. USC's defense is horrible. They gave up 39 to Arizona, 62 to Oregon, and 38 to UCLA. The fact that they were able to hold ND to 22 and lose by 9 all but shows that if Barkley had played, then ND probably would have lost.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.