Texas Tech hires Texas A&M Offensive Coordinator for head coach

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/12/texas_tech_hires_kliff_kingsbu.html#incart_river

"Texas Tech hired one of its own Wednesday, bringing back former Red Raiders quarterback Kliff Kingsbury to become the head coach."

"Kingsbury was the offensive coordinator at Texas A&M, coaching Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel, this year and was the first in a string of record-setting quarterbacks for the Red Raiders under former coach Mike Leach."

"He has never been a head coach and at 33, he'll be one of the youngest in major college football."

ColumbusTide

1st Team
Jan 10, 2007
Texas Tech hires Texas A&M Offenisve Coordinator for head coach

He is awfully young. He will need to hire a good defensive coordinator to really be successful.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/12/texas_tech_hires_kliff_kingsbu.html#incart_river

"Texas Tech hired one of its own Wednesday, bringing back former Red Raiders quarterback Kliff Kingsbury to become the head coach."

"Kingsbury was the offensive coordinator at Texas A&M, coaching Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel, this year and was the first in a string of record-setting quarterbacks for the Red Raiders under former coach Mike Leach."

"He has never been a head coach and at 33, he'll be one of the youngest in major college football."
I wonder how much drop off aTm will see on offense next year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Great hire for Tech. As someone mentioned in the Coaching Carousel thread, he should be loyal to TT as an alumnus. Add his loyalty with his age, the only missing piece to a lifetime coach is success. If he can be successful at TT, he'll be there a long, long time.

In relation to the necessary defense, I think he learned this year at A&M what a stout D can do. Bama saw first hand that defense wasn't anything to laugh at.

MightyWingman

1st Team
Jun 9, 2010
Houston, TX
Considering they're losing two (likely) top10 tackles, three of four RBs (iirc) and a ton of other players, and now Kingsbury - I suspect next year will be a step back for A&M.
We might lose one of the tackles (Luke Joeckel), Jake Matthews isn't leaving. We are definitely losing Patrick Lewis (he's a senior) and are replacing him with Mike Matthews (Jakes brother). We're losing 1 RB and getting in 2 RB transfers, one from Oregeon named Tra Carson who was a 3 or 4* and Brandon Williams from OU who was a 5*.

On defense, we're losing a 2 LB's and a DB that were great contributors and possibly Demontre Moore.

Kingsbury did a pretty good job for us, but he's just 3 years removed from being a G.A. at UofH and this past season was his first as an OC. Prior to coming to A&M he was a Co-OC with Jason Phillips who's now at SMU.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
Considering they're losing two (likely) top10 tackles, three of four RBs (iirc) and a ton of other players, and now Kingsbury - I suspect next year will be a step back for A&M.
Yes. Mike Sherman did an excellent job recruiting that offense over the years. I'm not sure how Sumlin's recruiting stacks up and whether they have to reload or rebuild. But a drop off should be in store for 2013. You don't just replace that kind of depth and talent and expect to keep right on clicking along.

Sabine Free Sta

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 3, 2012
We might lose one of the tackles (Luke Joeckel), Jake Matthews isn't leaving. We are definitely losing Patrick Lewis (he's a senior) and are replacing him with Mike Matthews (Jakes brother). We're losing 1 RB and getting in 2 RB transfers, one from Oregeon named Tra Carson who was a 3 or 4* and Brandon Williams from OU who was a 5*.

On defense, we're losing a 2 LB's and a DB that were great contributors and possibly Demontre Moore.

Kingsbury did a pretty good job for us, but he's just 3 years removed from being a G.A. at UofH and this past season was his first as an OC. Prior to coming to A&M he was a Co-OC with Jason Phillips who's now at SMU.
Moving up so quickly in ones career is not always a blessing.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Good for him. 3 years ago he was making $20,000 a year, now he's making 100 times as much. One of Leach's first really productive QBs.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Yes. Mike Sherman did an excellent job recruiting that offense over the years. I'm not sure how Sumlin's recruiting stacks up and whether they have to reload or rebuild. But a drop off should be in store for 2013. You don't just replace that kind of depth and talent and expect to keep right on clicking along.
TAMU is currently ranked #7 on Rivals with 34 commits. they have 15 4 *. TAMU is currently ranked #1 on Scouts with 2 5* and 15 4*.

I don't think recruiting talent is a problem. how they will develop under Sumlin remains to be seen.

as mentioned before, TAMU is in prime real estate for recruitment. with their instant success in the SEC this season, I expect them to be in the Top 10 in recruiting rankings for awhile.

Last edited:

RAB83

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 13, 2012
as mentioned before, TAMU is in prime real estate for recruitment. with their instant success in the SEC this season, I expect them to be in the Top 10 in recruiting rankings for awhile.
OTOH, a school can consistently be in the top 10 nationally and still be 5th in the SEC.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
If he can give them winning records, bowl games, and an occasional run for the conference title, they will be happy in Lubbock.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.