Link: Elite 11 2013 CO QB Luke Del Rio to Walk-On at Alabama

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Re: 2013 CO QB Luke Del Rio

I think someone said this is about him being around CNS for future coaching purposes. Since his family is financially secure it makes perfect sense.

Besides without even knowing anything about his skills and knowing he had offers from other legit schools, he'll be a great option (in case of injuries in the future).
I think Bama moon hit the nail on the head. Just like Rex Ryan wanted his son to come to Bama to learn how to coach, so does Jack Del Rio. These NFL coaches know that the experience and knowledge they gain from a program like Sabans is worth much more than playing time at another university. ALso, Luke finished better than Cooper Bateman in the Elite 11, so I imagine he plans on earning a spot. He reminds me a lot of Mike Shula with a better arm. Smart, accurate, and average skills. I wonder this will affect Parker McLeod's decision.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

He must sit 2 years or would retroactively count against the 25/85 limits. In year 1 and 2 he will count against the 105 practice limits and then have 3 years to play 3.

It works out well for both sides here since there was next to no chance he would see the field as a true freshman with AJ/Sims/Ely returning or redshirt freshman against Sims/Ely/Morris.

I don't know where you are getting info that he has to sit out. Much less, 2 years?? A walk-on is the same as any scholarship player, without getting money for college. He is not transferring.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I think the recruiting services have him around 27-29. However, the Elite 11 is a nationwide competition. I'll take that to mean that he's a legit top 11 in the country over any recruiting guru. He said that he was coming to earn a scholarship...
And one of other QB commits is Copper Bateman and he did not make the Final 11 round and he is a concenus top 5 QB. I would agree he is totaly legit.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I don't know where you are getting info that he has to sit out. Much less, 2 years?? A walk-on is the same as any scholarship player, without getting money for college. He is not transferring.
If he was an invited walk-on, he will have to sit out 2 years or back count to this year's 25 limit and the 85 total limit. If he just told CNS he wants to walk-on, that's a different story.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

I have a feeling, probably gas, ;) but I think with AJ declaring he will return next season is what made up Luke's mind to walk on instead of taking a scholly elsewhere. He, as will all the other QB's, will have another year to compete and learn the system. So while he will be a year behind the QB's that were behind AJ this season he will have basically the same amount of game experience, minus the mop up time, that any other QB will have once AJ moves on.

In other words, he will have plenty of time to earn a scholly and win the job before anyone else gets entrenched as the QB following AJ's departure. Probably gas! ;) That does bode well for his confidence and the continuation of great QB play at Bama. :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

From everything I read on this guy, he has a higher ceiling and stronger arm than the two we have offers to.
His offers would certainly seem to indicate that. Also, he was included in the "Elite 11." Financing him for a year, or even two, is not going to dent his dad's wallet materially...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

The question of the hour now becomes.....How many thousands of times will Verne say, "Luke's Dad, of course, is the former NFL great player and coach Jack Del Rio" ? :)

narddogg81

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 18, 2012

From everything I read on this guy, he has a higher ceiling and stronger arm than the two we have offers to.

dont know about stronger arm. bateman has a canon for an arm. there are throws in his junior highlight film of him throwing it 70 yards in the air with no problem. The ginger kid looks like he has a wet noodle arm though. Im interested to see if del rio continues to grow in height. he is supposed to have a 6'7" wingspan, but is still only 6'2"

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

dont know about stronger arm. bateman has a canon for an arm. there are throws in his junior highlight film of him throwing it 70 yards in the air with no problem. The ginger kid looks like he has a wet noodle arm though. Im interested to see if del rio continues to grow in height. he is supposed to have a 6'7" wingspan, but is still only 6'2"
Bateman indeed has a rocket on his shoulder but I like this Del Rio kids attitude already

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

The question of the hour now becomes.....How many thousands of times will Verne say, "Luke's Dad, of course, is the former NFL great player and coach Jack Del Rio" ? :)
no, its about how many times Verne says Luke is the son of professional wrestler Alberto Del Rio.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I saw Bateman in some 7-on-7 tournaments and he does have a cannon. I compared it to Brodie's. Del Rio may end up being the best of the three but he does not have the strongest arm IMO.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

If he was an invited walk-on, he will have to sit out 2 years or back count to this year's 25 limit and the 85 total limit. If he just told CNS he wants to walk-on, that's a different story.
I'm sorry. I disagree, but that is ok. I've never heard of a person having to sit out 2 years because he is an invited walk-on. He won't be counted toward our 25 scholarship offers, but will still have to make the 85 limit cut. Most kickers and punters don't receive scholarships yet are eligible to play their freshmen years. Most of them are invited walk-ons.

I think Luke will surprise some people. We will be loaded at QB. I have a feeling we'll be seeing some Qb's transfer or decommit in the next few months/years. I like Parker, but he may start looking elsewhere.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

One thing for sure, this sets up an incredible competition for the next great Alabama qb. The rich just get richer!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I'm sorry. I disagree, but that is ok. I've never heard of a person having to sit out 2 years because he is an invited walk-on. He won't be counted toward our 25 scholarship offers, but will still have to make the 85 limit cut. Most kickers and punters don't receive scholarships yet are eligible to play their freshmen years. Most of them are invited walk-ons.

I think Luke will surprise some people. We will be loaded at QB. I have a feeling we'll be seeing some Qb's transfer or decommit in the next few months/years. I like Parker, but he may start looking elsewhere.
I think it's actually if he, as an invited walk-on, earns a scholarship within two years then he back counts against our 25 limit this year.
As far as having to sit....He can start at QB in the spring if he's good enough and take every snap next year.
He doesn't have to sit at all unless I'm completely in the dark about some unknown rule.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.