Link: We have TWO QBs in the Elite 11 and one is a walkon...?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Maybe the rules have changed, or maybe I just never accurately understood them in the first place.

Money clearly isn't an issue for the DelRio family, so the $30K or so for room board and OOS tuition isn't a problem. But I seem to remember somewhere that a player of this caliber counts against the 25 / 85 scholarship limits, even if he's paying his own way.

Can anybody out there set me straight?

brutetough

1st Team
Dec 11, 2010
I remember it works like: If we actively recruited him, he'll count toward 85. If it's been him initiating the contacts, he's part of the 105 but not 85.
Maybe the rules have changed, or maybe I just never accurately understood them in the first place.

Money clearly isn't an issue for the DelRio family, so the $30K or so for room board and OOS tuition isn't a problem. But I seem to remember somewhere that a player of this caliber counts against the 25 / 85 scholarship limits, even if he's paying his own way.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
3 quality QB's coming in with this class. I won't be surprised to see Del Rio on a scholly down the road. Incredible depth at this position.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

It's a weird rule. It seems to me that, if he plays in the first two years, he back-counts against both the 85 and the 25. That's as an invited walkon. I'll try to remember to look it up again...

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
Well here is the good news. if Del Rio is good enough to play next year, or even the next after that, given all of the quarterbacks we have coming back, I think we will all gladly give up one spot, eh? :)

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Well, regardless of how DelRio would count in the scholarship tally, you have to like the numbers...Between Ely, Morris, Bateman, McCleod and DelRio, the odds favor at least one breaking out.

If I had to place money on a post-AJ scenario, I'd project a care taking year by Morris or Ely, followed by a strong bid from DelRio or Bateman. Without knowing the strengths and weaknesses of either, it would stand to reason that a coach's son would have the edge in conforming to Saban's emphasis on decision-making and ball security.

BTW, it says volumes that an NFL head coach would send his son to Saban, never mind who's paying the tab.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.