Question: 2013 Running back Depth for Alabama

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
We all know that with Eddie and Ben Howell leaving, this create an unique lineup at the RB for next year. I wonder if we'll see what incoming freshmen can do next year, but most likely all will be reshirted? Any idea?

Returning players:TJ Yeldon, Kenyan Drake, Spencer Duncan, Jalston Fowler, Trey Roberts and Dee Hart
Gone:Ben Howell and Eddie Lacey ( most likely)

Freshmen: Altee Tenpenny, Tyren Jones, ArDarius Stewart, and Derrick Henry

My question is.. how do you think the depth at RB will play out with all those talented players?

Do we think Derrick Henry will get a chance to crack the rotation of RBs in the fall?

Will we seeArDarius switch to Safety, CB or something like that?

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
ArDarius Stewart seems like a DB/WR/PR/KR body type more than a tailback type.

TJ Yeldon, Jalston Fowler, Kenyon Drake seems like the regular rotation. Dee Hart may end up being mostly a special teams guy while at most 2 of those incoming Freshman will contribute if injuries don't plague the position.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I honestly think Eddie will be back but even if he goes running back depth isn't a problem. It's probably the least of our concerns.

Henry wouldn't have committed if he didn't think he'd be given a chance at running back.

Stewart will play defense.

I'm not familiar with Spencer Duncan and Trey Roberts. Are they related to Ben Howell? :)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I wouldn't mind Eddie coming back, Alasippi, but I get the feeling he is going to strike while the iron is hot because of his injury history. He won't be a first round back in all likelihood but you basically have to be a freak athlete to be a solid first round grade these days. The way we're recruiting the position would kinda indicate they expect some departures from the backfield...perhaps more than just Lacy. Obviously Yeldon and Drake are coming back along with Fowler, but Hart may be leaning towards a medical hardship?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I honestly think Eddie will be back but even if he goes running back depth isn't a problem. It's probably the least of our concerns.

Henry wouldn't have committed if he didn't think he'd be given a chance at running back.

I'm not familiar with Spencer Duncan and Trey Roberts. Are they related to Ben Howell? :)
He's said he's leaving...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
These days a 2nd round grade for ILBs and tailbacks isn't bad. Some ILBs like Hightower can solidify first round grades but a lot of good backs and LBs are falling to the 2nd round in this modern NFL climate.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
We all know that with Eddie and Ben Howell leaving, this create an unique lineup at the RB for next year. I wonder if we'll see what incoming freshmen can do next year, but most likely all will be reshirted? Any idea?

Returning players:Kenyan Drake, Spencer Duncan, Jalston Fowler, Trey Roberts and Dee Hart
Gone:Ben Howell and Eddie Lacey ( most likely)

Freshmen: Altee Tenpenny, Tyren Jones, ArDarius Stewart, and Derrick Henry

My question is.. how do you think the depth at RB will play out with all those talented players?

Do we think Derrick Henry will get a chance to crack the rotation of RBs in the fall?

Will we seeArDarius switch to Safety, CB or something like that?
What?, you don't think Brent Calloway will stay at RB?:wink:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Calloway will be a H-B barring injuries. Injuries happened this year and he became the back-end depth at tailback.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
No way that all 3 of our rb's coming in are all going to be redshirted. I think 1 for sure will see playing time and maybe 2

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I haven't heard anything about Dee Hart lending toward medical hardship?
I wouldn't mind Eddie coming back, Alasippi, but I get the feeling he is going to strike while the iron is hot because of his injury history. He won't be a first round back in all likelihood but you basically have to be a freak athlete to be a solid first round grade these days. The way we're recruiting the position would kinda indicate they expect some departures from the backfield...perhaps more than just Lacy. Obviously Yeldon and Drake are coming back along with Fowler, but Hart may be leaning towards a medical hardship?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We have so many backs coming in, I just get the feeling they are anticipating something more than Lacy. I could be wrong and I'm simply speculating.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
No way Lacey is coming back. his draft stock went like AAPL from the beginning of last year. I see TJ being the starter with the backup spot being a battle between Drake and Fowler..here is my guess on how they pan out

Yeldon
Fowler
Drake
Hart
Henry
Tenpenny
Jones

thats how i think it starts. by the first few games i expect one of the freshman to break into the top 3 and 4. i dont expect any of those RB's to be RS unless injured

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Stewart was quoted recently he will start at WR. Incredible with the ball in his hands.

Henry will be at RB and will be a great one before all is said and done.

The depth at RB is sick and the running game will continue to be our identity.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We have been recruiting Henry aggressively from the outset, so I don't Hart going down initiated some full-court press on him.

Look at what is probable depth chart:

Yeldon
Fowler
Drake
Hart
Tenpenny
Jones
Henry

One thing to consider is that Fowler may get plenty of true tailback snaps but I think it is very likely he may become a top option at H-B next season. We've gotten hardly anything from that position this season and his versatility as a pass catch option is huge. It may mean that a third back will get more significant regular action than we've seen in previous seasons because Fowler will be playing a good deal at fullback or h-back in base packages. Looking at the Michigan game - the only time we really got to see Fowler, Lacy, and Yeldon together - that seemed to be the case for this season before the injury.

I'm guessing one of the Freshman may have a shot at passing Drake, specifically Henry who has that leg-drive ability to pound out yards between the tackles. I get the feeling that Hart's opportunity as a tailback may have passed and he will be mainly a special teams guy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.