Phil Steele's Toughest Schedules

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
It is interesting. We always get penalized in these things because we never play Alabama. Agreed, also on Northern Illinois. I think the speed and power of that game is going to leave their heads spinning. Not meaning to disrespect them, they just aren't ready to take that step up in weight class. What is sad for fans is that N. Ill and several other teams could have swapped places to present more entertaining (and fair) football games. They'll get a lot of money, though.

Here is the litmus test, what would you pay for a thirty second advertising slot in the break between the third and fourth quarter of the Orange Bowl? Me, either.

Maverick2

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 28, 2012
About advertising, why is the NC game on a Monday night rather than prime time Saturday night? Talk about stupid, I know they have been doing it since the BCS started but it's just dumb.

CrimsonPaul

1st Team
Jun 12, 2006
Brandon, MS
A MS State guy at work used to say "We play a much tougher schedule than you". I responded..."Of course, you have to play Alabama, we don't".

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
It is interesting. We always get penalized in these things because we never play Alabama. Agreed, also on Northern Illinois. I think the speed and power of that game is going to leave their heads spinning. Not meaning to disrespect them, they just aren't ready to take that step up in weight class. What is sad for fans is that N. Ill and several other teams could have swapped places to present more entertaining (and fair) football games. They'll get a lot of money, though.

Here is the litmus test, what would you pay for a thirty second advertising slot in the break between the third and fourth quarter of the Orange Bowl? Me, either.
Problem is that the Bowl is going to be making money, not N. Ill. They're probably getting stuck with a fee for tickets they can't sell that will put them at a net loss for the bowl.

CrimsonMapper

1st Team
Apr 19, 2006
Montgomery, AL
About advertising, why is the NC game on a Monday night rather than prime time Saturday night? Talk about stupid, I know they have been doing it since the BCS started but it's just dumb.
I believe it has to do with the NFL commandeering that Saturday night for a playoff game.

Always been that way...
I think the Florida-OU and Alabama-Texas games were played on a Thursday. If I'm not mistaken, I believe next year's championship game will be played on a Tuesday.

Last edited:

Maverick2

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 28, 2012
I believe it has to do with the NFL commandeering that Saturday night for a playoff game.
I myself would rather watch a good college FB game on a Saturday night then any pro game, and I live within a 5 min drive from the new MET Life Stadium where the Jets & Giants play AND I am a season ticket holder to both....Who SUCK

Maverick2

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 28, 2012
That's some serious cash!

You don't even want to know want the PSL's cost me. I have 10 Giant Tickets (which I sell for face to people who are RABID Giant fans) and I have four Jet tickets. These I keep because my sons are Jet fans (poor b a s t a r d s!)

And IMO the new stadium SUCKS. There was NOTHING wrong with the "old" Giant Stadium.....All about PSL's and making money

CrimsonMapper

1st Team
Apr 19, 2006
Montgomery, AL
I myself would rather watch a good college FB game on a Saturday night then any pro game, and I live within a 5 min drive from the new MET Life Stadium where the Jets & Giants play AND I am a season ticket holder to both....Who SUCK
I agree with you. Unfortunately, most of the nation does not.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The LSU - Oklahoma game was on a Sunday night, and as been mentioned, the Bama-Texas game was on a Thursday.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Didn't we play LSU on Monday last year?
Yes, but it has not always been that way.

Here are the dates of the BCS title game from years past...

Monday, January 4, 1999
Tuesday, January 4, 2000
Wednesday, January 3, 2001
Thursday, January 3, 2002
Friday, January 3, 2003
Sunday, January 4, 2004
Tuesday, January 4, 2005
Wednesday, January 4, 2006
Monday, January 8, 2007
Monday, January 7, 2008
Thursday, January 8, 2009
Thursday, January 7, 2010
Monday, January 10, 2011
Monday, January 9, 2012

Last edited:
Yes, but it has not always been that way.

Here are the dates of the BCS title game from years past...

Monday, January 4, 1999
Tuesday, January 4, 2000
Wednesday, January 3, 2001
Thursday, January 3, 2002
Friday, January 3, 2003
Sunday, January 4, 2004
Tuesday, January 4, 2005
Wednesday, January 4, 2006
Monday, January 8, 2007
Monday, January 7, 2008
Thursday, January 8, 2009
Thursday, January 7, 2010
Monday, January 10, 2011
Monday, January 9, 2012
My bad, more times than not.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
One thing I've thought about Alabama and Notre Dame's schedules, yes, ND's is stronger BUT they really haven't played a great team since the end of October. From the last week of October through the SECCG, Alabama played a good team (MSU) and three great teams (LSU, TAMU, and UGA). Truly, Notre Dame's schedule ended up being a lot of teams around MSU's caliber or a little better then Stanford and Oklahoma. They only played one decent team between OU and the BCSCG, and they didn't even catch their best effort (no Barkley for Southern Cal).

I think the thought by some picking ND that they are more battle tested may not be exactly on point. Alabama got hardened over the final stretch while Notre Dame was mentally on cruise control heading into the Southern Cal game and almost got tripped up.

Maverick2

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 28, 2012
One thing I've thought about Alabama and Notre Dame's schedules, yes, ND's is stronger BUT they really haven't played a great team since the end of October. From the last week of October through the SECCG, Alabama played a good team (MSU) and three great teams (LSU, TAMU, and UGA). Truly, Notre Dame's schedule ended up being a lot of teams around MSU's caliber or a little better then Stanford and Oklahoma. They only played one decent team between OU and the BCSCG, and they didn't even catch their best effort (no Barkley for Southern Cal).

I think the thought by some picking ND that they are more battle tested may not be exactly on point. Alabama got hardened over the final stretch while Notre Dame was mentally on cruise control heading into the Southern Cal game and almost got tripped up.

I hear what you're saying about ND and who they played at the end of the year. I think that is all a wash now because both teams are off for so long until they play each other. To me, the long delay is a BIG advantage to Alabama because Saban knows what type of balance to strike to best prepare his team. This will be the fourth time he is doing it. The delay also gives your center and NG time to heal and be 100%.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I agree that the layoff kind of nullifies some things but Notre Dame hasn't had to play a perfect game since Oklahoma. I guess what I'm saying is that the layoff is a little more pronounced for Notre Dame. Alabama's last game was a tough game against a high-quality opponent.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.