1973 Sugar Bowl on ESPN Classic

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
The 1973 Sugar Bowl between Bama and ND in on ESPN Classic now.
Watching....still hoping Bama pulls it through in the end.:)

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I can't belive I missed this. Classic must have updated their listings. I didn't see it on the tv guide when I do my weekly searches.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I'd love to see that replay. I haven't seen it since the 1973. Someone please give a heads up if the game is re-aired. I remember one play where Alan Pizzatola (sp?) hit a ND player (seems like it was a tight end) so hard he almost knocked himself out. I really hope they air the game at a time where I can see it.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
I'd love to see the replay for very personal reasons. That's the only game Dad & I ever got to attend together, since he died about a year after that game, well before I came to UA as a student. Thus, despite the fact that the wrong team won, it remains one of my fave Bama games of all time, & always will.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In the game trading community, this one is quite popular because it is the first match-up between the two teams and a great game.

I have the FULL original broadcast. Picture is watchable but not great. I also have a b/w copy that was lifted from ABC Sports - has the numbers rotating on it.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
In the game trading community, this one is quite popular because it is the first match-up between the two teams and a great game.

I have the FULL original broadcast. Picture is watchable but not great. I also have a b/w copy that was lifted from ABC Sports - has the numbers rotating on it.

I understand that the actual broadcast tape of this game was missing from the ABC library for an extended period of time and that is why it has never been re-aired before until last night. Maybe some Notre Dame fan working at ABC borrowed it?

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
It was interesting watching and listening to Howard Cosell and Bud Wilkenson call the game. Much better than the constant chattering/know it alls or bumblers (Vern) we have these days. IMO :biggrin2:

I also couldn't help but notice Mike Dubose losing containment on so many plays and letting the ND QB Tom Clements make big plays because of it.

It was also cool watching the wishbone and ND's double wing offense.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Set your dvrs for January 4th! All times are eastern on Espn Classic
2 PM 1976 Bama at ND
4 PM 1986 ND at Bama (The Sack)
6 PM 1973 ND vs Bama (Sugar Bowl)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.