Greg McElroy named Jets starting QB for Sunday's game vs. Chargers

Getting Tebow from Denver was perhaps the dumbest moves of the season by the Jets. They had a marginal QB and bring in Tebow as a backup with all the hype he brought with him. Sanchez obviously has minimal confidence and the Jets dump Tebow behind him. Tebow is a great individual but an NFL QB he is not.

I'm wishing the best for G-Mac in his first start. The Chargers aren't playing well so hopefully Greg will get to settle down and have a good game.
Don't forget the fact that Tebow basically picked the Jets as his destination.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Tebow was supposed to provide a wildcat option for them this season. So his title as backup QB is a bit misleading.

I can't say exactly what their strategy was but I feel this was supposed to be his "role" anyway in the 3 QB dynamic.

FYI - I am very happy to hear he is leaving the Jets for next season.

Whether you are on board with his ability as a QB - he helped Denver get to the playoffs last year in what anyone would consider a challenging situation in that program. I would like to see him end up at a more conducive environment - a program where he can thrive.

In my humble opinion his potential was wasted this season, much like GMAC's has been.

Looking forward to Sunday's game!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Its great to see GMAC start, but it probably be his only two games he does start in his career. The Jets have and always will make dumb decisions based on marketing. For instance they got Tebow just because of the "amazing" story that was last year, but if you want to be brutatly honest it wasnt so amazing. Tebow was a horrible qb by NFL standards and the Broncoes only really needed basicly a qb that wasnt a total headcase to help out that defense. If the Steelers werent so banged up going into that playoff game The Tebow moment doesnt happen, and not to mention Tebow imploded both times he played Brady. The Jets made that choice for ticket sales. I guarentee they trade Sanchez to get Vick and Tebow to the Jags for an earlier draft pick. Gmac probably should request a trade to some team in dire need for a qb such as the Chiefs if he wants something close to a permenant job as a starter, or the Jets could decide to make a dumb decision with getting Vick and test out Gmac

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
Tebow was supposed to provide a wildcat option for them this season. So his title as backup QB is a bit misleading.

In my humble opinion his potential was wasted this season, much like GMAC's has been.

Looking forward to Sunday's game!
Its great to see GMAC start, but it probably be his only two games he does start in his career. The Jets have and always will make dumb decisions based on marketing. For instance they got Tebow just because of the "amazing" story that was last year, but if you want to be brutatly honest it wasnt so amazing.
The Jets made that choice for ticket sales. I guarentee they trade Sanchez to get Vick and Tebow to the Jags for an earlier draft pick. Gmac probably should request a trade to some team in dire need for a qb such as the Chiefs if he wants something close to a permenant job as a starter, or the Jets could decide to make a dumb decision with getting Vick and test out Gmac

Good points made in both of these posts...very poor decision making by the Jets. I've read in several places that Ryan never really wanted Tebow, that that was the owners decision, and possibly why Ryan was stubborn in not playing him more. True or not, I don't know.
The Jets have never utilized Tebow in the only way that he can help a team, and that is running the ball. He's never going to fit the mold of a typical pro qb and the Jets had to have known that that going in. Denver should have known but did eventually figure it out. Tebow is not like other running qbs like Vick and RGIII as he's much more limited in the passing game. He's a great athlete, but it will require a team building their offense around him for him be successful, imho. I'm not sure most will take that risk.

As for GMac, I think he'll do better than he's been given credit for. He's not the type of qb that's going to wow anyone with his prowess, but he's an efficient and smart qb, has a good enough arm to make most of the throws, but most of all he won't put his team in bad situations like Sanchez has. I'm a bit of Patriots fan and think that GMac could definitely play and do well in the style of offense they run which tends to focus on the short passing game and running the ball.
The Jets defense has played pretty well and given their team chances to win some games, and Sanchez & the offense would make a bone-headed play to reverse it. GMac along with Tebow should have been given the chance to turn things around a bit earlier and their season might look different right now.
Hopefully GMac can make the most of his chance & show the doubters what he's got...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Good points made in both of these posts...very poor decision making by the Jets. I've read in several places that Ryan never really wanted Tebow, that that was the owners decision, and possibly why Ryan was stubborn in not playing him more. True or not, I don't know.
The Jets have never utilized Tebow in the only way that he can help a team, and that is running the ball. He's never going to fit the mold of a typical pro qb and the Jets had to have known that that going in. Denver should have known but did eventually figure it out. Tebow is not like other running qbs like Vick and RGIII as he's much more limited in the passing game. He's a great athlete, but it will require a team building their offense around him for him be successful, imho. I'm not sure most will take that risk.

As for GMac, I think he'll do better than he's been given credit for. He's not the type of qb that's going to wow anyone with his prowess, but he's an efficient and smart qb, has a good enough arm to make most of the throws, but most of all he won't put his team in bad situations like Sanchez has. I'm a bit of Patriots fan and think that GMac could definitely play and do well in the style of offense they run which tends to focus on the short passing game and running the ball.
The Jets defense has played pretty well and given their team chances to win some games, and Sanchez & the offense would make a bone-headed play to reverse it. GMac along with Tebow should have been given the chance to turn things around a bit earlier and their season might look different right now.
Hopefully GMac can make the most of his chance & show the doubters what he's got...
There are two big problems the Jets face year in and year out..
1. Ny Giants stealing ticket sells. The overall success in the past 47 years clearly goes to the Giants, and the people always side with the most winningest team. The Jets face the same problem as the Mets in that they have to play keep up with the other team's ticket sales. They can do this in two ways... start winning or get PR from hot players. I'll leave you to decide what the Jets usually choose.
2. New England twice a year. The giant elephant in the room is the Brady Bunch without a shadow of a doubt. Brady is probably the best Qb in football and you have to treat him as such. Alot of teams have teams that can beat them but you do need to have a QB that isnt a head case that wont lose a game. The Giants are succesful against Brady because they slow him down and Eli makes cautious/aggressive decisions and also he can shake off 3 and outs and Interceptions. Sanchez was a head case the moment Brady spotted a weakness in the Jets defense and forced Sanchez to keep pace every game forward.
Gmac and Tebow probably should of made a 2 qb system against the Pats this year instead of relying on sanchez. would they have won... probably not, would they been shook by the pressure... absolutly not.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.