Good article on Maurice Clarett

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
http://deadspin.com/5967649/how-maurice-clarett-lost-his-way-bombed-out-of-the-nfl-planned-a-murder-missed-an-exit-and-found-himself-and-warren-buffett-in-prison?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Good to see him getting his life together. To bad it only took prison to do it. Pretty juicy stuff in the article.
I took golf, fishing, and softball as classes," Clarett says. "Away from class, anything you can think of I did in my 13 months at Ohio State." Drugs and women were two of the things. Cars were another—he owned three of them at a time, including a brand-new Cadillac and Lexus. "I was living the NFL life in college," he says. "I got paid more in college than I do now in the UFL."

Sagamore Bill

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Oklahoma
Also indicates the usual NCAA attitude toward THE ohio state university. Don't ask too many questions, don't look too closely, keep your ear closed...after all osu would never do anythhing wrong. Unless I am mistaken the previous coach at osu (the vest) wais banned from all contact with THE u for 5 years...yet he was honored at halftime this year & carried from the field. NCAA?

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
The NCAA's selective "hear no evil, see no evil" that they apply to certain schools didn't seem serve Clarett too well in the long run.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Everybody knew Ohio State was the dirtiest program in college football outside of USC. They made little effort to hide it and they got zero punishment for what was going on then. I'm not sure why they finally stepped in to shut down the money train. I guess it had just gotten to obvious and they felt they had to do something.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Everybody knew Ohio State was the dirtiest program in college football outside of USC. They made little effort to hide it and they got zero punishment for what was going on then. I'm not sure why they finally stepped in to shut down the money train. I guess it had just gotten to obvious and they felt they had to do something.
Stepped in to stop the "money train"? We were busted because players were selling/trading their own stuff, which was/is against NCAA rules. We were not busted for paying players - that was not even a suggestion in the investigation. Tressel was busted for trying to cover it up.

Not making excuses - we broke the rules and have to accept the punishment - but we were not busted for paying players. Whether or not the NCAA should have this kind of power is another story. I hate the NCAA, so am biased, but I'd like to see the entire organization disbanded.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Stepped in to stop the "money train"? We were busted because players were selling/trading their own stuff, which was/is against NCAA rules. We were not busted for paying players - that was not even a suggestion in the investigation. Tressel was busted for trying to cover it up.

Not making excuses - we broke the rules and have to accept the punishment - but we were not busted for paying players. Whether or not the NCAA should have this kind of power is another story. I hate the NCAA, so am biased, but I'd like to see the entire organization disbanded.
Y'all be cheatin. And you got the perfect guy to continue it. Unless he has a heart palpitation after a loss to Brady Hoke.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

I hesitated posting this, with you in mind. And you are right, CJT was never linked to any ' play for pay' violations. that doesn't mean it did not happen. I am not naive enough to think nothing has ever happened at the U of A. Clarett got money from some where as evidenced by his new cars.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I have to say this. The NCAA will go after the Big 10 and Pac-12 schools, but they employ a three strikes and you are out policy. There was a lot going on at Ohio State before they finally hit them (not all that hard mind you) for the whole improper benefits thing. There were a few incidents that popped up and it was obvious was had been going on. Ohio State managed to suspend the players, or kick them off the team and it was like it never happened. Alabama suspended players for the textbook thing, and still got hit pretty hard over textbooks! There was a clear double standard.

USC was dirty, everyone knew they were dirty. It has been going on for a while with plenty of evidence. Finally, after incident after incident the NCAA decided to hit them. It's upsetting to us Alabama fans because we know any issue, anything, textbooks, a payer being paid for without his knowing or Alabama being involved, any of that is enough to trow Alabama under the bus. It annoys us to see how much other schools can get away with, especially the two conferences that stood up for their beloved NCAA and in doing so seemed to have been favored.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I hesitated posting this, with you in mind. And you are right, CJT was never linked to any ' play for pay' violations. that doesn't mean it did not happen. I am not naive enough to think nothing has ever happened at the U of A. Clarett got money from some where as evidenced by his new cars.
I don't doubt that Clarett got money from boosters, just as I don't doubt that just about every great player at the big schools always have. My point was only about what we got busted for. If the NCAA shut down every school that had boosters "helping" players, we would all be left watching FCS football.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have to say this. The NCAA will go after the Big 10 and Pac-12 schools, but they employ a three strikes and you are out policy. There was a lot going on at Ohio State before they finally hit them (not all that hard mind you) for the whole improper benefits thing. There were a few incidents that popped up and it was obvious was had been going on. Ohio State managed to suspend the players, or kick them off the team and it was like it never happened. Alabama suspended players for the textbook thing, and still got hit pretty hard over textbooks! There was a clear double standard.

USC was dirty, everyone knew they were dirty. It has been going on for a while with plenty of evidence. Finally, after incident after incident the NCAA decided to hit them. It's upsetting to us Alabama fans because we know any issue, anything, textbooks, a payer being paid for without his knowing or Alabama being involved, any of that is enough to trow Alabama under the bus. It annoys us to see how much other schools can get away with, especially the two conferences that stood up for their beloved NCAA and in doing so seemed to have been favored.
I'll say this - Alabama was not given anything resembling "due process" during the 12-15 years that the NCAA came after you. They did things that would not hold up in court. That is one of the reasons that I want them shut down. The idea that they freely admit to the use of "secret" witnesses is disgusting. How can anyone believe in an organization that punishes schools based on information given by unidentified witnesses? How can we even be sure that these "witnesses" really exist? With a policy like this, they can simply "manufacture" testimony to ensure their desired outcome - testimony delivered by fictitious "secret" witnesses.

But this is a reason to hate the NCAA - not to be angry with other schools who are also subject to their whims.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I don't doubt that Clarett got money from boosters, just as I don't doubt that just about every great player at the big schools always have. My point was only about what we got busted for. If the NCAA shut down every school that had boosters "helping" players, we would all be left watching FCS football.
That's easy enough to say, but the NCAA tried to bury Alabama over the Albert Means thing. Each time we hear about money changing hands for a player to come to a team, we get a bit worked up.
But this is a reason to hate the NCAA - not to be angry with other schools who are also subject to their whims.
The problem is we learned the rules, we learned how the NCAA did things and then watched them not do those things. I think we can all agree that if you apply the Albert Means approach to Maurice, or Cam, all three schools get hammered. I understand your point about the NCAA being unfair, and I am mad at the NCAA about it to but there's also another element here. It's why should we have to watch competitors do things, and benefit from those things, while Alabama struggled for years? Why is Alabama the one walking the tightrope?

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That's easy enough to say, but the NCAA tried to bury Alabama over the Albert Means thing. Each time we hear about money changing hands for a player to come to a team, we get a bit worked up.
I understand.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
..... and still they laud Jim Tressel at the OSU.
Some will always love him - he won a championship here, and came close a few other times (and he beat the tar out of Michigan). Some feel betrayed and will never forgive him. Some, like me, are simply disappointed. When it was time for him to make a hard decision, he put his players and a few wins in front of the integrity of the program. He had a chance to do the right thing and didn't. But I never made the mistake of putting him on a pedestal. He is, after all, just human - with strengths and weaknesses of which we know next to nothing.

CapitalTider

All-American
Jun 8, 2004
Vienna, VA
The thing I found fascinating was that when Clarret first made these accusations (right after he got kicked out of OSU), a story was published by ESPN about similar occurrences at Youngstown State when Tressel coached there. Of course the violations surfaced after The Vest had left for OSU, but the stories were disturbingly similar. Of course no one was able to add 2+2, so it took what 10 years for The Vest to finally get caught.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Sigh

Jim Tressel did not get caught paying players anywhere, ever.

Really, I thought that Tidefans was above this sort of thing - just make stuff up that align with your point of view, or listen to the folks saying bad things that align with your point of view? Remember all of the things that were said about Alabama over the last 20 years? I would think that you would have learned.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.