Question: Who is America's favorite college Team.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I'm hocked that a board called Tidefans would think the Alabame brand is on top. Look how many posters here still say ND! No surprise here. Notre Dame is a national school. Ask the same question on Penn St or USC boards and you'll get 10 ND's to every Bama.
LOL

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I'm hocked that a board called Tidefans would think the Alabame brand is on top. Look how many posters here still say ND! No surprise here. Notre Dame is a national school. Ask the same question on Penn St or USC boards and you'll get 10 ND's to every Bama.
Ok.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Nationally it's ND. West coast USC, Midwest Ohio State, up North Michigan, Texas Texas, down south Alabama.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I doubt there's any kind of real answer to this question. On a side note since others have mentioned places outside of Alabama where they have encountered Bama fans.....I was stationed in Germany from 1990-1993 and met many Germans who vacationed in Alabama and were Alabama fans. During the 60s & 70s many Germans were familiar with and had access to AFN which typically aired one game per week. Often, that game was an Alabama game. I went to a bar called the "Alabama", bought a lot of gear in local shops, and met many Germans once I returned home because I could pick out their accent when I heard it and I would ask where they were from.

I don't know about nationally.....But I'd say we're definitely top #3 on a global list of favorite college teams.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
I prefer to be the most hated team in college football cause nothing brings out the hate like winning over and over and over ....

dulac72

Nov 30, 2012
Only one school has it's own national TV package. When they aren't there (meaning playing at home) they are immediately picked up by CBS or ESPN. I would like to know how far back would you have to go find out when an ND football game was not telivised!
No other team has as many fans AND haters...thats why ND is #1

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
As far as a national fans base - that's not what Alabama has ever been. I don't think that's what we want to be either. The national media (ESPN, etc.) has never apreciated a "podunk" school stealing the market form the "bigger, better," more marketable schools.
1. Notre Dame
2. Texas
3. USCw
4. Michigan
So you say Alabama is a "Podunk School"???

Not a way to build trust with only 4 posts. Sounds Barnerish at best!

Bama may not be "bigger" than some of the schools you mention, but you really think we are not as "marketable" as those schools???

I think CBS and ESPN might disagree with you.

Also, I've read that when Bama went to the Rose Bowl in the 1920's and won that Bama won alot of respect nationally and since then the traditional success of Bama as done nothing to hurt our national reputation! When people hear "Bama" they think "winner" and people respect winners.

dulac72

Nov 30, 2012
Found the answer to my own question...according to Wiki, ND set a record by having 169 consecutive games telecast NATIONALLY. The 2006 game at Air Force was on CSTV a branch of CBS that had an exclusive deal with the Mountain West. Since then ND has only hosted Mt West teams so as to have all their games televised NATIONALLY. Oh, ND is the only school to have their own NATIONAL radio network also

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I have always thought we were the team to beat.
We have never been America's favorite.
Fans and writers have all pulled against us since the days of Coach Bryant.
We are victims of our own success.

We are the team folks love to hate.
Jealousy and envy of our History, Present, and Future, prevent lots of people from pulling for us.

We are generally loved by the 'Bookies'... We make them lots of money.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
So you say Alabama is a "Podunk School"???

Not a way to build trust with only 4 posts. Sounds Barnerish at best!

Bama may not be "bigger" than some of the schools you mention, but you really think we are not as "marketable" as those schools???

I don't think McGowin was saying Alabama is a podunk school. I think he was saying that some media outlets may have viewed us that way in the past. I think this was probably true from the 20s up through the pre-cable TV days. Our state, and the south in general, had a poor social reputation and I think it led to some northern/western media bias against us. That's why those Rose Bowl victories meant so much to the south as a whole and why it was so embarrassing for our opponents. So much so that the Rose Bowl stopped inviting us and almost no one wants to give us credit for titles earned in the 20s winning those Rose Bowl games.

It's only been in the last several years with the advent of ESPN style 24 hour coverage of everything and the internet that we've seen the SEC move to the front of the college football world. The rest of the nation doesn't root against us just because they're sick of seeing Alabama/the SEC win.....part of it is decades worth of the thought that "I don't want to lose to a bunch of inbred hicks"......

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I understand the "southern" bias, and no doubt you are right about the way others have historically viewed the south.

But as a brand, Bama football is upper echelon no doubt.

I'm not arguing Bama is the most popular school in the nation, but that we are a more national brand than most others because of our winning tradition.

Apologies to McGowin if I offended you.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.