Link: Is Alabama currently a dynasty?

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Interesting article by Ivan Masell of ESPN. His point is that for Alabama to be considered a modern day dynasty we need to win one more championship. What do you think? Do you agree with him, or do you think we are in a dynasty no matter the outcome of January 7th? Personally, I feel like another championship would only be the icing on the cake. With all of the high profile recruits Saban is bringing in, the 10 win seasons, and winning 2 championships out of 3, I feel like we are already a dynasty. Here's the link, and I look forward to seeing your thoughts as well.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ma-officially-become-dynasty-college-football

(I hadn't seen this article posted here yet, so I thought I would bring it up. Please delete if it's already been discussed.)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Well, it's all subjective.

To me, it would take winning this one. That would make it 3 out of 4, and two in the row. First time that has happened since Nebraska (1994, 1995, 1997).

Do you think of Florida under Meyer as a dynasty (2006, 2008)? I don't. If they would have won it in 2009 I would.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think we're closer to a dynasty than any other exceptional run by a team in the BCS era. There was a 3 year gap between LSU titles, USC won the AP then BCS in 03-04 but they only played in the title game twice with one loss between 03-05, and Florida is the closest of the bunch in my opinion.

Truly, to be a dynasty you have to win consecutive championships or win so many over a time period the dominance is not questioned. That is why have to think the 06-09 Florida and 08-present Alabama fall short. Two titles in three years is almost there but 3 in 4 or 5 years is unquestionably dominant.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
IMHO, we need to win this one. And THEN to put the icing on the cake, win number 16 next year.
That will take one heck of a team. If there are two other unbeaten major teams at the end of next season, Bama would have to be undefeated and unscored on to go to the NCG. The pollsters will not allow Bama to win 3 straight.

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD
I suppose we do need to win either the 2012 BCSNC game or the 2013 BCSNC game, or both, in order for the rest of the college football world to recognize us as a current-day dynasty similar to Oklahoma of the 50's or Nebraska of the 90's ; however, to me, there is an even bigger prize at stake in the 1/7/13 game and that is the opportunity to put an official stamp on Alabama being the greatest football program of all time.

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010
I would have to say YES - and if we win on January 7 it's not even arguable.

If you look at Saban's run starting in '08, the program has been dominant to a degree many thought impossible in the modern era. We're now going for 3 out of the last 4 titles, and it's almost 4 out of 5. (The '08 team was one quarter away from playing in the BCS Championship -- anyone really think Saban would've lost to Oklahoma with a month to gameplan?)

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
Well, it's all subjective.

To me, it would take winning this one. That would make it 3 out of 4, and two in the row. First time that has happened since Nebraska (1994, 1995, 1997).

Do you think of Florida under Meyer as a dynasty (2006, 2008)? I don't. If they would have won it in 2009 I would.
To join what the College Football Hall of Fame recognizes as 12 Dynasties I think we need to win on 7 January 2013.
see list of Dynasties at this link http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011000aab.html

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
no team has won 2 consecutive titles in the BCS era.
winning back to back BCSNCG would also add another perception to a dynasty.

the excerpt below is worth reading. if Bama were to win its 3rd in 4 years, impressive is an understatement in the modern era.

"It is no accident that only one program has built a dynasty in the past 20 years. With no disrespect meant to any team on the list, dynasty came more easily when Notre Dame played a nine-game season in the 1940s, or Alabama played a 10-game season in the 1960s, or even when the Crimson Tide and Miami played an 11-game seasons in the 1970s and 80s. In recent years, national champions regularly play 14 games."

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If we win this year then yes we are and its not debatable, if we don't win this year I still think we are but its debatable....

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I actually think we need to win this one AND the next as the detractors will say that Saban had one gargantuan recruiting year (2008) and that is that. If we win next year, especially with a relatively young D, then a dynasty it is.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Yes this is a dynasty still in progress. We have been the it team going on 4 years playing in 3 BCS championships, 2 conference, 2 or 3 national championships. Last years at times we were the best team that I have ever seen watching college ball, period. The LSU game put us in a fishbowl. 8/10 at a neutral site we win the game. That will always hurt because the 2011 team was a terror.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I actually think we need to win this one AND the next as the detractors will say that Saban had one gargantuan recruiting year (2008) and that is that. If we win next year, especially with a relatively young D, then a dynasty it is.
I don't think that will be a huge issue. Everyone, no matter how they feel about Saban, will acknowledge that he's one of the best recruiters in the business. The proof of that is every year under him we've had top 5 recruiting classes with the exception of one that still was in top 10. I think the term dynasty is subjective, and it's debatable whether or not we can claim we are in the midst of one right now, I don't think anyone in their right mind is going to claim that it's because we got "lucky" with one class.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.