Thursday Practice Report

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Here's Christopher Walsh's practice report from BOL. It is on the free part of the site.

Link

Possibly a new defensive formation for the game?

In an interesting change, reporters got to see a passing drill that had used an inside linebacker, Nico Johnson, where the sixth defensive back usually lines up. The second unit had safety Vinnie Sunseri at the same spot.

NDinNYC

Suspended
Dec 26, 2012
Interesting. Wonder if that formation is in response to ND's potential use of multiple TEs in passing situations (Eifert being the most obvious threat but Troy Niklas may have an increased role in this game as well).

Far as Ragland playing the role of Te'o..... I know the kid's got all the physical talent in the world so I understand why Saban would do that, but, even if you believe the two are equivalent physically, many think Te'o's biggest strengths are his instincts, understanding of the game and ability to set the rest of the ND defense both schematically and in terms of alignment. Not sure Ragland is handling those duties.... :wink:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Interesting. Wonder if that formation is in response to ND's potential use of multiple TEs in passing situations (Eifert being the most obvious threat but Troy Niklas may have an increased role in this game as well).

Far as Ragland playing the role of Te'o..... I know the kid's got all the physical talent in the world so I understand why Saban would do that, but, even if you believe the two are equivalent physically, many think Te'o's biggest strengths are his instincts, understanding of the game and ability to set the rest of the ND defense both schematically and in terms of alignment. Not sure Ragland is handling those duties.... :wink:
With scout teams, you like to get the best talent that can emulate their best players to at least get the starters up to speed. Ragland is the best ILB who is unlikely to start or rotate into the game, so they have him as Te'o because he's the better option than a walk-on. Obviously you can't emulate 4 years of experience and instincts.

NDinNYC

Suspended
Dec 26, 2012
With scout teams, you like to get the best talent that can emulate their best players to at least get the starters up to speed. Ragland is the best ILB who is unlikely to start or rotate into the game, so they have him as Te'o because he's the better option than a walk-on. Obviously you can't emulate 4 years of experience and instincts.
I hear you and you're of course correct. Just poking a little stick in the ribs, my friend.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
Interesting. Wonder if that formation is in response to ND's potential use of multiple TEs".....

....." Te'o's biggest strengths are his instincts, understanding of the game and ability to set the rest of the ND defense both schematically and in terms of alignment. Not sure Ragland is handling those duties.... :wink:
That grouping makes the nickle and dime look the same pre-snap to the QB.

Coaches standing next to them on the field do all of that at every football practice I've ever seen from peanuts to pros..

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
An often unheralded benefit of recruiting is that true freshmen with a lot of talent are often relegated to scout team duty during the week. Scout teams are usually just running things so the starters can get familiar with the looks the staff is keying on...but having superior talent running the plays makes for better recognition by the starters. Ragland may not have recognition skills like Te'o but he can probably do exactly what he's told by the staff to emulate Te'o's tendencies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.