Brian Kelly post practice (12/29)

Status
Not open for further replies.

athlete37

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2012
You seriously consider completion percentage to be a "weak" stat? Respectfully, if McCarron's stats and Golson's stats were reversed, you would be using them to prove your case. Since Golson comes up so woefully short, you discard stats, citing "situational variables". :rolleyes:

Tell me, has anyone bought this line of thinking on the ND boards?
Tommy Rees has the highest completion percentage in the history of Notre Dame football, so we don't really put much weight into that stat. I think the stronger argument is McCarron's ability to lead and win. He has a National Championship under his belt and has taken a reloaded team back to the NCG.

In regards to Kelly, one of the first things he said about trying to prepare for the game was requesting a new opponent. I think he has a lot of respect for the Tide and knows the daunting challenge ahead.

CrimsonTide13

Suspended
Aug 12, 2011
Huntsville, AL
LOL, completion percentage is a rather weak stat for a QB? Golson has made more clutch throws than McCarron but has less than half the # of TD's. Come on man...
Clutch throws. Interesting. Alabama didn't have many close games - that's why AJ doesn't have many clutch throws. ND practically played every game to the wire against weak competitors. You think Golson could have drove down the field against LSU in Baton Rouge and won the game solely with his arm?

cooleddie

1st Team
Jul 27, 2003
pensacola,fl
His effectiveness has improved greatly with experience. % of completions is a rather weak stat in any event because of the situational variables it doesn't account for. Golson has made more clutch throws than McCarron has this year.

You didn't read my post clearly if you inferred I was comparing Golson to Manziel in terms of their respective abilities. I didn't say he was better than Manziel (I didn't say he wasn't better either). I said he was more like Manziel than any QB you faced this year. This is a true statement. I was speaking about his running ability and his elusiveness for the most part.
I appreciate your confidence in your QB and will take you up on the offer not to trade. :wink: Although I have not watched every clutch throw made by Golson this season, I did see the clutch throws made by McCarron in the 2011 BCS National Championship game, the LSU game this year and the throws made against Georgia in the SEC championship game. I will put my stock in those.

Also, the Bama defense did face another highly regarded running QB in Denard Robinson and did fairly well against him. After the 1st Qtr Manziel onslaught, the defense adjusted and held him in check for the most part. As a Bama fan, I can certainly say that I feel much better about facing a running Golson now after being somewhat embarrassed by Manziel at home. I'm pretty sure that the coaches & players are putting forth extra time and effort to ensure that does not happen again. Well shall see on January 7th!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Golson is a true freshman with no championship experience going up against a team whose seniors have won two national titles.

He is also going to be matching wits with Coach Saban, who, at Bama has coached bowl games and championship games and has not only soundly defeated but completely dumb founded Quarterbacks like Tim Tebow and Kirk Cousins.

I like Golson and respect Notre Dame but they have faced no team this season like they're running into next Monday....not even close.

sip

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
His effectiveness has improved greatly with experience. % of completions is a rather weak stat in any event because of the situational variables it doesn't account for. Golson has made more clutch throws than McCarron has this year.

You didn't read my post clearly if you inferred I was comparing Golson to Manziel in terms of their respective abilities. I didn't say he was better than Manziel (I didn't say he wasn't better either). I said he was more like Manziel than any QB you faced this year. This is a true statement. I was speaking about his running ability and his elusiveness for the most part.
You are obviously what we think of as a "blind homer," neither stats nor any national opinion means anything to you. We have a long-established rule against "ignorant sparring." Think about it as beating a dead horse, if that makes more sense. Anyway, you need to drop the subject entirely and we'll see if you can get back to to discussing the game/personnel on some sort of objective, rational basis. If you can't, you need to leave, or I'll assist you...

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
Sorry, I didn't mean the "ruin" comment to be smack; more an expression of confidence.

As to the QB's: I have watched both QB's as well. I've probably watched Golson more than you and you have no doubt watched McCarron more than me. I assume there is no argument concerning their respective leg speed/elusiveness. We'll just have to disagree about arm strength. I don't think the "efficiency" says much: your run-based offensive scheme doesn't rely on your QB the way our offense does. Also, Golson's stats are distorted by his "learning curve" during the first half of the season. Golson is more like Manziel than any other QB you have faced this year. I'm very comfortable in my opinion of him versus your guy. I wouldn't trade QB's with you.
A.J. McCarron 191-286 2,669 yards 26-3 TD-INT ratio
Everett Golson 166-282 2,135 yards 11-5 TD-INT ratio

Tell me again where you see Golson being more efficient?

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
I disagree with the assertion in bold above. I am sure every 'Bama fan would have said McCarron was better than Manziel before the TAMU game as well. McCarron may make few mistakes but no way does he have the arm or legs that Golson does. McCarron was better than the Everett Golson of the first five games this year. Golson is better than McCarron now. I honestly believe that will be demonstrated on Jan 7. More than any other ND player, I think Golson is going to be your ruin.
Wow!!!! :eek:

I mean no disrespect, but you can't say that with a straight face.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Wow!!!! :eek:

I mean no disrespect, but you can't say that with a straight face.
Well, yes he can and did and that's why I labeled him a "blind homer." However, this is a dead end. He is a true believer and it's become a matter more of faith than anything else. Basically, there's nothing further to discuss here, so I'll close this one down and we'll try to see if we can get more meaningful dialogs going on other subjects...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.