I Believe Alabama Needs a New AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
no reason The University of Alabama can't/shouldn't have the premier athletic department in the entire SEC. Yes, football is king, but why not strive to be the best at everything?
Because you can't be the best at everything. Name a program that was ever the best at everything. There never has been. I'm all for trying to improve all the facilities and other sports program, but I feel like the state of Alabama athletics is pretty high right now. I think we are spoiled because of how good our football program is.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
no reason The University of Alabama can't/shouldn't have the premier athletic department in the entire SEC. Yes, football is king, but why not strive to be the best at everything?
Not calling you out, but what shows we aren't striving to be the best? Funds aren't unlimited, so what would YOU do differently.

It's really easy to call people out for 'bad performance' while not offering better solutions. I ask again - for those wanting to replace CMM, who would you hire? There's no magic AD tree you go to and pull the perfect answer...

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I would wager I have attended more Basketball Games than AD Moore in the last 20 years, and I actually have to pay to get in
Totally agree. I have not seen him at a single game this year. As far as attendance, Our attendance is by far the best in the state. there was over 13,000 there tonight after a mediocre season to date.

As far as the other sports,
Softball- Mal essentially let our NC winning coach leave without so much as a counteroffer. He would have never left if Mal had shown an interest in keeping him.
Gymnastic- Coach Bryant hired Coach Patterson
Golf- We were lucky to get these guys. The assistant AD lured them is what I was told.

There is no reason we can't be competitive in every sport we participate in, but the AD doesn't give a rat's butt about anything but football.

Mall did lure Saban, but lets face facts, he even screwed the pooch on the previous hires in football. One hire doesn't make him a great AD. He keeps his job because he can smooze the bog donors and raise money effectively.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Because you can't be the best at everything. Name a program that was ever the best at everything. There never has been. I'm all for trying to improve all the facilities and other sports program, but I feel like the state of Alabama athletics is pretty high right now. I think we are spoiled because of how good our football program is.
I disagree. I don't feel other programs have to suffer in order to have a good football program. Nobody is saying we WILL be the best at everything, but I don't feel CMM puts much thought into the other athletic programs.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Not calling you out, but what shows we aren't striving to be the best? Funds aren't unlimited, so what would YOU do differently.

It's really easy to call people out for 'bad performance' while not offering better solutions. I ask again - for those wanting to replace CMM, who would you hire? There's no magic AD tree you go to and pull the perfect answer...
That's what I'm saying. You have to pick your battles. You can't be the best at everything. And I would also like to hear specifics about what CMM should do differently.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Please tell me that you are joking and not serious!

I believe that Coach Moore has given AG virtually everything that he has asked for and is VERY supportive of our basketball program. To suggest otherwise simply shows ignorance and/ or someone that has not walked around Coleman Coliseum recently. I have been told reputably that CMM has often asked AG, is there anything else you need? What can I do for you? Rest assured he is fully committed to doing whatever it takes to achieve success in BB--and he has backed it up with the checkbook. I believe that the premise of this whole thread is based on a disgruntled basketball fan's cheap attempt to deflect blame for the very poor showing by the BB team recently away from our players, coaches, and some unfortunate injuries. We've had three embarrassing losses in the last two wks-- I believe all at home. Ultimately it is up to AG to put a better product on the court, and I think he is being given ALL of the tools and resources necessary to do that, including time that it takes to build a program. Barring a total disaster, I still think he will get at least a couple more years. That to me seems more than reasonable. What else do you expect?

I think that CMM is doing a great job and that we are fortunate to still have him for hopefully a few more years.

Last edited:

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011

"What shows we are not striving to be the best?"

Maybe the Overall results compared to the rest of the SEC?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I have advocated for some time (2009) that Coach Moore retire as AD, and stay on at The University as "AD and Fund Raiser Emeritus" at his current level of compensation.

There are many great things about Coach Moore, but I believe The University could benefit from hiring a a younger, more progressive AD who could also handle the daily duties
I repeat:

What, specifically, is wrong with the overall Athletic Department?

Who, specifically (give us a name), do you believe would be better?

Why do you think your new guy (or girl) would solve the identified problem?

Without answers to these perfectly reasonable questions, I'm going to write this off as a toe-stamping hissy fit.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
I understand where the OP is coming from. Basketball is pretty bad, as is baseball.

I'm a former track athlete for UA and I'm very unhappy with the direction the program has taken. When the previous coach retired they combined the men's and women's teams (which I understand) but cleaned house with the coaching staff. Joe Walker, the assistant coach and head XC coach, was passed over and now he's at Louisville. The XC program is absolutely pathetic. They went from perennial top 10 program to not even making the national meet. They went from winning the SEC title (which is something nobody besides Arkansas had done for many, many years) to not even finishing in the top 10. Pathetic.

That said, having a great football program and winning national titles in other, non-revenue sports is great. Coach Moore is probably going to have to find a new basketball coach in the next 18 months and that's no good. But it happens. What other program would you trade for Bama's right now?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Maybe the Overall results compared to the rest of the SEC?
I honestly don't know, so I'm asking with no objective - when was the last time an SEC school won four national championships in one year like we did last year? I ask because we got press about it, as if it were unusual.

Not sure what you want - we're spending more money than anyone else in the SEC as far as I can tell, have great coaches, great facilities - what do you want?

Genuine question...

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
That's what I'm saying. You have to pick your battles. You can't be the best at everything. And I would also like to hear specifics about what CMM should do differently.
Within a 100 mile radius of Coleman there are several million people - Should The University not be able to get at least 10-12,000 fans in for a Holiday game?

I am a former D-1 Basketball player, and played beyond that. If I took a trip to Coleman today as a recruit, I would have been completely dismayed by the fan support I saw.

And in this thread, no one yet has mentioned the detrimental effect Tide Totals has had on Programs other than Football

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
Within a 100 mile radius of Coleman there are several million people - Should The University not be able to get at least 10-12,000 fans in for a Holiday game?

I am a former D-1 Basketball player, and played beyond that. If I took a trip to Coleman today as a recruit, I would have been completely dismayed by the fan support I saw.

And in this thread, no one yet has mentioned the detrimental effect Tide Totals has had on Programs other than Football
I'm confused. What does this have to do with the post you quoted? What does Mal Moore have to do with fans not attending the games?

CrimsonTide13

Suspended
Aug 12, 2011
Huntsville, AL

There were 13,000+ fans there tonight...

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Some interesting differences in opinion here. No one ever said that Mal Moore can be Jeremy Foley. (Florida). The reality is that Mal Moore has very little to do with any of the other successes at Alabama. I am talking about softball, gymnastics and golf. Casual fans seem to want to credit him for those championships- they should not. Hiring Wendell Hudson to coach women basketball was almost laughable- could not believe it when it happenned. The baseball program has gone from one of the nation's best to the bottom third of the conference- with no signs of getting better. The incredible success that the football team enjoys provides an unbelievable amount of money for the other sports. The Board of Trustee's are making a great deal of these decisons- and most of them simply do not care about the other sports. Bama needs a younger and more agressive AD to put some pressure on the PTB to make some changes- Mal will not do that as long as the football team get's everything that they want. This is a university with an all-time high enrollment of over 30,000. There is plenty of money in Tuscaloosa to be successful at many sports. Swimming, Volleyball and Track and Field are really not even competitive.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN

my earlier post:

Coach Moore signed off on the CAG hire; he did NOT do the legwork.

Coach Murphy did his own fund raising for the softball stadium.

Our baseball team has the WORST facilities in the SEC...

Our women's bball....don't even go there

Coach Moore gets to hang his hat in the Saban hire, and he lucked out on that when RichRod pulled his stunt.
Again, all credit for eventually nabbing Coach Saban. But I honestly don't feel that CMM puts as much thought into the other athletic programs as he does football. Could be lack of knowledge/understanding, but whatever it is, it seems to me that he seems content to ride the Saban hire.

In his defense, Coleman has been upgraded, and he did sign off on the CAG hire that Dave Hart did the leg work on. The men's team has suffered some injuries and is having a bad season. But in following the bball program and some of the threads on the bball board, you'll see some questions about CAG's recruiting, demeanor, in-game coaching, etc. I don't have an answer for that, so bad job by me.

I'm just looking at results, and some of our programs that used to have some cache, have little to none anymore.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

According to ESPN there was 12,445 fans at the game. Sounds like a good crowd to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.