Will ND go the hurry up offense route?

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I don't know if this has been hashed out previously but seeing that Bama had trouble in the 1st qtr with TAMU and the hurry up offense, am I the only one thinking that ND will use that strategy being that Golson supposedly is comfortable in the hurry up? Sorry if this has already been posted and discussed.

bfg3rd

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 13, 2005
I think they have gone no huddle at times during the year, and I fully expect them to at least attempt it at some point during the championship game. However, it doesn't concern me nearly as much as A&M did, given the time we have to prepare. I guarantee you that if we are discussing the possibility here, it is most definitely being discussed on the practice field as well.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
It wasn't the hurry up that gave us problems, it was the heisman trophy winner...
How many QB's would fumble the ball while in the pocket, capture it in mid-air and complete the play with a TD pass? I know Manziel is a freshman, but he had the game of his college career against us.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
A better question might be will we do some 'NO HUDDLE' for ND? (I don't think we will come out in the 'ND BOX' thou...)

Last edited:

Irish Jacky

Dec 27, 2012
Coach Kelly said in his press conference today that he expects ND to go no-huddle at some point(s) in the game. I got the impression that he is not planning on going with it from the first snap but that he plans to introduce it when he thinks the situation is right.

athlete37

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2012
Coach Kelly said in his press conference today that he expects ND to go no-huddle at some point(s) in the game. I got the impression that he is not planning on going with it from the first snap but that he plans to introduce it when he thinks the situation is right.
This. I think the idea with mixing in no-huddle against Alabama is to offset the advantage that the Tide has in depth over just about every team in America. The no-huddle doesn't allow you to bring in new defensive lineman. We are pretty thin on the O-Line right now, so it wouldn't shock me to see a little more than it sounds like although that hinders our ability to shorten the game.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I've noticed that most teams that don't use tempo often usually struggle when they go to it too much. It's probably good for a change of pace though.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
We have tried hurry up a few times throughout the year, and probably did it best against U$C right off the get. It worked, until we got to the red zone and for some reason kept trying a fade to Eifert, and the timing just wasn't down. I imagine that we will do it at some point. I find myself struggling to imagine us doing it often. Heck, we couldn't even get the first play of the game off against MSU and had to burn a time out.

It won't be a crazy no huddle or hurry up style, and I definitely don't think it would be something Bama adjust to.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I kind of hope they try. It's something that takes a lot of practice to really use more than for the occasional play. I've seen it more often in some situations, for instance trying to convert a third of fourth down and not wanting the defense to make substitutions (that part seems to be the main application of it, preventing subs), and I get the logic of that but I think it can be dangerous to try it consistently without a lot of practice.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Why is it that Bama is always the victim of these?

Garcia, Mettenberger, and now Manziel.
It isn't that you are always victim to these, it is that it requires this sort of performance to derail Alabama right now. Other teams falter/fall to lesser teams because they are not focused or simply not as good/deep as advertised. Alabama seems to be prepared every week, has great depth and is motivated - so it takes this sort of performance. Frankly, you remember them because they are the only "blips" in the last 2 seasons, in which you are completely destroying every team that doesn't get this sort of performance from their QB. The lone exception - the regular season game against LSU last year - a game lost as a result of 5 missed FGs.

What does that tell us? That Alabama can lose, but it will take one of those type of games for it to happen.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Realized that I didn't address the question posed in the thread title - I think that ND will try, but it will hurt their game plan if they do it too much. They cannot outscore Alabama in an offensive slug-fest, so if they try an up tempo game, they damage their chances of winning. Their best hope is to keep Alabama close and hope that Alabama makes a mistake.

The more chances they take with their offense, the worse their chances are of winning that type of game - same goes for Alabama, IMO. That is why I expect this to be a game that both teams put on their running games, not their QBs.

taddy

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 25, 2012
My guess would be Kelly will only run a hurry up package when he sees the personnel packages he likes on the field. I'm sure both coaches will put in plays/schemes especially for the game but I can't see either coach deviating too much from what got them there.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.