Mosley vs. Te'o

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I was bored this morning and looked up the stats on Mosley and Te'o. I couldn't find a thread giving this information if I missed it my apologies.

Mosley 99 Tackles, 7 tackles for loss, 4 sacks, and 2 interceptions.
Te'o 103 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks and 7 interceptions.
and Mosley has a TD as well.

They are pretty close, and Mosley doesn't play when the opposition goes to a power formation he subs out for bigger LB's. Te'o is an excellent player, but would not have received the hype he got without wearing a gold helmet. Mosley playing the same number of snaps as Te'o would dwarf Te'o's stats.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Te'o reminds me a lot of LSU's "honey badger" last year. His stats are on-par with other solid LBs in America, but they do not stand out in any category except one - turnovers. That doesn't make him better than his peers - just luckier.

Lester had 8 INTs his first year as a starter. He has had 6 in the two seasons since. Has he regressed?

Don't get me wrong, this guy is very good, he is just not the super-star that he has been made out to be.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Te'o reminds me a lot of LSU's "honey badger" last year. His stats are on-par with other solid LBs in America, but they do not stand out in any category except one - turnovers. That doesn't make him better than his peers - just luckier.

Lester had 8 INTs his first year as a starter. He has had 6 in the two seasons since. Has he regressed?

Don't get me wrong, this guy is very good, he is just not the super-star that he has been made out to be.
CJ is a tackling machine IMHO but since you mentioned HB compare LSU's Kevin Minter to Te'o.

athlete37

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2012
I am curious as to the level of competition all those stats came from. Did Teo get those from Pittsburgh and Purdue or Oklahoma and USc?
Most of Manti's stats came in the big games (@MSU, U of M, Stanford, Oklahoma, USC, etc.)

12 tackles, FR against MSU. 8 tackles, 2INT's, caused 2 others against U of M. 11 tackles against Stanford and Oklahoma (pick and sack against Oklahoma as well). Int against USC.

He had a combined 24 tackles against Navy, Pitt, BC, and Wake Forest.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
no one is saying that Mosley is a slouch. The love affair with Teo IMO is more because of him being the best player on the #1 team. If Notre Dame was 7-5 this year he wouldnt get nearly as much media coverage

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
The most telling thing about those stats is that CJ isn't an every down backer and, if I'm not mistaken, Manti is.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
At this juncture I'd take Te'o over Mosley because Te'o is an every down player. Mosley is one of the best playmaking linebackers we've had under Saban but the guy hasn't been trusted in base yet by the staff in 3 seasons. Te'o was a deficient ILB in coverage until this season. I think the 7 INTs are somewhat fluky but he shed some useless weight and he's playing a half-step or so faster in his drops and trails this season. He kinda took the career progression of Rolando McClain. He came in as a guy who was an elite gap plugger from his first day on campus but he had to work on the technical and physical issues to become competent in pass coverage.

Mosley was always a unique guy to me even when they were recruiting him. He wasn't big, he didn't look like he'd ever get typical Hightower/Johnson/McClain type of big either. He was also a true ILB who didn't really have a place at OLB. The fact he's been such a huge factor for us surprised me a little bit.

Last edited:

athlete37

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2012
Stats only mean so much. When you have as many three and outs Bama has you don't rack up tackles.
I agree, but I think the same can be said about the ND defense. They've given up two TD drives of 60 yards or more all season and went 10 straight games without giving up such a drive. Either way, both are good players on good defenses.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Te'o has 25 less tackles this season than last, and 30 less than his Sophomore year.
I think this is the point. For the two previous years he's put up better stats, except for the INT's, and few outside of South Bend even knew who he was. ND finally, :wink:, has a good season and he's suddenly Heisman worthy. The kid can obviously play, but he didn't invent, nor even redefine, the LB position.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I agree, but I think the same can be said about the ND defense. They've given up two TD drives of 60 yards or more all season and went 10 straight games without giving up such a drive. Either way, both are good players on good defenses.
I was going to say the same thing. Mosley is probably kinda hurt by not playing in every formation but that is probably due to his own limitations relative to Johnson against heavy sets.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think this is the point. For the two previous years he's put up better stats, except for the INT's, and few outside of South Bend even knew who he was. ND finally, :wink:, has a good season and he's suddenly Heisman worthy. The kid can obviously play, but he didn't invent, nor even redefine, the LB position.
Demeco Ryans' best statistical season at Alabama was 2003 when our defense was abhorrent. You can rack up a lot of tackles on bad defenses because you're often cleaning up somebody's mistake.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I, too, am sick of hearing about Te'o; but of course, if he was getting the hype and played for BAMA, I'd be loving it.

I don't think he was worthy of an Heisman invite, however. That was based PURELY on playing for notre dumb in a dream season.

Overall, both CJ and Manti play their positions well, and are solid LBs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.