Link: 2013 All American Bowl Thread(Army, UA, Semper Fi)

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Tenpenny is an Eddie Lacy type power back. We lose sight of that because of Henry.

Really what we have is Thunder - Tenpenny, Lightening - Jones, and Tsunami - Henry
Henry "Tenpenny" Jones sounds like a good name for a heavyweight boxer...

DurdenTider

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2011
Mobile, AL
Not trying to start anything here b/c I know Henry is a RB but he looked good in the few formation that they had him at FB/HB. I could definitely see him getting on the field quicker as a FB/HB like Fowler was doing earlier this year. Remember, CNS was using him at FB and then would line him up at RB on the next play.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Second time the announcer has commented on the fact that Bama has several top RB commitments First time he wondered if Tenpenny might flip to Ark. Second time he says there's "only one ball".

No such comments about any other team, even when he points out that ATM has 10 recruits who can play for WR.

Interesting.
Let's consider this year. Alabama has two thousand yard rushers, and one of those was a true freshman. They also didn't get to use some of the packages they wanted to because of injuries. Finally, a walk-on got significant playing time (twice as many attempts at Corey Grant did after transferring to Auburn). The only thing that would keep any of those guys off the field is if they are not healthy, or if they are simply not cut out for playing at an SEC level.

As we saw this year, the bottle neck sorts itself out very quickly. I assume there will be a redshirt on who ever needs it, and instant playing time for who ever doesn't. This is a non-issue. Lacy will be gone after this year, Yeldon will be gone in a couple of years, and injuries will happen (at any school, Alabama doesn't abuse their backs like some).

I think some people are so locked into the three year running back at Alabama that they forget that most running backs play for 5 years. If you play running back at Alabama, and you're any good, you'll see the field.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Let's consider this year. Alabama has two thousand yard rushers, and one of those was a true freshman. They also didn't get to use some of the packages they wanted to because of injuries. Finally, a walk-on got significant playing time (twice as many attempts at Corey Grant did after transferring to Auburn). The only thing that would keep any of those guys off the field is if they are not healthy, or if they are simply not cut out for playing at an SEC level.

As we saw this year, the bottle neck sorts itself out very quickly. I assume there will be a redshirt on who ever needs it, and instant playing time for who ever doesn't. This is a non-issue. Lacy will be gone after this year, Yeldon will be gone in a couple of years, and injuries will happen (at any school, Alabama doesn't abuse their backs like some).

I think some people are so locked into the three year running back at Alabama that they forget that most running backs play for 5 years. If you play running back at Alabama, and you're any good, you'll see the field.

And the NFL! That is a huge lure for these young men.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
But would Grant have beaten out Howell?
I like Howell a lot. Great work ethic and there is absolutely no question that people like him are part of the reason teams like Alabama win championships. However, he's averaged 2.7 yards per rush and never looked like he was capable of doing much more than that. Grant's unimpressive 3.2 average is backed up by discernible ability.

Clearly, Howell was playing because there wasn't anyone else left to play. He's done an admirable job, but you would much rather have a more physically capable player that close to major playing time.

But, he's graduating anyway. The point being clearly there's room for multiple people to come in and play right away.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
There is a place for a lot backs and I think our backfield shows the best case for each side of the coin: Lacy waited for his chance and seized it; Yeldon came in and immediately played.

Bamalawdawg

3rd Team
Dec 28, 2011
There is a place for a lot backs and I think our backfield shows the best case for each side of the coin: Lacy waited for his chance and seized it; Yeldon came in and immediately played.
Yeldon was certainly in the right place at the right time. So were Mark and Trent.

One of the true freshman should be right in that perfect spot too, with the advantage to Henry as an EE. The others may have to spend some time as a redshirt or third wheel like Lacy was to Mark and Trent for a time.

Plenty of room for two 800+ yard runners every year and some mixed ru s to 3rd and 4th backs.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
I like Howell a lot. Great work ethic and there is absolutely no question that people like him are part of the reason teams like Alabama win championships. However, he's averaged 2.7 yards per rush and never looked like he was capable of doing much more than that.
Not to disagree with you, but Howell averaged that amount because he was given the ball on obvious run plays in mop-up duty, with 2nd string blockers, versus mad defenses.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Not to disagree with you, but Howell averaged that amount because he was given the ball on obvious run plays in mop-up duty, with 2nd string blockers, versus mad defenses.
I'm really not knocking the guy, but comparing a walk-on senior to a four star sophomore is a tough comparison. I like Howell, I appreciate him, but I watched him play. He wasn't a threat to do a whole lot. Was he better than a lot of backs I've seen? Sure, but I don't think there's any real debate on whether Alabama would have given those touches to a younger guy/someone with a bit more natural talent had he been available.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.