Link: Orange Bowl rep to NIU: We didn't even want you here

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
With a SOS ranking of 114, I don't know how you say that with a straight face.
LOL - yeah, can't argue with that, but 21-1 is so much better than Wisconsin's record, no matter what their SoS might be.

CrimsonForever1

3rd Team
Aug 22, 2012
What?????? Were you kicked off the Buckeyes board for making nonsense comments like this????
Last year more than half of the country screamed as Alabama was given a second chance at beating LSU in the BCSCG. How much did you care that they disagreed with the BCS? The BCS has been very kind to Alabama two years in a row. If I were an Alabama fan, I would try to overlook its minor problems.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I never said that Alabama was lucky, so please stop with that stuff. My posts and my feelings are consistent - Alabama is the best team, has the best coaching staff, and has the best program in America right now. Don't make me out to be something that I am not just because we disagree about this subject.
You injected Alabama into the discussion.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
I hope the sisters of the poor get skull drug. I can think of about 10 teams off the top of my head that should have been in the game ahead of NIU, they should have never been ranked as high as they were. Im so tired of this feel good everybody gets a trophy crap. Go Noles! 48-14

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I never said that Alabama was lucky, so please stop with that stuff. My posts and my feelings are consistent - Alabama is the best team, has the best coaching staff, and has the best program in America right now. Don't make me out to be something that I am not just because we disagree about this subject.
I agree NIU shouldn't be ridiculed for being in their BCS game. The system put them there, just like we got to the NC game this year and last as trh best one loss team. the rules of non-automatic qualifiers put them there.They are a better team than Wisconsin or Louisville. Don't worry if one or two try to call u out. You've posted long enough for us to know that you present a pretty fair perspective. My gripe with the BCS is limiting the amount of teams from one conference; we are in the middle of a great run for our conference and I see it continuing for a while, so this may sound biased,but I'd rather see top teams against other top teams in the "big" bowl games, even if that means a second SEC team in the future gets left out to a third team from the "power" conference in 10 years. I just want to see good football and I think OU or uga would've created a better game, but NIU may prove me wrong.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Clearly the Orange Bowl Committee was stuck with NIU so they have to make the best of it. Entice viewers by playing up the David-vs-Goliath perspective.

As for me, I'll be pulling for Goliath. A win - or even a close game by NIU - will give credence to demands that the FBS anklebiters be guaranteed seats at the large-payout bowl table. In this scenario, there will likely be a year when Alabama is on the outside looking in while a CUSA or similar team (UAB anyone? Troy maybe?) is getting the big payout. I'm too much of a Bama homer to desire any outcome that could work to the detriment of (1) Alabama; and (2) other SEC schools.

Alabama holds the all-time record for margin of bowl victory. In the 1950s Bama beat Syracuse by something like 66-6 in the... um... Orange Bowl, I think. I'm OK with it if FSU establishes a new bowl victory record. (Not that I think it'll happen...)

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
NIU is in because they are the highest-ranked non-AQ conference champ AND are ranked higher than two AQ conference champs - Wisconsin and Louisville. The BCS selection rules stipulate that such a team get an at-large berth. Blame the Big East and Big 10, Congress, and even the BCS powers that be (including the bowl committees), but NIU is blameless and, under the rules, deserving; and assuming the report is true, the Orange Bowl rep is a classless clown who, I hope, will no longer be an Orange Bowl rep after this display.

I agree NIU shouldn't be ridiculed for being in their BCS game. The system put them there, just like we got to the NC game this year and last as trh best one loss team. the rules of non-automatic qualifiers put them there.They are a better team than Wisconsin or Louisville. Don't worry if one or two try to call u out. You've posted long enough for us to know that you present a pretty fair perspective. My gripe with the BCS is limiting the amount of teams from one conference; we are in the middle of a great run for our conference and I see it continuing for a while, so this may sound biased,but I'd rather see top teams against other top teams in the "big" bowl games, even if that means a second SEC team in the future gets left out to a third team from the "power" conference in 10 years. I just want to see good football and I think OU or uga would've created a better game, but NIU may prove me wrong.
The 2 team rule was one of those conditions everyone probably had to agree upon but no one really liked. No conference was going to let the possibility of another conference get multiple teams past 2 into the equation.

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY
I will definitely not jump on the "Go NIU" wagon. I hate seeing them in a major bowl the same as I hated seeing past TCU/Boise St. matchups. Why not FSU/UF or FSU/UGA? That is more impressive then a MAC win streak, right? It is a lose/lose for FSU. If they win, they really have not proven anything, they have just done what they are supposed to do. If wanting to see the best of the best play in major bowls makes me a college football elitist... Well, then, I guess I am a football elitist.

However, none of this changes anything. I know a great coach who would say, "It is what it is..." So here is hoping for a good game to watch, at least.

tru2thaduce

All-SEC
Nov 25, 2005
Wichita,Kansas
I'm pulling for FSU in this one.The more teams like NIU get thrashed in these games the more likely in the future we will get to see the teams like Georgia and South Carolina that deserve BCS games.Really a no win situation for the Noles though.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I hope the bowl rep gets vindicated but he likely just stoked the fires...NIU will be playing like the galaxy's fate rests on their performance when nobody will care if they win or lose in a week or two. Who talks about Utah anymore besides butthurt SEC rivals?

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
I agree NIU shouldn't be ridiculed for being in their BCS game. The system put them there, just like we got to the NC game this year and last as trh best one loss team. the rules of non-automatic qualifiers put them there.They are a better team than Wisconsin or Louisville. Don't worry if one or two try to call u out. You've posted long enough for us to know that you present a pretty fair perspective.
How can you know this? NIU played a MAC schedule and lost to 4-8 Iowa. Do you seriously think that Wisconsin or Louisville would have lost to Iowa and not gone undefeated against NIU's remaining schedule?

Here's NIU's schedule after Iowa: Tennessee-Martin, Army, Kansas, Central Michigan, Ball State, Buffalo, Akron, Western Michigan, UMass, Toledo, Eastern Michigan, Kent State.

I can't see Wisconsin or Louisville doing anything but going undefeated against that schedule.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.