Link: Orange Bowl rep to NIU: We didn't even want you here

What the heck has happened to the Orange Bowl? It is a crying shame how far it has fallen. From Virginia Tech and Kansas to a 70-33 West Virginia win over Clemson to that laugher last night. It used to be one of my favorite bowl games. Now, I just cringe when it comes time to announce the bowl match ups, because I know that that one will be one of the worst.
I know. I wish we can go back to the hallowed days when the likes of Bucknell and Holy Cross got to play in the game.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
I know. I wish we can go back to the hallowed days when the likes of Bucknell and Holy Cross got to play in the game.
From the 1970s to the start of the Bowl Coalition era, the Orange Bowl was probably the best of all of the bowls. During that span it featured many game of historic significance.

One of the great things about the Orange Bowl was that it almost the last one to end since the half-time show was so long, so college football fans had to stay up late to find out how it impacted the national title picture. (The Miami-Nebraska game is a prime example)

No one is saying to go back to the 1930s. All we're saying is that the Orange Bowl (not the BCSCG) seems to have been especially hard hit by the BCS system.

The Cotton Bowl is the only other bowl that has lost as much luster, but that started before the BCS.

From the 1970s to the start of the Bowl Coalition era, the Orange Bowl was probably the best of all of the bowls. During that span it featured many game of historic significance.

One of the great things about the Orange Bowl was that it almost the last one to end since the half-time show was so long, so college football fans had to stay up late to find out how it impacted the national title picture. (The Miami-Nebraska game is a prime example)

No one is saying to go back to the 1930s. All we're saying is that the Orange Bowl (not the BCSCG) seems to have been especially hard hit by the BCS system.

The Cotton Bowl is the only other bowl that has lost as much luster, but that started before the BCS.
The Cotton Bowl has actually gotten a lot more luster recently since it's usually a really good SEC team against a Big 12 team, it's on prime time by itself, and it's on broadcast television. Not to mention they play the game in Jerry World.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Agree about the Cotton Bowl. It has had a recent resurgance, but it really fell on hard times for a while when the Fiesta Bowl overshadowed it.

The Cotton Bowl really needed a dome to be able to compete. Dallas is a lot like Atlanta when it comes to January weather - it might be 70 and sunny or you might get an ice storm.

Last edited:
Clemson and West Virginia. Granted, it was a blowout and held after the New Year's Day rotation, but the fact remains... a game involving Northern Illinois got a better rating. The belief that they would hurt ratings is being shown to be invalid.
Yeah, it is shocking to me. Last year's game actually wasn't a blow out until the second half. Even though ratings were up, the game was still terrible.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.