Link: Orange Bowl rep to NIU: We didn't even want you here

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Agree totally. If they consistently schedule and beat big name teams, fine. But no one, apart from Midwesterners, wants to watch the MAC in major bowls.
The much bigger problem is that it gives minor FBS conferences leverage to demand a spot in the playoffs and a much bigger cut of the payout.

If NIU wins this game, expect 1 loss SEC teams to be left out of the playoffs in favor of undefeated MAC champions.

I am not trying to argue, but what I indicated was that no one, apart from the Midwest, would like to watch MAC teams in major bowls... I do not want to see Toledo in the Sugar Bowl, Miami OH in the Fiesta Bowl, or Bowling Green play on New Year's Day.

I am sorry if I was not clear. I am watching the game right now because that is the only football on. However, given a preference, I would rather be watching UGA/FSU or something similar. I suspect a lot of people would rather, as well.
And there's the rub: You're still watching it because it's on, thus proving the teams really don't matter. I'm not trying to mess with you, but when people complain about the pairings of a game yet still watch them... the arguments kind of become moot at that point.

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY
And there's the rub: You're still watching it because it's on, thus proving the teams really don't matter. I'm not trying to mess with you, but when people complain about the pairings of a game yet still watch them... the arguments kind of become moot at that point.
Sure. Enjoy the matchup. But, more importantly, Roll Tide.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Before we crown NIU as TV ratings gold, let's wait and see how the ratings turn out. Yeah, regular posters on a college football forum are going to tune into the only bowl game available, but that's not saying much.

The ratings will probably be decent at first just because of the curiousity factor, but I expect the numbers to drop like a rock on in half hour interval.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
They deserve to be there as much as Alabama deserves to be in the BCSCG. They followed the exact same set of rules.
You are insanely wrong with that comment- by the way, how about removing your Ohio St. icon. People will think that you are nothing but a Buckeye with post like this one.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
This is an Alabama board, right? I was simply adding perspective. It was lost on you guys, so I failed.
For the good of the thread, you should probably edit or delete your original post. A few new members that don't know you and haven't read through the thread where you clarified your comments are interpreting your original post wrong (especially after seeing your avatar).

For those of you that don't know B1GTide, he is a friend to the program. (I'll leave it to him to elaborate)

Last edited:

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
They deserve to be there as much as Alabama deserves to be in the BCSCG. They followed the exact same set of rules.
They don't deserve to be there. Herbstreit was right. It's a joke. There are many more teams that are much more deserving of the Orange Bowl. I mean no disrepect to NIU, but they don't belong in the Orange Bowl.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
By losing to a 4-8 Iowa team?
You misunderstand - I did not say that they deserve to be in the BCSCG. I said that they deserved to be in their BCS bowl and played under the same BCS rules/formulae that put Alabama in the BCSCG.

They played very well last night - in the game and within a TD going into the 4th qtr. They simply didn't have the depth to hang with FSU.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You misunderstand - I did not say that they deserve to be in the BCSCG. I said that they deserved to be in their BCS bowl and played under the same BCS rules/formulae that put Alabama in the BCSCG.
#1 vs #2 is kind of a no-brainer, regardless of rules.

That said, I'd argue that neither of those teams deserved a BCS bid. Rules are rules, yeah, I get it, and the conferences agreed to them - I get that, too. But the finances involved in the BCS games make a significant difference in how profitable a school / conference can be, so the current BCS rules are terrible. Neither of those teams deserved a BCS bowl over Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M or USEe.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
#1 vs #2 is kind of a no-brainer, regardless of rules.
You would think so, but how many of these did we get before the BCS - so it was far from a no-brainer. The BCS is a great system in that it gives us that one game. In order to get that game, the fans sacrificed all the rest. For me, as an OSU fan and college football fan in general, it has been worth it. For Alabama or SEC fans - WOW!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You would think so, but how many of these did we get before the BCS - so it was far from a no-brainer.
Nah, every bowl wanted it, but due to bowl-tie-ins it was often difficult. Yes, the BCS provided the obvious answer, and for that I'm thankful, but most of the rest of the rules are garbage.

Nah, every bowl wanted it, but due to bowl-tie-ins it was often difficult. Yes, the BCS provided the obvious answer, and for that I'm thankful, but most of the rest of the rules are garbage.
That's basically all they wanted was the obvious answer. They were short-sighted on everything else. But nobody back then knew the SEC would be this dominant.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
...... No!!! It was a yes or no question..... Up until you brought Bama into the equation, I thought you had some pretty good posts, then you told us on our board, how you really think.....
You are looking for a reason to feel insulted where nothing exists. You are reading things into that post that are not there. That isn't on me, and it isn't a reflection of my thinking.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That's basically all they wanted was the obvious answer. They were short-sighted on everything else. But nobody back then knew the SEC would be this dominant.
Great point - for decades the "power" had been well distributed across the "BCS" conferences. While the specific BCS team selection process has always been a mess, the biggest culprit has always been the Rose Bowl. They really messed up some great possible games with their PAC/B1G alignment. But no one really cared until recently, when the power shifted to the SEC and the other conferences fell off so precipitously. Now the top 10 is dominated by one conference, so many great teams are left out by a deal that only allows 2 teams/conference "in".

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
For me, the final score had no bearing on determining if NIU "belonged" their or not. I watched that entire game and for about 85% of the game NIU couldn't hardly muster up enough to physically challenge FSU on most plays. It was embarrassing to say the least. Thank goodness FSU was as inconsistent as they were in execution or this game would have been 31-3 at the half. I'm not sure if the game was sold out or not but from several camera shots there were a ton of empty seats.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.