Link: Orange Bowl rep to NIU: We didn't even want you here

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Last year more than half of the country screamed as Alabama was given a second chance at beating LSU in the BCSCG. How much did you care that they disagreed with the BCS? The BCS has been very kind to Alabama two years in a row. If I were an Alabama fan, I would try to overlook its minor problems.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I'm saying the BCS was designed for that very purpose: To pit #1 and #2 against each other. You can have all the impressions about the system you want, but the fact remains it was never designed to do anything past getting the top two teams together.
What you say is true. I think most people are just upset about the fact that the highest level bowl games are very rarely good matchups. They should put the best teams in the best bowls, not just the championship game. It will be interesting to see how the playoff works out.

I think we are talking past each other. We don't care about how the BCS was designed. We don't care about what the rules state. We aren't saying that Louisville or NIU or Wisconsin cheated or subverted the system to get into these games. We are saying that they don't deserve to be there and that a system that put them there is flawed and should be fixed.
I'm not saying that at all. I have no problem with NIU being there. It impacts me in no way whatsoever. As long as #1 and #2 get put together, I don't really sweat the rest of the pairings. I'm watching regardless.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think we are talking past each other. We don't care about how the BCS was designed. We don't care about what the rules state. We aren't saying that Louisville or NIU or Wisconsin cheated or subverted the system to get into these games. We are saying that they don't deserve to be there and that a system that put them there is flawed and should be fixed.
I agree with this post, but don't feel that a school like NIU should be sneered at in the process. They did what was asked of them. Can't we just be happy for them? This is, far and away, the best thing that ever happened to their program. Instead of being able to enjoy it, they have to deal with scorn and ridicule.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Last year more than half of the country screamed as Alabama was given a second chance at beating LSU in the BCSCG. How much did you care that they disagreed with the BCS? The BCS has been very kind to Alabama two years in a row. If I were an Alabama fan, I would try to overlook its minor problems.
Your true colors are starting to show through......might want to tone down the "Bama was lucky" type posts......those don't play well out here.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Was it not BCS Championship or bust for Florida fans?
No it wasn't.

We are happy to be 11-1 this year after the past 2 dismal seasons.

We were thrilled to get into the Sugar Bowl.

Were we excited to have a shot at the BCS Championship? Heck yeah! But ultimately Bama and Noter Dame earned that distinction.

I'm sure any team that has won national championships and then goes into the toilet can relate to that scenario.

No it wasn't.

We are happy to be 11-1 this year after the past 2 dismal seasons.

We were thrilled to get into the Sugar Bowl.

Were we excited to have a shot at the BCS Championship? Heck yeah! But ultimately Bama and Noter Dame earned that distinction.

I'm sure any team that has won national championships and then goes into the toilet can relate to that scenario.
I stand corrected then, but going back to previous posts... I still can't see how Florida are "victims" in this situation.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Actually bowl tie-ins are a problem too. It would be cool if they dropped it and placed top 10 teams against each other. After next year it will be less of a problem with the Semifinal setup (quarterfinal) for the SEC ;).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I guess I'd just rather see Florida State play Texas A&M or Georgia in the Orange Bowl.
I am not a very articulate person, so I find it dificult to express why I feel the way that I feel - but I know that I will be an NIU fan tonight.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I stand corrected then, but going back to previous posts... I still can't see how Florida are "victims" in this situation.
You could argue the term 'victim' applies if the discussion centers around a flawed system.

I don't know any #3 ranked team who would want to play a #21 ranked team in their BCS bowl.

To that position.....victim is an appropriate word, IMO.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Your true colors are starting to show through......might want to tone down the "Bama was lucky" type posts......those don't play well out here.
I never said that Alabama was lucky, so please stop with that stuff. My posts and my feelings are consistent - Alabama is the best team, has the best coaching staff, and has the best program in America right now. Don't make me out to be something that I am not just because we disagree about this subject.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
It's not like they are playing in the championship game. They have won 21 of their last 22 games - better than any other team in college football. IMO, they deserve to play in a game like this as much as any other team in America.
With a SOS ranking of 114, I don't know how you say that with a straight face.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.