DE Chris Jones Updates (Miss. State Commitment)

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
I think that his HS coaches are going to do everything they can to block any school other than MSU. He will takes his OV this weekend to MSU and my guess is that will be it.

You are correct I believe. This one is a done tater. Too late to the party as this guy came out of nowhere.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
You are correct I believe. This one is a done tater. Too late to the party as this guy came out of nowhere.
I know kids can get overlooked, but where was this kid on the camp circuit? If his coaches really are steering him to MSU, is there a chance, they intentionally kept him low profile?? It's tough to imagine a kid with his size and athleticism not getting invited to combines/ camps and not standing out. He may be somewhat raw technique-wise, but his athleticism would've stood out in a major way.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
TIFWIW, but I heard the reason his coaches are slightly shielding him, is that MSU was there when he was a relative nobody. They recruited him from the beginning, and gave him his first offer before he was on anyone's radar. So they think, as it seems he does, that they deserve all the face time...

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Going to be a lot sooner than you think, with the rise of OM and all of the attrition MSU will have this offseason. If he is still there after three more seasons I would be floored.

Not that any of that apparently matters to Jones, of course, who looks MSU bound.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Mullen is a good enough coach but I think their absolute ceiling is 9 wins. They're probably going to hover around that 7-5/8-4 threshold. Still, consistent winning seasons is good for them. The fans will start to expect more though...and he'll get canned after one bad year.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Mullen is a good enough coach but I think their absolute ceiling is 9 wins. They're probably going to hover around that 7-5/8-4 threshold. Still, consistent winning seasons is good for them. The fans will start to expect more though...and he'll get canned after one bad year.
Nine wins is the absolute ceiling, and that is with a laughable OOC schedule and a patsy bowl opponent. If they play some quality non-conference competition and get a halfway decent bowl opponent, the ceiling is probably seven, maybe eight with a bit of luck.

As I've said on here before, with all of the seniors he had this year at MSU, this was as good as it will ever get in Starkvegas under Mullen, and he still only went 8-5, got blown out by the SEC powers, and had 14+ point losses to Ole Miss and Northwestern. And the only thing that even kept them at that level of success was the implosions from Auburn and Arkansas, otherwise they would have been languishing around 6-6.

Again, it's all downhill from here in Starkvegas for Mullen. Goofy, little brother billboards and porous recruiting classes only do so much.

dawgsfan1973

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 20, 2012
I think that his HS coaches are going to do everything they can to block any school other than MSU. He will takes his OV this weekend to MSU and my guess is that will be it.
yep. he said earlier coach wilson was why he picked msu, but he changed his tune after coach wilson was hired away to uga. if he is to visit anyone it would be to uga due to coach wilson, but i doubt that happens. i don't see his coaching staff allowing him to go anywhere else.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
yep. he said earlier coach wilson was why he picked msu, but he changed his tune after coach wilson was hired away to uga. if he is to visit anyone it would be to uga due to coach wilson, but i doubt that happens. i don't see his coaching staff allowing him to go anywhere else.
HA HA HA Dude your trolling IF he visits ,it will be OLE MISS and BAMA. Other than MSU. UGA in't in the mix at all. He called UF and told them thanks for your intrest ,but no thank u.

dawgsfan1973

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 20, 2012
HA HA HA Dude your trolling IF he visits ,it will be OLE MISS and BAMA. Other than MSU. UGA in't in the mix at all. He called UF and told them thanks for your intrest ,but no thank u.
didn't say uga was in it for him. I said i can see him visiting uga due to his relationship with coach wilson. they are very close. i meant to say I don't see him visiting anyone, but msu and if he was going to visit uga it was only due to coach wilson. his staff is going to do what they can to make sure he stays an msu commit.

Last edited:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
In terms of substantive updates on Jones, he essentially turned down all of the overtures from Florida. We are still trying to get him on campus for an official visit, but we're running out of time and it doesn't seem like he intends to renege on Mississippi State.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
MSU got on him early. They've got a rooted relationship now and I think he respects that they offered when others didn't even think he was CUSA caliber.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Maybe he was comfortable casting his lot with a C-USA caliber school. Been watching the Bullies up close for 50 years now and cannot see them elevating their game any further or see Mullen as anything but Urban Lite(r).

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Anyone know our chances of at least getting a visit from Chris Jones?
Doubtful he'd visit; even if he visited, he's got a lot of pressure to stay home from what I've read. Assuming he continues to develop and doesn't have injury/school/ character problems, he's in the NFL regardless of where he goes to college.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Maybe he was comfortable casting his lot with a C-USA caliber school. Been watching the Bullies up close for 50 years now and cannot see them elevating their game any further or see Mullen as anything but Urban Lite(r).
Given State's history, Urban Ultra Lite would be a clear improvement.

Meanwhile, the "Every Kid Should Want to Play for the Best Program" argument ignores history -- our own. When we were floating belly up, thank god some kids fell back on love or loyalty or some other reason for casting their lots with us.

There can be more to this decision than picking the best team. Why belittle it?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
He took a secret visit to Oxford this weekend.
He may have intended for it to be secretive, but if so that didn't work at all. Most highly-touted recruiting weekend of the year for OM, and Jones is right there.

Don't know if it means anything, but he has the MSU people worked up in a frenzy. Would love to see Alabama get an official visit next weekend, but nothing to indicate that just yet. Hopefully the door is slightly open, though.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
He may have intended for it to be secretive, but if so that didn't work at all. Most highly-touted recruiting weekend of the year for OM, and Jones is right there.

Don't know if it means anything, but he has the MSU people worked up in a frenzy. Would love to see Alabama get an official visit next weekend, but nothing to indicate that just yet. Hopefully the door is slightly open, though.
Hmm....wonder what his HS coaches think of this....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.