Question: Are other conferences/teams close to being good as SEC/Bama?

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I know it is a source of pride with SEC teams that we are the best of the best. Having said that....are other conferences and teams making headway to being as good as us?

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
We've got our weak spots across the board, and I do believe that the wolverines and nebraska both did much better than everyone expected for the big 10. That goes for wisconsin vs stanford as well. I thought the game would have been a blow out. This was a "laughable" year for the big ten, but they did have an undefeated ohio and teams that really did show up for the bowl games.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The conference with the best chance to challenge us is the Pac 10 --

Stanford, Oregon, and USCw are the current big 3 -- upstart programs in Oregon State and UCLA are next --

They can't compete with us 1-6 -- but if they can get a Zona, or Washington to step up -- they could be the closest that is out there.

Only My Opinion -- but I think they have the means to recruit the team speed element that most other conferences lack.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It starts and ends with coaching, and I think that the only conference that is even trying to keep up is the B1G. Hoke, Meyer and Dantonio are legit, and O'Brien looks solid. Ferentz is up and down, but is a solid coach. Not sold on Pelini, and not sure who will take over at Wisconsin. Fitzgerald is starting to put things together at Northwestern, but that probably means that he is about to move on. Not SEC caliber coaching, top to bottom, but certainly on the up-swing.

Not sure what Maryland and Rutgers will do to help us raise the bar, but they put us in two more very large media markets.

Last edited:

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
There are some individual teams that could probably hang with most of the SEC.

Stanford, Oregon and Oklahoma are three that come to mind.

As a whole, I think the SEC is still far beyond any other individual conference. The Pac-12 is probably the closest to producing the quality depth that the SEC enjoys.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
While I like to see the SEC go off in the bowl season (except for Auburn of course, oh wait...) I don't think it is a fair comparison to compare conference bowl records simply because we aren't playing #1 from SEC against #1 from Big10 or Pac 12 etc.

It would be kinda cool if that might happen, but it never will with multiple bowl games, BSC tie ins and upcoming playoff.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
It starts and ends with coaching, and I think that the only conference that is even trying to keep up is the B1G. Hoke, Meyer and Dantonio are legit, and O'Brien looks solid. Ferentz is up and down, but is a solid coach. Not sold on Pelini, and not sure who will take over at Wisconsin. Fitzgerald is starting to put things together at Northwestern, but that probably means that he is about to move on. Not SEC caliber coaching, top to bottom, but certainly on the up-swing.

Not sure what Maryland and Rutgers will do to help us raise the bar, but they put us in two more very large media markets.
The thing is, the Big 10 has been irrelevant for several years -- Since 1998, only 3 Big 10 Teams have played in a NCG -- and all three were OSU -- and two of them were brutal performances.....

No Michigan, No Mich St, No Penn State, No Wisconsin......

Your 3X Rose Bowl Conference Champ Coach just left to take over the 7th-8th best team in the SEC -- that wouldn't have happened in the Big 12, Pac 10, or even the ACC

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
The top tier of the SEC is better than the top tier of any conference in the country. Big 10 would be close, as would be Pac-12. But match the top 3-4 from each conference 10 times and the SEC probably wins 8 out of 10.

You step down to the lower tiers and things get more interesting. How would Ole Mrs. or Kentucky fare against Arizona or Wazzou? Northwestern--jokingly called Vandy North--put a whuppin on Mrs. State.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The top tier of the SEC is better than the top tier of any conference in the country. Big 10 would be close, as would be Pac-12. But match the top 3-4 from each conference 10 times and the SEC probably wins 8 out of 10.

You step down to the lower tiers and things get more interesting. How would Ole Mrs. or Kentucky fare against Arizona or Wazzou? Northwestern--jokingly called Vandy North--put a whuppin on Mrs. State.
Didn't every team with a pulse put a whippin' on Mrs. State this year? :)

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

Utah State's Gary Anderson is the new coach at Wisconsin.

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
I think the gap gas been closed some. This year Arkansas and abarn really let the conference down. I was taking to an A&M fan that admitted he wad really surprised with the success they had this year. He said prior to Petrino's bike ride and abarn players quiting on chiz he expected at best to split those two games if not dropped both. Those two really disgraced the conference this year, especially the west.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Your 3X Rose Bowl Conference Champ Coach just left to take over the 7th-8th best team in the SEC -- that wouldn't have happened in the Big 12, Pac 10, or even the ACC
He didn't leave the B1G - he left Wisconsin. Why? Because Wisconsin has never paid its head coaches. Not sure why, but they just never have. We have a number of programs that are willing to pay top dollar for a great coach.

As for the lack of championships over the last decade or so - that is a part of the ebb and flow of this game. The SEC is on top right now, but that will change.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
He didn't leave the B1G - he left Wisconsin. Why? Because Wisconsin has never paid its head coaches. Not sure why, but they just never have. We have a number of programs that are willing to pay top dollar for a great coach.

As for the lack of championships over the last decade or so - that is a part of the ebb and flow of this game. The SEC is on top right now, but that will change.
The Big 10 has won 3 Championships since 1968 (including Michigan's split in 1997)

What decade was The Big 10's decade?

The SEC has won 14 since 1968 --

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The Big 10 has won 3 Championships since 1968 (including Michigan's split in 1997)

What decade was The Big 10's decade?

The SEC has won 14 since 1968 --
This thread is about the future, not the past. If you hate the B1G, no sweat - but that has nothing to do with this thread.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
This thread is about the future, not the past. If you hate the B1G, no sweat - but that has nothing to do with this thread.
Don't hate the Big 10 -- that was my point -- what's there to hate?

Now -- I do tire of the un-earned respect that most of the Big 10 feels entitled to.....

With regards to the future -- the question was about what conference could challenge the SEC in the near future -- I said "Pac 10" you said "Big 10" -- and used Coaching as your justification -- I responded with your 3x Championship team just lost their Coach to our 7th or 8th best team.

Not sure how you think they'll challenge us soon

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.